God's Ten Commandments? Still valid?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: God's Ten Commandments? Still valid?

Post by Kurieuo »

Women logic. :roll:

The logicalness of what you just said is why women in SDA churches are kept in their place -- the whole seventh day thing will come unstuck. :P

Oh hang on, there is Ellen White...
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by BavarianWheels »

neo-x wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:58 pm Jesus broke the Sabbath as well.
If you believe that, then you must believe Jesus is a lawbreaker and therefore a sinner...and if so, He is under the curse of the law and couldn't hardly be the "Perfect Lamb" to be a sin sacrifice. If that were so, any one of us could've died for all humanity. It didn't need to be God's Son.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Yes Bav. I believe Jesus was a sinner and therefore couldn't possibly have been the perfect lamb. I believe that you could have died and saved all humanity because your passion for obeying the law, far outweighs Christ and obviously inspires you to be a good follower of the law unlike me.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

LittleHamster wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:17 pm Fewwww!. That's a bit more encouraging. It's ok to worship all the time ! Besides, my Sin-count this month is through the roof. I didn't want to add to it anymore - lightning season is over but the ground is just itching to open up and swallow me y#-o
I'm not sure if you understand the gospel...but if you're counting sins, then you really don't know Christ has covered them all.

The question HERE is rather is, if you call yourself a Christian and therefore live according to the Spirit ( and isn't the Spirit Righteous? ) wouldn't you ENDEAVOR to follow what the Spirit does? Therefore if the Law is death to the sinner, the Law becomes life, or better, a proof of perfection, to the Spirit ( or any righteous being ). On one end, the Law is death and on the other, the Law has no claim AGAINST the Spirit.

God's Spirit cannot have any sin, correct? So how is it sin is known?

Again, this is not a claim that we must keep the Law perfectly for salvation. This claim is that if we claim to LIVE according to the Spirit, then we should rethink what we do that is against the Law, which makes sin known.

Of course we are covered ( and completely ) by Christ's blood...that doesn't give us license to act willfully against God's Law that actually points at sin.

I'm not sure how many ways I can explain it without being accused of being a legalist or not understanding the gospel.

It's a submittal to God, to God's Law. ( Romans 8:7,8 )
Last edited by BavarianWheels on Wed May 23, 2018 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

neo-x wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:23 am Yes Bav. I believe Jesus was a sinner and therefore couldn't possibly have been the perfect lamb. I believe that you could have died and saved all humanity because your passion for obeying the law, far outweighs Christ and obviously inspires you to be a good follower of the law unlike me.
You're the one that made the statement...it would help if you made clear what you are saying instead of being easily misunderstood.
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

Nicki wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:56 am What's so special about Saturday in itself?
I'm going off of God's word and God's action. ( Genesis 2:2,3 )
Nicki wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:56 am Even though the Israelites used a seven-day week, since that doesn't correspond exactly to anything in nature the pattern of weeks could have been altered at some stage so we're now out of step - in other words, today (Wednesday or whatever) exactly 156,000 weeks (3000 years) ago could have been the first day of the week (whatever they called it) for the Israelites. There's nothing in the name 'Saturday' either because that's after Saturn. What I'm trying to say is, though the Old Testament says to rest every 7th day, those cycles could begin and end at any time in the week.
Ok...so if it is a day God made holy, is it your thought then that God would allow the Sabbath to be lost? The fact is, the Jews have been keeping it...so it isn't lost.

You're making God out to be some weak god that can't keep his holy day alive and well...
Nicki wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:56 am On another note, would you never refer to Saturday and Sunday as the weekend, since to you Sunday's the first day of the week? y:-?
These two days are the week's end or better ends.

Look: Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday

Which days are on the ends?
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

That's okay Bav, I simply don't see the discussion going forward. Maybe at some later time we might be able to define and articulate our arguments.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

neo-x wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:40 am That's okay Bav, I simply don't see the discussion going forward. Maybe at some later time we might be able to define and articulate our arguments.
It's difficult to go forward when Christians deny what the bible plainly states.

The Law defines sin. ( Romans 3:20 , Romans 7:7 , Romans 8:7,8 ) There shouldn't be a dispute about this.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

neo-x wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:23 am Yes Bav. I believe Jesus was a sinner and therefore couldn't possibly have been the perfect lamb. I believe that you could have died and saved all humanity because your passion for obeying the law, far outweighs Christ and obviously inspires you to be a good follower of the law unlike me.
:pound: :pound: :pound:

See Neo, it's not so easy to resist, is it?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

RickD wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:01 am
:pound: :pound: :pound:

See Neo, it's not so easy to resist, is it?
Sarcasm is fun, but it is not productive in having a discussion. :pound: :pound: :pound: ( does this sarcasm help? )
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Jesus can break the law because he is its master. God is not bound by anything to do anything. I only wonder how could you even contemplate that if Jesus broke the sabbath then he is a sinner? That is a theological blunder. And the absurdity of the whole idea and how Big a straw man it was, and the fact that you so comfortably slid it in the discussion for me to defend, something I had not even claimed, made me resign.

without.

warren631
Familiar Member

Post by warren631 »

RickD wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:29 pm warren631,

Do you believe Jesus Christ is God?

And no, I'm not asking if you if you believe Jesus Christ is the Father.
No I don't believe Jesus is God. Jesus is the Son of God who was sent by God to save us from our sins if we believe in Him and are born again. Jesus is also the Word of God which IMHO means that he communicates and talks for God using 'words' that we can understand. My son is a part of me but he is not me. The Holy Ghost/Spirit is also a part of God but is not God. God probably has many parts. Jesus said we should pray to His Father in heaven ('God our Father, hallowed be thy name....'). Jesus didn't say we should pray to Him but through Him to God.

This thread got bogged down by the only three or four contributors to this site. The three commandments I listed were hardly discussed except for a heated argument over the Sabbath and whether we can pick any day we want. I guess I need to look elsewhere for the Truth.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

warren631 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:43 am
RickD wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:29 pm warren631,

Do you believe Jesus Christ is God?

And no, I'm not asking if you if you believe Jesus Christ is the Father.
No I don't believe Jesus is God. Jesus is the Son of God who was sent by God to save us from our sins if we believe in Him and are born again. Jesus is also the Word of God which IMHO means that he communicates and talks for God using 'words' that we can understand. My son is a part of me but he is not me. The Holy Ghost/Spirit is also a part of God but is not God. God probably has many parts. Jesus said we should pray to His Father in heaven ('God our Father, hallowed be thy name....'). Jesus didn't say we should pray to Him but through Him to God.

This thread got bogged down by the only three or four contributors to this site. The three commandments I listed were hardly discussed except for a heated argument over the Sabbath and whether we can pick any day we want. I guess I need to look elsewhere for the Truth.
Feel free to go worship your false Christ somewhere else, if that's what you want to do. But if you actually want to respond to your own thread, then stick around. You may just have a productive conversation.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

neo-x wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:21 am Jesus can break the law because he is its master. God is not bound by anything to do anything. I only wonder how could you even contemplate that if Jesus broke the sabbath then he is a sinner? That is a theological blunder. And the absurdity of the whole idea and how Big a straw man it was, and the fact that you so comfortably slid it in the discussion for me to defend, something I had not even claimed, made me resign.
I would only say that the first 10 words above are a real concern. If true, then "righteousness" is simply a construct for man to "attain" as a whim of God's and not a reality of God...that is, if God really can break His own law.
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

neo-x wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:21 am Jesus can break the law because he is its master. God is not bound by anything to do anything. I only wonder how could you even contemplate that if Jesus broke the sabbath then he is a sinner? That is a theological blunder. And the absurdity of the whole idea and how Big a straw man it was, and the fact that you so comfortably slid it in the discussion for me to defend, something I had not even claimed, made me resign.
It's interesting to me that no other person is concerned with the above.

Can God really break His own law without being guilty of what the law does according to Romans 3:20?

Does not this kind of claim actually need some sort of qualification or clarification if in fact it doesn't mean exactly what it reads?

...or does it mean exactly how it reads? God can break law because He is its master.