Suppose God allowed you to try to change history by killing Hitler?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Post Reply
ultimate777
Senior Member
Posts: 736
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:06 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Suppose God allowed you to try to change history by killing Hitler?

#1

Post by ultimate777 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:42 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byIkAPRnWnU

I sure hope the link works. And you have the time for it.

Do you think trying something like this if one could is doomed to come out like this did,
or might God allow it to work?

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8840
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 331 times

Re: Suppose God allowed you to try to change history by killing Hitler?

#2

Post by PaulSacramento » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:49 am

No.
The timeline paradox aside ( you can't change the very event that causes you to time travel), we need to remember that evil serves a purpose, that it exists for a reason and the repercussions of changing free will....well...

Let's also remember that Hitler forced no one to follow him (personally I mean), the time was ripe for "a hitler" and it it wasn't him, it would have been someone else.
These users liked this post by PaulSacramento (total 3):
Danieltwotwenty (Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:31 pm) • puddleglum (Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:55 am) • bbyrd009 (Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:06 am)

ultimate777
Senior Member
Posts: 736
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:06 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Suppose God allowed you to try to change history by killing Hitler?

#3

Post by ultimate777 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:40 am

PaulSacramento wrote:No.
The timeline paradox aside ( you can't change the very event that causes you to time travel), we need to remember that evil serves a purpose, that it exists for a reason and the repercussions of changing free will....well...

Let's also remember that Hitler forced no one to follow him (personally I mean), the time was ripe for "a hitler" and it it wasn't him, it would have been someone else.
I'm sorry, but, maybe, excepting what you said about the paradox, I don't buy any of what you said at all.

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8840
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 331 times

Re: Suppose God allowed you to try to change history by killing Hitler?

#4

Post by PaulSacramento » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:48 am

ultimate777 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:No.
The timeline paradox aside ( you can't change the very event that causes you to time travel), we need to remember that evil serves a purpose, that it exists for a reason and the repercussions of changing free will....well...

Let's also remember that Hitler forced no one to follow him (personally I mean), the time was ripe for "a hitler" and it it wasn't him, it would have been someone else.
I'm sorry, but, maybe, excepting what you said about the paradox, I don't buy any of what you said at all.
You don't buy the people have free will?
Or you don't but that Germany in the 1930's was ripe for a dictator?

ultimate777
Senior Member
Posts: 736
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:06 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Suppose God allowed you to try to change history by killing Hitler?

#5

Post by ultimate777 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:09 am

PaulSacramento wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:No.
The timeline paradox aside ( you can't change the very event that causes you to time travel), we need to remember that evil serves a purpose, that it exists for a reason and the repercussions of changing free will....well...

Let's also remember that Hitler forced no one to follow him (personally I mean), the time was ripe for "a hitler" and it it wasn't him, it would have been someone else.
I'm sorry, but, maybe, excepting what you said about the paradox, I don't buy any of what you said at all.
You don't buy the people have free will?
Or you don't but that Germany in the 1930's was ripe for a dictator?
I don't even understand your ideas about free will, and I don't buy that Germany was ripe for a Hitler, whom I consider unique, if one was not readily available. Maybe a Franco.

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8840
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 331 times

Re: Suppose God allowed you to try to change history by killing Hitler?

#6

Post by PaulSacramento » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:36 pm

ultimate777 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:No.
The timeline paradox aside ( you can't change the very event that causes you to time travel), we need to remember that evil serves a purpose, that it exists for a reason and the repercussions of changing free will....well...

Let's also remember that Hitler forced no one to follow him (personally I mean), the time was ripe for "a hitler" and it it wasn't him, it would have been someone else.
I'm sorry, but, maybe, excepting what you said about the paradox, I don't buy any of what you said at all.
You don't buy the people have free will?
Or you don't but that Germany in the 1930's was ripe for a dictator?
I don't even understand your ideas about free will, and I don't buy that Germany was ripe for a Hitler, whom I consider unique, if one was not readily available. Maybe a Franco.

That you don't understand free will is not my problem.
It is fine that you don't buy into the historical view that Germany was ripe for "a hitler".
You asked from an opinion on an impossible event ( time travel) and I gave you one.
Agree or don't, it doesn't matter.

You should, however, read up on freewill and Germany after the 1st world war, it may open your eyes.

By the way, stating that if it wasn't Hitler it would have been someone else does NOT diminish the evil that was Hitler.
It simply means that the PEOPLE or germany would have followed another with the same message.
To what extent is arguable of course.
One can argue that another with more military experience than Hitler may have done WORSE and succeed where Hitler failed.

puddleglum
Newbie Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:52 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Suppose God allowed you to try to change history by killing Hitler?

#7

Post by puddleglum » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:06 am

I can think of two situations where killing Hitler might have made things worse.

Hitler made mistakes which helped lead to his defeat. He attacked Russia while still at was with Britain and then declared war on the US before he had conquered Russia. If he had been killed Germany might have been ruled by someone who would have avoided these mistakes and might have won the war.

Before the Nazis took over Germany they were in a struggle with the Communists for power. If they hadn't had Hitler to lead them the Communists might have won and then we could have had WWII with the Soviet Union an ally of Germany rather than an enemy.

We need to remember that regardless of how bad things appear God is in control. Hitler's rise to power wouldn't have succeeded if God hadn't allowed it.

The LORD has made everything for its purpose,
even the wicked for the day of trouble.
(Proverbs 16:4 ESV)
These users liked this post by puddleglum (total 2):
Danieltwotwenty (Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:43 pm) • theophilus (Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:16 am)

User avatar
bbyrd009
BANNED
Posts: 546
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:48 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Ft Myers, FL
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Suppose God allowed you to try to change history by killing Hitler?

#8

Post by bbyrd009 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:07 am

amen. Germans manifested him, and voted him into office.
"Creation is continuous, and never stops."

Post Reply