How did you come to believe in miracles?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
patrick
Established Member
Christian: Yes

How did you come to believe in miracles?

Post by patrick »

This is an offshoot of another thread I made a short while ago, Is it necessary to accept that Jesus performed "miracles" to be Christian? (figured it'd be easier to just make another thread than try to redirect the discussion). I guess I have a lot to learn about Christianity because I was very surprised to read the answers there. I guess it explains why I had heard in the past "Blessed is he who believes but has not seen." For me though, believing that physical miracles have actually occurred is... difficult.

So I am curious if there are others who used to not believe in miracles but came to believe in one way or another, and if so, what your story is. Feel free to link to other threads; I'm sure this question has been asked in the past one way or another.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: How did you come to believe in miracles?

Post by abelcainsbrother »

plouiswork wrote:This is an offshoot of another thread I made a short while ago, Is it necessary to accept that Jesus performed "miracles" to be Christian? (figured it'd be easier to just make another thread than try to redirect the discussion). I guess I have a lot to learn about Christianity because I was very surprised to read the answers there. I guess it explains why I had heard in the past "Blessed is he who believes but has not seen." For me though, believing that physical miracles have actually occurred is... difficult.

So I am curious if there are others who used to not believe in miracles but came to believe in one way or another, and if so, what your story is. Feel free to link to other threads; I'm sure this question has been asked in the past one way or another.
I have to honestly say that I have never had the problem of not believing in miracles.I mean to deny miracles is to ignore or overlook who God is and what he can do.I hear atheists all the time making fun of and making it known how silly it is for them to believe in miracles or magic but to me it is a whole lot easier to believe in miracles God can do that to believe what atheists believe.I cannot even concieve of how this vast universe and everything in it could exist without a creator,it seems to me that if a person rejects God can do miracles then has to somehow believe this vast universe created itself and this is much,much harder to believe than miracles God can do.I mean the only thing we see is things being created by a creator and man has created many things and man was created in the image of God,so if man can create,then God can create even easier than man can.Things just do not create themselves and yet atheists and skeptics of miracles can somehow imagine that yes on the earth things are created but not when it comes to the universe,no God is needed,it can create itself from nothing and I find this much harder to believe than God can do miracles.so it is easy to believe even if I had never experienced any,I can read the bible and see that God can do miracles easy and it is not hard to believe at all.

Salvation is one of the greatest miracles God does and anybody who has ever truly been saved by Jesus knows this.But skeptics and atheists don't understand religions and think they are all the same,but this is wrong because in Christianity the person does not change theirself like in allother religions as we are truly born again exactly like Jesus said when he said You must be born again.Atheists and skeptics already make it up in their mind the bible is dumb and so doubt what it says yet when a person is saved by Jesus they become a new person,totally changed on the inside to serve God and it is like they totally think a total different way than they did before and you feel good all over with a joy so intense that it is hard to describe and we realize we did not change ourself like people do in all other religions out there.In the other religions the person may experience good feelings and things but the difference is they change their self to follow the laws of their religion,in Christianity though this would make a person a hypocrite,yet in all other religions the person changes theirself,now sure there are people in other religions that are raised up in them and so they are taught as they are raised how to live according to their particular religion,yet in Christianity this will not work.It does a person no good at all to live as a Christian because they were raised up in a Christian family as a christian when they are'nt a real Christian,they must be saved/born again for it to matter,yet in all other religions it is normal.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

plouiswork wrote:This is an offshoot of another thread I made a short while ago, Is it necessary to accept that Jesus performed "miracles" to be Christian? (figured it'd be easier to just make another thread than try to redirect the discussion). I guess I have a lot to learn about Christianity because I was very surprised to read the answers there. I guess it explains why I had heard in the past "Blessed is he who believes but has not seen." For me though, believing that physical miracles have actually occurred is... difficult.

Once bounced around from agnostic into full blown Militant Atheism - physically died and permitted to come back to life... That cured me from my atheism.

As a Christian all these years latter, seen several real ones, tornado stopped in its tracks from hitting a small town... to witnessing an amputated little toe pop back on a person's foot while at a meeting, Quite a few other things as well...

Despite all this, I have discovered it is not the great big miracle that causes one to believe in Jesus rather folks are drawn to Jesus out of the need to change their life course and that is the miracle most seen and so often overlooked...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
patrick
Established Member

Post by patrick »

B. W. wrote:Despite all this, I have discovered it is not the great big miracle that causes one to believe in Jesus rather folks are drawn to Jesus out of the need to change their life course and that is the miracle most seen and so often overlooked...
FWIW, this does seem to be the most compelling reason in my experience as well. Perhaps this is the most that can be said here.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

If the first miracle is true (creation), then all other miracles listed in the Bible are at least plausible. If nature (time, space, matter) came into existence at some fixed point in time past, then the cause of the universe would have be timeless and immaterial. Since the cause of the nature can't be nature itself, then the cause must in fact be super (beyond) natural.
Understanding the nature of miracles is important as well. Miracles are not random or arbitrary. Miracles are not a violation of natural law.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

I agree with 'abelcainsbrother' -- I , too, have never had problems believing in miracles. If it were not For the miraculous -- we would not have salvation. The virgin birth of Jesus -- bodily resurrection.

And, yes, the first miracle was God speaking this world into existence. And, then, creating man and making woman From man. All done by God.
patrick
Established Member

Post by patrick »

jlay wrote:Understanding the nature of miracles is important as well. Miracles are not random or arbitrary. Miracles are not a violation of natural law.
This is also something I think I need to learn more about. Are there passages you would recommend that speak to the nature of miracles?