Sacrament of Penance

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
bbyrd009
BANNED
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Sacrament of Penance

Post by bbyrd009 »

penance goes directly against Scripture. Confess your sins, to those you sinned against, and rebound ("repent" even being a poor translation of the concept, again improperly suggesting that you might engage in some satanic "penance" to make things right; virtually "revenge"), and God is faithful and just to forgive you.

this is why it is better that Catholics and Christians not debate doctrine, because the two systems are night and day, so to speak, even if they are both death-centered now.
"Creation is continuous, and never stops."
IceMobster
Christian: No

Post by IceMobster »

PaulSacramento wrote:What does Paul say in 1Timothy 2:5 ?
So how do we reconcile this with what John wrote?

There are a couple of ways but first:
1) What do you think that John meant? Were only the direct apostles given such authority or anyone that has the HS ( in short all believers since all believers have the HS).
Well, I don't know what to think. Catholics & Orthobros obviously believe apostles were given authority and Protestants don't.
bbyrd009 wrote:penance goes directly against Scripture.
Show me.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Ice,

Bbyrd009 won't be responding. He is permanently banned.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
IceMobster
Christian: No

Post by IceMobster »

RickD wrote:Ice,

Bbyrd009 won't be responding. He is permanently banned.
Bahahaha, what did he do? :mrgreen:
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by bippy123 »

IceMobster wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:While I agree with confessing our sins to God and to one another ( this is good for not only reconciling with God but with our fellow people), I do NOT agree that it can only be done to priests or is only valid with priests.
We confess to God for forgiveness ( only HE can forgive) and we confess to others to lighten our burden and guilt and to ask for support and solace.
I do NOT think that saying the Our Father or Hail Mary is a penance or SHOULD be viewed as one.
I never understood how, after confession with a priest, my "penance" was to say a prayer multiple times.
Ayyyyyy.... I got the wrong impression of you being a Catholic, then. Sorry. :mrgreen:

So, who except byblos is a Catholic, you filthy heretics?!
You can count me in as a Catholic .
Dad became evangelical before he passed away but his language was always in terms of mere Christianity .

He was a simple mountain man from a village of 300 people who would do the hand waving , yellow to stop being so complicated and just love Christ :)
He was my hero
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Yea what did Bbryd do?