God's Ten Commandments? Still valid?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: God's Ten Commandments? Still valid?

Post by BavarianWheels »

Byblos wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:22 am ^ hey I was rather enjoying this (says the cultist Catholic :poke: :mrgreen: ).
Why do you, a "cultic" Catholic, worship on Sunday?

Does your reason for doing so match up to that of Rome's Challenge ?
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

BavarianWheels wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:47 pm
Byblos wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:22 am ^ hey I was rather enjoying this (says the cultist Catholic :poke: :mrgreen: ).

Lol, Bav. That's just not gonna happen. I have neither the time nor the energy to re re re engage with you on this subject.

I'll leave that for Rick. :pound:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

Byblos wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:38 pm

Lol, Bav. That's just not gonna happen. I have neither the time nor the energy to re re re engage with you on this subject.

I'll leave that for Rick. :pound:
You don't have to re re re engage, but I respectfully request an answer to the question.

Do you believe, as the link states, that the RCC changed the day of worship and did so by virtue of her authority?

Or

Do you deny the RCC makes that claim altogether?

Or

Do you "keep" Sunday for another reason not related to the RCC claim?

It's a simple yes or no answer and I can then leave it at that if you don't wish to discuss further.
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

I read the Rome Challenge! It's conclusion is:-

"that of those who follow the Bible as their guide, the Israelites and Seventh-day Adventists have the exclusive weight of evidence on their side, whilst the Biblical Protestant has not a word in self-defense for his substitution of
Sunday for Saturday."

What does it mean ? Is it bad to change the day of rest? Is it a sin to worship/rest on a different day?
Last edited by LittleHamster on Tue May 22, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

LittleHamster wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:41 pm I read the Rome Challenge! It's conclusion is:-

"that of those who follow the Bible as their guide, the Israelites and Seventh-day Adventists have the exclusive weight of evidence on their side, whilst the Biblical Protestant has not a word in self-defense for his substitution of
Sunday for Saturday."

What does it mean ? Is it bad to change the day of rest? Is it a sin to worship/rest on a different day?
Here, Little Hamster. There are links to other articles at the bottom of this article.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

RickD wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:04 pm
LittleHamster wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:41 pm I read the Rome Challenge! It's conclusion is:-

Sunday for Saturday."

Here, Little Hamster. There are links to other articles at the bottom of this article.

Fewwww!. That's a bit more encouraging. It's ok to worship all the time ! Besides, my Sin-count this month is through the roof. I didn't want to add to it anymore - lightning season is over but the ground is just itching to open up and swallow me y#-o
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

Sunday for Saturday."

It means that if the Law points to sin...as Romans tells us a few times, that to do something against what the Law says is to sin.

But again, to follow the law is not to expect the law to save us...and Paul says, “then what? Do we nullify the law? No, we uphold it.” ( my version of Romans 3:31 )

It all depends on what you will do with God’s law...that’s it. Will you do as Paul says to do...or will you do as man tells you to do...that we are “no longer under law”...therefore it’s ok to do what the law says is sinful.
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

BavarianWheels wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Sunday for Saturday."

It means that if the Law points to sin...as Romans tells us a few times, that to do something against what the Law says is to sin.

But again, to follow the law is not to expect the law to save us...and Paul says, “then what? Do we nullify the law? No, we uphold it.” ( my version of Romans 3:31 )

It all depends on what you will do with God’s law...that’s it. Will you do as Paul says to do...or will you do as man tells you to do...that we are “no longer under law”...therefore it’s ok to do what the law says is sinful.
I did exactly the opposite of what Paul said ! It was a bit of a disaster though. I found out the hard way that those who are freed from the "curse of the law", (excuse the expression) "get their a*se reamed if they step out of line"
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

BavarianWheels wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Sunday for Saturday."

I did exactly the opposite of what Paul said ! It was a bit of a disaster though. I found out the hard way that those who are freed from the "curse of the law", (excuse the expression) "get their a*se reamed if they step out of line". But worshiping/resting on any particular day didn't/doesn't seem to matter.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

If our Sunday was working day, and our Friday non working day, and we would have sermons on Saturday, would that be ok?

Just shifting our calendar by one day...
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

1over137 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:08 pm If our Sunday was working day, and our Friday non working day, and we would have sermons on Saturday, would that be ok?

Just shifting our calendar by one day...
Well, I was worshiping on Tuesday, resting on Sunday, and sermons on Saturday. But I found it better to worship on Monday better than Tuesday. At one stage, I ended up worshipping on Thursday, resting Monday-Friday, and working on Saturday-Sunday.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

BavarianWheels wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:32 am
neo-x wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:48 pm Bav I think you are missing the bigger picture here. Consider this, "There is no jew..." stop and let that sink in, please.

The 10 were given to a specific family of people. Any gentile following them out of exodus had to follow the 10 not because he was given them but because he was living among Jews. I live in a Muslim country where when there is a public prayer, I have to switch off the music because everyone does. The same way I can't eat our during their lent, the same way they can't. It is not because I am a Muslim but living among them I have to honour the law or rule. But it would be silly of me to claim that I follow the Muslim rules because they were given to me, which you are advocating for by your reasoning.
Are you suggesting that God only owns a small portion of land and only a select ( by DNA ) group of people? Not hardly...let this sink in...the Sabbath was made holy prior to any "family"...but the parents of all humanity and before all of God's creative work. So that means God is God of the heavens and the....
neo-x wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:48 pm When Paul, says there is no Jew nor Gentile, any luggage those identities carry, is thrown out. There is a new law, which Christ gave. Rather the law's eye for an eye, he taught forgiveness and often broke the Sabbath.
It's interesting to me how quickly we make God's law "luggage" and to then qualify the breaking of the Sabbath because Paul "often broke the Sabbath"?!? OF COURSE HE DID...Paul was a SINNER! There is no manner in which Paul can keep the Sabbath perfectly. It is impossible with a sin nature...and while we are in this body, we have a sin nature.
neo-x wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:48 pm P.S.
And what is this about God having a finger? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? You mean there is a nail, bone and flesh on God's finger? Why does God have a finger, to begin with?
It's ridiculous that you are advocating for something like this as if God's finger gives the ten, some greater speciality. Moses himself broke the first set of tablets.
According to my bible, Exodus 31:18 gives the impression that God used His finger. Does God have a literal finger? That God ( Jesus ) sure does. Did He then? I don't know, however if in a figurative sense, the language is probably used to convey it was not only God's will, but so much so that He wrote it Himself instead of dictating the words to Moses.

I don't give the 10 some greater 'speciality', it is God's word that does...scripture as recorded.
neo-x wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:48 pm Sin is sin without the law, and easily recognisable. Many religions don't have the 10 laws and still think murder is wrong. You can actually understand that the last 6 laws are common sense. The ideas are older than the Jewish texts.
So then you understand why the bible says that the people before the law was given, were not held accountable for their sins when there was no law to define sin...yet the bible says they still sinned. But there's one law that specifically includes some interesting wording that isn't in the rest...can you pick that law out?
Jesus broke the Sabbath as well.
I think you are not even trying to understand another point of view. FWIW, it's not your argument but your way of engaging is what is really not worth the discussion. I bow out.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Nicki

Post by Nicki »

What's so special about Saturday in itself? Even though the Israelites used a seven-day week, since that doesn't correspond exactly to anything in nature the pattern of weeks could have been altered at some stage so we're now out of step - in other words, today (Wednesday or whatever) exactly 156,000 weeks (3000 years) ago could have been the first day of the week (whatever they called it) for the Israelites. There's nothing in the name 'Saturday' either because that's after Saturn. What I'm trying to say is, though the Old Testament says to rest every 7th day, those cycles could begin and end at any time in the week.

On another note, would you never refer to Saturday and Sunday as the weekend, since to you Sunday's the first day of the week? y:-?
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

:beat: :brick: :duel: :popcorn:
Nicki

Post by Nicki »

Philip wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:22 am :beat: :brick: :duel: :popcorn:
:pound: I just thought there was some logic here that wasn't being spelled out. I mean, if the exact day is that important for keeping the Sabbath, we need to determine which is the right day. We can't just go by the names of the days because the Israelites had different names for them. Therefore we need to ensure every Sabbath is a multiple of seven days since the seventh day of creation, otherwise it's not a genuine Sabbath. However, we can't be sure that such is the case with any given Saturday (or Sunday). Logical?