Can one know anything absolutely?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Can one know anything absolutely?

Post by ultimate777 »

I have known people who hallucinated. I think you have to take it on faith you are not hallucinating. You cannot be absolutely sure. How then can you have sure and certain knowledge, as the preacher sometimes says in church, that what you believe is true? Isn't to say you are sure and certain dishonest, even if its for a good cause?

I guess sure and certain don't mean sure and certain, do they? :econfused:
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Can one know anything absolutely?

Post by Nessa »

ultimate777 wrote:I have known people who hallucinated. I think you have to take it on faith you are not hallucinating. You cannot be absolutely sure. How then can you have sure and certain knowledge, as the preacher sometimes says in church, that what you believe is true? Isn't to say you are sure and certain dishonest, even if its for a good cause?

Doesn't the question itself presuppose that you can can know something absolutely or not?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Can one know anything absolutely?

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:I have known people who hallucinated. I think you have to take it on faith you are not hallucinating. You cannot be absolutely sure. How then can you have sure and certain knowledge, as the preacher sometimes says in church, that what you believe is true? Isn't to say you are sure and certain dishonest, even if its for a good cause?

Doesn't the question itself presuppose that you can can know something absolutely or not?
:pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony