Is Schizophrenia a form of Demonic Posession ?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Is Schizophrenia a form of Demonic Posession ?

Post by Philip »

His real name is Shirley!
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

LittleHamster wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:07 pm We have a case here where a man says he is the second coming of Christ - just after running over and killing six people, injuring dozens more. He is diagnosed possibly as being schizo. Seems there may have been a fair bit of drug use involved as well.

I don't think anyone in his "right" mind would do such a thing. When is say "right" mind, I mean that which is close to our true (loving) nature.

I suspect that drug use opened up his psychological doorway to the other side and he got possessed. It's terrible stuff to go through and the horror it caused was far worse.
It does not sound like Demon possession to me but just mental illness and drug abuse.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

abelcainsbrother wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:31 pm
LittleHamster wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:07 pm We have a case here where a man says he is the second coming of Christ - just after running over and killing six people, injuring dozens more. He is diagnosed possibly as being schizo. Seems there may have been a fair bit of drug use involved as well.

I don't think anyone in his "right" mind would do such a thing. When is say "right" mind, I mean that which is close to our true (loving) nature.

I suspect that drug use opened up his psychological doorway to the other side and he got possessed. It's terrible stuff to go through and the horror it caused was far worse.
It does not sound like Demon possession to me but just mental illness and drug abuse.
Unless the Holy Spirit shows us/tells us, we'll never know for sure what the cause is. I'm guessing it's a combination of both. Maybe bi-polar and subsequently attracted some nasty spirit(s) which influenced him. Either way, there's always a chance he can receive a healing in prison (& get saved too).
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Philip wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:47 am His real name is Shirley!
JoshuaLopez
Newbie Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by JoshuaLopez »

I don't believe that just because a person is doing evil doesn't mean it's possession, but schizophrenia, from what I know and then think, is when you hear a voice or maybe more talking to you. You might feel like people are reading your mind. You might feel you have superpowers. God already knows the future. It is already there waiting to happen. Just for it to reach that time. The maniac of gadara was possessed. So that man could've been possessed too.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Hi Joshua,
Welcome to the forum.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-schizophrenia.html
There are also those who believe schizophrenia is spiritual in nature, as in demon possession. This idea comes from the Bible’s accounts of people whose symptoms appear to mirror schizophrenia. While demon possession is possible in some cases, it is unlikely to be the cause for the majority. Schizophrenics do not have a reaction to the name of Jesus, nor do they possess supernatural knowledge. Also, when the biblical accounts are carefully compared to cases of schizophrenia, the symptoms do not truly look the same (see Luke 4:41).
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
claysmithr
Valued Member

Post by claysmithr »

I believe schizophrenia and bipolar are legit mental illnesses and not a form of demonic possession.
Challenger007
Familiar Member

Post by Challenger007 »

1over137 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:27 am https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-schizophrenia.html
There are also those who believe schizophrenia is spiritual in nature, as in demon possession. This idea comes from the Bible’s accounts of people whose symptoms appear to mirror schizophrenia. While demon possession is possible in some cases, it is unlikely to be the cause for the majority. Schizophrenics do not have a reaction to the name of Jesus, nor do they possess supernatural knowledge. Also, when the biblical accounts are carefully compared to cases of schizophrenia, the symptoms do not truly look the same (see Luke 4:41).
Is there any real evidence of obsession? Or is this reasoning akin to a medieval witch hunt? It's just that very often a strong faith, supported by the necessary "motivation" turns into fanaticism and obscurantism. And such people begin to reject real things (diseases in particular), explaining them with some kind of demonic interventions. How many children with serious illnesses were "treated" by believing parents with the power of prayer, and these children did not survive, and if they did, they became disabled.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by UsagiTsukino »

I mean it seems in the bible there are ways of telling if you are isn't there? I have seizure disorder and I go back to where a woman was seizure and sometimes I wonder if I have demons but if I did I would have rejected God and not be able to go into the house of the lord