How do you get a specific group of people closer to God?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
IceMobster
Christian: No
Sex: Male

How do you get a specific group of people closer to God?

Post by IceMobster »

How do you approach, or rather, how (/with what) are you supposed to get certain groups of people, say indifferent towards God, (not necessarily theists nor atheists, they simply didn't make up their mind or haven't given it (much) thought or are simply like: "I don't care.") to think about things such God, religion... to philosophize in general...?

Whenever I try that with certain acquaintances, I find myself simply hitting a brick wall. Perhaps out of my inexperience in conversations, or perhaps out of insufficient knowledge? Either way, I'd like to encourage/stimulate them to think about and I need help as to how to initiate such a situation...
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: How do you get a specific group of people closer to God?

Post by Nessa »

IceMobster wrote:How do you approach, or rather, how (/with what) are you supposed to get certain groups of people, say indifferent towards God, (not necessarily theists nor atheists, they simply didn't make up their mind or haven't given it (much) thought or are simply like: "I don't care.") to think about things such God, religion... to philosophize in general...?

Whenever I try that with certain acquaintances, I find myself simply hitting a brick wall. Perhaps out of my inexperience in conversations, or perhaps out of insufficient knowledge? Either way, I'd like to encourage/stimulate them to think about and I need help as to how to initiate such a situation...
Wait a minute...

Arent we all just rational animals?..what exactly are you wanting people to think about? Being closer to a God who (in your eyes) doesnt exist?
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by Storyteller »

If they don't want to know, you can't make them engage.

Why not try just asking do you believe in God? Go from there. Thing is, it depends how you define God.
Your idea of God is different from mine.
Ask them what they think, ask them why.

I dunno.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

Show them the door, only they can open it.

Take a horse to water, make them drink it, etc. etc.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

edit: sorry for all the editsI'm not a smart man...
If you mean for people who are on the fence, I always bring facts to the table that they may not have heard before. This always makes them go "huh", as they are given something new to think about. Don't bring up what they have probably heard for the 15th time, as it will merely bore them.

For many people you cited, the don't care crowd, they think Christianity is a simplistic list of "do this" and "Don't do this" when it's actually astronomically more complex and worthy of a lifetime of study

As per them actually accepting what you give them, many phrases come to mind: you can bring a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. You can only show them the door, but they have to walk through it (Quick! Which Matrix character also said this??)
Last edited by Hortator on Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Um..
Morpheus

probably
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Just remember..

You can lead an atheist to evidence but you cant make him think. ;)

Of course that could apply to anyone really...
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

I just typed out a really long post.....

and my cat deleted it!
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Storyteller wrote:I just typed out a really long post.....

and my cat deleted it!
That must be the new excuse kids use nowadays :lol:

Must be alot more hungry dogs now...
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

I just typed out a really long post.....

and my cat deleted it!
More believable: "The cat peed on my keyboard!"
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

Nessa wrote:
IceMobster wrote:How do you approach, or rather, how (/with what) are you supposed to get certain groups of people, say indifferent towards God, (not necessarily theists nor atheists, they simply didn't make up their mind or haven't given it (much) thought or are simply like: "I don't care.") to think about things such God, religion... to philosophize in general...?

Wait a minute...

Arent we all just rational animals?..what exactly are you wanting people to think about? Being closer to a God who (in your eyes) doesnt exist?
Having "No" as a Christian does not mean I believe not in a God. :|
What of my signature? :(
Nessa y u do dis to mi? :crying:
Equating me with atheists? That is a grave insult, milady. :mrgreen:

Idk, I am hoping to find a way on how to get someone closer to God. Especially those who are indifferent towards the notion of God.
Storyteller wrote:If they don't want to know, you can't make them engage.

Why not try just asking do you believe in God? Go from there. Thing is, it depends how you define God.
Your idea of God is different from mine.
Ask them what they think, ask them why.

I dunno.
But perhaps it is not that they don't want to know but they are too lazy to do so. Just need a little stimulation/encouragement? :mrgreen:
Perhaps something to shock them a little, to make them wonder. I am not that great of a speech giver to achieve that, though. :|

Also, I do not have a problem introducing them to Christ.
Hortator wrote:edit: sorry for all the editsI'm not a smart man...
If you mean for people who are on the fence, I always bring facts to the table that they may not have heard before. This always makes them go "huh", as they are given something new to think about. Don't bring up what they have probably heard for the 15th time, as it will merely bore them.

For many people you cited, the don't care crowd, they think Christianity is a simplistic list of "do this" and "Don't do this" when it's actually astronomically more complex and worthy of a lifetime of study

As per them actually accepting what you give them, many phrases come to mind: you can bring a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. You can only show them the door, but they have to walk through it (Quick! Which Matrix character also said this??)
hhhhhhahahahhaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... I am unsure :(
Sorry, I have failed you! Either Morpheus, Oracle or the Key guy.

I see what you mean with the door and horse, but I suppose I am searching for something more concrete even though I suppose it depends on the situation so I my question doesn't really stand, eh? Indeed, we are not smart men. :mrgreen:
Storyteller wrote:I just typed out a really long post.....

and my cat deleted it!
BURN THE CAT! or get a dog.... or both :mrgreen:

Type it again, it happened to me once, as well.
I can feel your tears, though.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

IceMobster wrote:
Nessa wrote:

Wait a minute...

Idk, I am hoping to find a way on how to get someone closer to God. Especially those who are indifferent towards the notion of God
You arent going all 'vergil' on me now are you? Cos if you are, I like it :mrgreen:

I'm confused on what exactly is your perception of God and Christ?

You consider us animals. Tho rational ones.

Are you trying to get people closer to their own perception of God?

Because it seems like the blind leading the blind....
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Ice...

This matters.
Its late, ive been working hard, been fighting my own battles.
I have no doubt you belieeve in God. So did I.
God, love, forgiveness, tolerance, understanding.
,Thats what God is.
No matter what you believe. right?
Goodnees and love.

Christ, msybe just the kinda guy we all want to be, deep down.

All I know is there is a God. We all walk different paths to that perceived God. My God, I believe in (and I NEVER thought I would say this, I know He loves me.
I have felt His love.

I dont need convincing God is real and I dont wanna convince anyone, only He can do that.

But it would ne quite something to initiate someone asking that question.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

How we doing with you?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

Nessa wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
Nessa wrote:

Wait a minute...

Idk, I am hoping to find a way on how to get someone closer to God. Especially those who are indifferent towards the notion of God
You arent going all 'vergil' on me now are you? Cos if you are, I like it :mrgreen:

I'm confused on what exactly is your perception of God and Christ?

You consider us animals. Tho rational ones.

Are you trying to get people closer to their own perception of God?

Because it seems like the blind leading the blind....
Haha, I am not really in the mood to explain it all, basically I can't simply accept Jesus is God but the Christian God still makes the most sense to me.

I am trying to get them closer to the Christian perspective of God, Jesus included if the conversation leads that way.
B. W. wrote:

How we doing with you?
-
-
-
I don't see I need it if we take Jesus out of the equation. However, putting Jesus out of the equation, for you, makes no sense so I guess you are not doing pretty good with me? :mrgreen:
Idk. What do you think?