God's Ten Commandments? Still valid?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
LonnieOwesn1973
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: God's Ten Commandments? Still valid?

Post by LonnieOwesn1973 »

RickD wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:56 pm
LonnieOwesn1973 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:47 pm
RickD wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:35 pm Lonnie,

Are you going to answer the questions?
According to Hebrews 8:13...
What is obsolete?
What is outdated?
I have answered the question time and time again but it is ok I will answer again...

What is obsolete is the offering up of sacrifice for sins and this is also outdated...

Christ did not do away with the Laws of God nor did he establish a new covenant asserting this...
That's not what scripture says.

Hebrews 8:13 says:
13 When He said, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.
The old covenant, the covenant that God made with the Israelites, is obsolete. The entire covenant. Not just the parts that you want to be obsolete.
so the apostles were teaching false then when they said to keep the commandments further more you are saying that when Jesus said to keep them he was wrong??? the apostles taught the 10 commandments long after the ascension of Christ...
LonnieOwesn1973
Established Member

ok let me let you in on a little bit more about my past... I spent 6 years in the service of our country and in those 6 yers I have placed many in their graves and I enjoyed doing it at that time.. when I laid down my weapon I had a heavy burden laid upon me for all the wrong I did and I paid the price dearly...

when I ask God into my life that burden was lifted and yes even though that was released from me Satan keeps me in constant reminder of all that I had done and I am thankful that I am forgiven and that God remembers my sin no more...

So until you have walked in my shoes and lived the life I lived in my past , pass no judgement upon what God has shown me...

God said thou shalt not kill That is the Law of God and that Law is awakened within me..

Do I feel sorry for what I have done? Yes but the knowledge that God remembers my sin no more comforts me...

I do not tell this to gain sympathy or a thanks for your service, I tell you this so you will have a small glimpse at who I was before God found me and showed me the way...
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Lonnie wrote:
so the apostles were teaching false then when they said to keep the commandments further more you are saying that when Jesus said to keep them he was wrong??? the apostles taught the 10 commandments long after the ascension of Christ...
I'm sorry, I must've missed the scripture where the apostles said that we must obey the 10 commandments. Could you post the scripture that the apostles, or anyone for that matter, says that Christians must obey the 10 commandments?

And it must be specific regarding the 10 commandments, not just "commandments", because your argument is specifically and only for the 10.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

lonnie wrote:
God said thou shalt not kill That is the Law of God and that Law is awakened within me..
Actually, it is, "thou shalt not murder".

There's a difference with the Hebrew word for murder. Similar to the English language that murder is a specific kind of taking another person's life. God didn't prohibit all killing.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

LonnieOwesn1973
Established Member

RickD wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:57 pm
lonnie wrote:
Actually, it is, "thou shalt not murder".

There's a difference with the Hebrew word for murder. Similar to the English language that murder is a specific kind of taking another person's life. God didn't prohibit all killing.
Murder is taking someones life,hence killing, anyway you look at it... Semantics is not a way around the commandment nor is it an excuse to call someone out for not obeying something that does not happen on the sabbath day because it would be considered and act of working and taking a Life, using any word, is specifically against the Commandments of God...
LonnieOwesn1973
Established Member

RickD wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:54 pm
Lonnie wrote:
I'm sorry, I must've missed the scripture where the apostles said that we must obey the 10 commandments. Could you post the scripture that the apostles, or anyone for that matter, says that Christians must obey the 10 commandments?

And it must be specific regarding the 10 commandments, not just "commandments", because your argument is specifically and only for the 10.
God said "And shewing mercy unto the thousands who keep my commandments." this is part of the 10 commandments hence a direct statement pertaining to the keeping of them...

Jesus said "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love." John 15:10

1 John 5:2, 3 "2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous."

God's commandments are not just for the people of Israel but for all the children of God.... Romans 13:1 "Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God."

By not obeying the commandment you are not subjecting yourself to the authority of God..
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

LonnieOwesn1973 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:21 am
RickD wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:54 pm
Lonnie wrote:

God said "And shewing mercy unto the thousands who keep my commandments." this is part of the 10 commandments hence a direct statement pertaining to the keeping of them...

Jesus said "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love." John 15:10

1 John 5:2, 3 "2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous."

God's commandments are not just for the people of Israel but for all the children of God.... Romans 13:1 "Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God."

By not obeying the commandment you are not subjecting yourself to the authority of God..
I guess you missed the part where I asked you to post scripture that says Christians must obey the 10 commandments, SPECIFICALLY.

What you posted is much more inclusive. Now you're advocating that Christians must obey God's commandments. Does this include all of God's commandments? Or do you get to pick and choose which ones you follow?

-Edward R Murrow

LonnieOwesn1973
Established Member

so what you are saying will be the doom for all of christianity lol... seriously God said in his commandments, his 10 commandments to keep them... there are absolutely no stipulations, within the ten commandments that says to pick and choose... common sense and basic reading comprehension says that in the time of Christ it was understood that the commandments or the law of God was the 10 commandments.. you follow them all ..
LonnieOwesn1973
Established Member

here is what I would like to know... since Jesus kept the commandments of God.. who did Jesus kill for not obeying the commandments of God? Who did God command Jesus to kill because they broke the commandment of God?... the logic and reasoning behind not being able to keep the commandments of God that you are giving doesn't match up with the Gospel of Christ in any way, shape, form or fashion... because God gave Christ the authority of judgement and so by defying the Law of God and not being obedient then there is no salvation to be granted divided scripture or not...

tell me one person Jesus killed because they broke a commandment of God?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Lonnie,

To whom did God give the 10 commandments?

Hint: read Exodus 20.

-Edward R Murrow

LonnieOwesn1973
Established Member

Answer the Question please... the Israelites were the Jews, were they not? Jesus was a Jew was he not? Hint read Deuteronomy 5:29.. Jesus was bound by Jewish Law was he not?? and so I ask who did Jesus Kill???
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

LonnieOwesn1973 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:31 pm the Israelites were the Jews, were they not? Jesus was a Jew was he not?
Yes he was... In fact Jesus was the Jewish Messiah and the King of the Jews.

Now back to the relationship between the 10 Commandments and the "Old Covenant":

Do you agree that the 10 Commandments (Exodus 20) were part of...
The Covenant that God made with the House of Israel when he took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt (Exodus 19-24)?

Yes or No
LonnieOwesn1973
Established Member

that was a covenant but not the covenant in Jeremiah and Hebrews.. For the simple fact how can something pass away when God places his laws inside us??? the only covenant, that is clearly stated was the teaching of the knowing of God... so no, the commandments are not part of covenant in question...
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

LonnieOwesn1973 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:05 pm that was a covenant but not the covenant in Jeremiah and Hebrews..
You are still making assertions without any support from Scripture...

Let me ask it this way
Do you believe Exodus 19-24 documents the Covenant that God made with the House of Israel when he took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt?

Yes or No

To help you base your answer upon Scripture I have posted the relevant passages from Exodus 19 and 24 below.

Exodus 19:1-6
On the first day of the third month after the Israelites left Egypt—on that very day—they came to the Desert of Sinai. 2 After they set out from Rephidim, they entered the Desert of Sinai, and Israel camped there in the desert in front of the mountain.
3 Then Moses went up to God, and the Lord called to him from the mountain and said, “This is what you are to say to the descendants of Jacob and what you are to tell the people of Israel: 4 ‘You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself. 5 Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, 6 you[a] will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites.”
Exodus 24:1-8
Then the Lord said to Moses, “Come up to the Lord, you and Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel. You are to worship at a distance, 2 but Moses alone is to approach the Lord; the others must not come near. And the people may not come up with him.”
3 When Moses went and told the people all the Lord’s words and laws, they responded with one voice, “Everything the Lord has said we will do.” 4 Moses then wrote down everything the Lord had said.
He got up early the next morning and built an altar at the foot of the mountain and set up twelve stone pillars representing the twelve tribes of Israel. 5 Then he sent young Israelite men, and they offered burnt offerings and sacrificed young bulls as fellowship offerings to the Lord. 6 Moses took half of the blood and put it in bowls, and the other half he splashed against the altar. 7 Then he took the Book of the Covenant and read it to the people. They responded, “We will do everything the Lord has said; we will obey.”
8 Moses then took the blood, sprinkled it on the people and said, “This is the blood of the covenant that the Lord has made with you in accordance with all these words.”
LonnieOwesn1973
Established Member

and so by him writing his laws within us, explain how something that he has written within us is to decay?? you can give me all the scripture you want that describes the covenant, but until you can explain to me how something that God has written into the very fabric of our beings can decay I will continue to Keep the commandments of God as instructed by Christ and God almighty...

Not being rude just being real...

Plus no one has yet to answer who did Jesus Kill? because until his death and resurrection he was still bound by Jewish Law as was his custom...