Exodus, fact or fairy tale?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Bluejay4
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Exodus, fact or fairy tale?

Post by Bluejay4 »

It's mythic storytelling and nothing more. The more we learn about archeology and history in biblical times, the more we realize that most of the stuff in the bible is fiction.
—Michael Shermer

Is this true? Do you know of any serious archeologist who thinks the Exodus has a basis in reality?
“I fear no man. If you breathe oxygen, I do not fear you.” – Conor McGregor

"Of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" - Psalms 27:1
Byblos
Old School

Re: Exodus, fact or fairy tale?

Post by Byblos »

Bluejay4 wrote:It's mythic storytelling and nothing more. The more we learn about archeology and history in biblical times, the more we realize that most of the stuff in the bible is fiction.
—Michael Shermer

Is this true? Do you know of any serious archeologist who thinks the Exodus has a basis in reality?
If you get a chance check out the documentary The Exodus Decoded. Highly recommended.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

There is evidence in Saudi Arabia peninsula of a large group of people passed through, complete with Hebrew pictograph, places that fit the events, a huge split rock, etc and etc a mountain top that appears burnt along with a cave...

So, yes, there is evidence it happened, however, do you really think people will accept the evidence?

http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/dail ... -mt-sinai/

https://www.google.com/search?q=exodus+ ... CpMQsAQIPQ
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Bluejay4 wrote:It's mythic storytelling and nothing more. The more we learn about archeology and history in biblical times, the more we realize that most of the stuff in the bible is fiction.
—Michael Shermer

There is actual evidence out there as B.W. pointed out but another evidence for the Exodus is the fact that religious jews still celebrate jewish feast days that were set up by God after Moses brought the children of Israel out of Egypt and so the fact religious jews still celebrate these jewish feast days that go back thousands of years is evidence for the Exodus.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Or you can try a book by well-respected author, Egyptologist and Old Testament scholar, James K. Hoffmeier:

http://www.amazon.com/Israel-Egypt-Evid ... +Hoffmeier

http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Israel-Si ... +Hoffmeier

crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

The Bible is God's Word -- the book of Exodus is part of the Bible -- therefore it is God's Word. Maybe a simplistic view but worthy of attention. Jesus tells us " I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life, no man cometh to the Father , but through Me." What is it that makes something Right and something else Wrong? It's the plumb-line It happens to be God's Word -- The Ten Commandments for one thing. The Golden Rule is in the New Testament. Archeology uncovers what Bible says is there. Yes, the Exodus Did take place. There are simply a lot of people who don't want Bible to be authentic.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Try also Patterns of Evidence: Exodus a wonderful documentary -

http://patternsofevidence.com/
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

—Michael Shermer

Looking at the response, I see a link to a presumably respectable
professor at a Divinity school, one that appears to be to Ron Wyatt,
one to a film, not the work of an archaeologist that seems to be
about overthrowing the works of every other archaeologist.

Is there something concrete in there.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Audie: not the work of an archaeologist that seems to be about overthrowing the works of every other archaeologist
Um, NO archaeologist's "work" reveals anything but fragments of the total picture. All have documented and assembled ONLY their own fragments. There are, of course, various popular interpretive, yet speculative, narratives of the Exodus, all based upon various assumptions. Hoffmeir draws from the arc of the total evidences, drawing upon the works of numerous other scholars, evidences, and other archaeologists. One thing is definitely certain: As for those whom would assert that the Exodus accounts were written up to six centuries later, the level of specifics and knowledge of the text's asserted period, it's certain geographical markers, are far too detailed, match up far too well with what scholars and archaeologists HAVE found - and thus are NOT just the work of just any ONE archaeologist. Again, if one starts from an assumption, assembles the evidences into their own narrative to fit it - well, that will be but one unproven consensus. But it surely doesn't mean that other analyses are incorrect. For the longest time, until archaeologists had found proof, many asserted that Solomon and David were but myth. And yet... And this is true of so many Bible assertions that have later been proven. Certain NO archaeology has disproven the Bible - which is pretty amazing.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Philip wrote:
Audie: not the work of an archaeologist that seems to be about overthrowing the works of every other archaeologist
Um, NO archaeologist's "work" reveals anything but fragments of the total picture. All have documented and assembled ONLY their own fragments. There are, of course, various popular interpretive, yet speculative, narratives of the Exodus, all based upon various assumptions. Hoffmeir draws from the arc of the total evidences, drawing upon the works of numerous other scholars, evidences, and other archaeologists. One thing is definitely certain: As for those whom would assert that the Exodus accounts were written up to six centuries later, the level of specifics and knowledge of the text's asserted period, it's certain geographical markers, are far too detailed, match up far too well with what scholars and archaeologists HAVE found - and thus are NOT just the work of just any ONE archaeologist. Again, if one starts from an assumption, assembles the evidences into their own narrative to fit it - well, that will be but one unproven consensus. But it surely doesn't mean that other analyses are incorrect. For the longest time, until archaeologists had found proof, many asserted that Solomon and David were but myth. And yet... And this is true of so many Bible assertions that have later been proven. Certain NO archaeology has disproven the Bible - which is pretty amazing.

If you look at how much chronolgy he has to overthrow, perhaps you'd tempet
that some.

As for "disprove the bible", that has much to do with one's
chosen reading. Some are resdily disproved.

Are you a Ron Wyatt fan, btw?
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Audie: Are you a Ron Wyatt fan, btw?
No. And neither are Bible scholars.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Archaeologically speaking I do not think there is any evidence for the Exodus BUT archaeology is just ONE part of the equation.
The archaeological record is the body of physical (i.e. not written) evidence about the past.
The other aspect is historical accounts.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Philip wrote:
Audie: Are you a Ron Wyatt fan, btw?
No. And neither are Bible scholars.
So you might agree thst his reading is readily shown to if not be
disproved, at least utterly unsupported by his "chariot wheels" and so forth.

Nothing in the bible can be disproved, of course, if one adapts interpretation to evidence.

What is remarkable in that?
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

PaulSacramento wrote:Archaeologically speaking I do not think there is any evidence for the Exodus BUT archaeology is just ONE part of the equation.
The archaeological record is the body of physical (i.e. not written) evidence about the past.
The other aspect is historical accounts.
Historical accounts that cannot be verified in any way may not really be
all that historical.

Ones contrary to any evidence and that rely on supernatural intervention
are especially not reliable.

There evidently was a Troy, but the highly detailed account of what happened
cannot be verified, still less the supernatural, which everyone likes put in
on their side.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

There are a lot of historical accounts that we take as truth, but have never been verified archaeologically.
We know there was an Alexander the great, a socrates and that Caesar crossed the rubicon BUT we have no archaeological evidence of those things.
An example of the battle of thermopylae of the fames 300 Spartan battle.
Historically we know it happened but there is no concrete archaeological evidence to prove it did.

That is why historians don't just go on the archaeological evidence.

As one archaeologist said:
Basically archaeology is best at getting at very the general social structure and broader human development, and not great at getting at the specific events and individuals of the past. This is why archaeology is typically a sub-discipline of anthropology (except for Classical archaeology, they do their own thing. We don't talk. It's kind of sad). Where texts exist they can really help clarify the archaeological record, but the record itself is limited to broader aspects of a given society (not to mention that it is the only information we have for people that didn't have writing, and even in societies that had writing the written records often focus on the major figures of society, so archaeological evidence is the main data for figuring out what the majority of people were up to).
Does this means that exodus happened?
No BUT it also means that just because we don't have any archaeological evidence to show that Exodus happened that way we think it did, means that it never happened at all.