Depression and Existential Crisis, how to overcome it?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
leo7alves
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Depression and Existential Crisis, how to overcome it?

Post by leo7alves »

Hi, my name is Leonardo, i'm new to the Forums

I'm going through a Existential Crisis, it's like a depression but feels worse
I Will tell how it started, you guys may find the reason a bit stupid:

A month ago i was searching something to see on my Netflix account, then i saw a documentary called "Cosmos". It made me curious to see more of the Universe from science's perspective, then i started to watch it, at first i found the documentary awesome, so many things i didn't know, but after 5 or 6 episodes, it suddenly make me question about life, the meaning of it, why we exist, and such things. And then i fall into an Existential Crisis.
Then i started to search about Evolution, Curiosities of Universe, life after death, and it become worse.

My dad died 10 years ago, I live with my mom which is a very religious person, she is Christian for about 30 years and always had an incredible faith. When i was a kid i always went to church with her, but when i become Teenager i stopped going. I'm 20 years now, and i trying to ''reconnect'' with God. Before i get into that 'existential crisis', i simple don't care about the Universe, Life meaning, life after death, etc. I never really stopped to think about those things, and now it can't leave my mind...

I feel empty, i can't sleep at night because all of these thoughts questioning life that don't leave my mind for one second. I Feel better at morning and afternoon, but when the Night falls, the feelings get much worse, it's 5:00 AM here, and i simple can't go to sleep, I lay in bed for five hours and could not fall asleep because of those questions in my head. Even when i try to play a game or watch a movie those thoughts come to my head, i can't enjoy things i used to enjoy anymore, because i can't concentrate. I'm literally desperate and full of questions. I got to the point of thinking in suicide, but i regret doing that, because i Love my family, but i can't feel happiness anymore

I started to read the Bible, pray and go to Church a few days ago, it made me feels a bit better, but as my stupid mind always create some question to me to google it, i started to found Atheist opinions that made me weakening my faith. The worst one i found is that the Bible is plagiarism from Sumerian and Epic of gilgamesh because of similarities with Genesis and that Jesus is plagiarism from Dionisio and other mythological figures because they also turned water into vine and are crucified. They made me question the veracity of the bible, and if i can't trust the Bible, how can i regain my faith in God? Are those things they say true?

I try to understand why there are so many atheists and Neo-atheists that try to destroy people's faith to feel better
I know i may seen a bit stupid for trusting everything they say, but i need answers that refute those ideas

When i talk about miracles, like people with cancer being cured without medical supervision they say it's just coincidences, this commentary turn my attention:
"It is a shame that miracles do not happen when there is no question of coincidence. If they did, then
many more people who are lost would take notice. It is easy for us as Christians to "see" a miracle
when for instance, cancer suddenly leaves a person's body with no medical intervention. Miracles
however do not happen when there is no room for doubt such as with an amputee suddenly grows
a limb back."
Does it make sense?

Anyway guys, is there anyone here who fell into an deep depression or existential crisis and overcame it?
Do you recommend something for me to read and stop listening to any anti-Christian argument, good christian websites with good credibility, good arguments, etc.
I want to recover my faith, i know there's people here that like to help other people and may can help-me.

Sorry for my bad English, but i hope you can understand the confusion and desperation that is in my Mind.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Re: Depression and Existential Crisis, how to overcome it?

Post by 1over137 »

Hi.

Nothing you deal with is stupid.
I am glad you came to this forum and shared your fears/depression.
We have here clever guys who may help greatly. Also www.bethinking.org is a great website or site run by William Lane Craig. I am sure folks here will provide you with more.

And yes, there are people here who overcame existential crisis. (Makes people mature, stronger, wiser)

My apology for writing more now as I am at work.

Be blessed.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Hi Leo,

What, you're having an existential crisis?
No, I've never had one, not me, no siree. :P

Perhaps you can explain what you mean though.
In what way are you having a crisis? Do you just mean doubting your faith?
Are you talking about just ending your life because it seems meaningless or you want to stop playing the game of life.
You know Paul himself appears to have had a little existential crisis himself, desiring to depart to be with God but found purpose to remain longer. (Philippians 1:23-24)

From your message, it sounds more like doubting.
Mixed in with a realisation that you're actually not going to live forever.
And can you really be so sure of your beliefs Christ?

One book I'd recommend to you is Reasonable Faith by William Lane Craig.
Also, a page at that site 1over137 mentioned: http://www.bethinking.org/is-there-mean ... ithout-god
Take a good read of that article. I'm sure you'll find it relevant and interesting.

Take care of yourself. Hope you stick around.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

I haven't watched this, but I'm sure you'll find it good also.

You might want to skip the little skit that goes for approximately 10 minutes, unless that's your sort of thing.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

I try to understand why there are so many atheists and Neo-atheists that try to destroy people's faith to feel better
Try to understand why you would think such awful things about others.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Audie wrote:
Audie, this thread is not the one to post arguments. Think about the original post, the poster, his needs and purpose of this board. If original poster is interested in having debate with you, you may meet him in another thread.

Thank you.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

1over137 wrote:
Audie wrote:
Audie, this thread is not the one to post arguments. Think about the original post, the poster, his needs and purpose of this board. If original poster is interested in having debate with you, you may meet him in another thread.

Thank you.
Its not an argument. He seems vexed by a non issue. Id think it most helpful to eliminate at least one of the things that keeps him up at night.

Im one for specifics, not broad brush strokes.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

To the Gilgamesh:
Rich Deem, the owner of this site, has written down about similarities and differences here http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/gilgamesh.html

#foreverinmyheart
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Audie wrote:
1over137 wrote:
Audie wrote:

Thank you.
Its not an argument. He seems vexed by a non issue. Id think it most helpful to eliminate at least one of the things that keeps him up at night.

Say such awful things about others. Hmm.
What's awful about what was said?

His statements are completely true in my experiences.
Maybe you should pretend to be a Christian on an Atheist forum for 2 weeks.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Kurieuo wrote:
Audie wrote:
1over137 wrote:
Audie wrote:

Thank you.

Say such awful things about others. Hmm.
What's awful about what was said?

His statements are completely true in my experiences.
Maybe you should pretend to be a Christian on an Atheist forum for 2 weeks.

Ok; whatevs. If its a top existential priority to figure out why some few people present as, or are perceived as jerks, then it is.

I thought maybe there were some actual issues, maybe not.
leo7alves
Newbie Member

Post by leo7alves »

Audie wrote:
I think the way I wrote crossed the line
With this confusion in my mind, I exaggerate a bit

I live in Brazil, here we have some TV channels where pastors are preaching the word of God throughout the night. They receive calls to help people going through difficult times, depression, financial crisis, family and relationship problems, among other things. But sometimes they receive calls from people saying they are stupid, there is no God. With so much hate and negativity. Which makes me wonder: Is this necessary?

But I know we should not judge people by what they believe or not. Theres always someone who pushes the limits. So respecting the others is essential

I recognize that I can have generalized, I do not want to offend anyone or create a discussion between atheists x Christians here.
So my apologies.
1over137 wrote:To the Gilgamesh:
Rich Deem, the owner of this site, has written down about similarities and differences here http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/gilgamesh.html
Thanks, i will read it.
Kurieuo wrote:Hi Leo,

Are you talking about just ending your life because it seems meaningless or you want to stop playing the game of life.
You know Paul himself appears to have had a little existential crisis himself, desiring to depart to be with God but found purpose to remain longer. (Philippians 1:23-24)

Also, a page at that site 1over137 mentioned: http://www.bethinking.org/is-there-mean ... ithout-god
Take a good read of that article. I'm sure you'll find it relevant and interesting.

Since this crisis started i keep searching for a lot of things and questions that came in my mind, and I think that too much information and misinformation ended up leaving me in this confused state.

But before all this happened, I simply ignored any related subject, I'd rather not be thinking about these things,
but after this i feel i "opened a door that it's hard to close"
but I think i still can take something good about it, and i will

anyway, Thanks man, i will read the article.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

leo7alves wrote:
Audie wrote:
I think the way I wrote crossed the line
With this confusion in my mind, I exaggerate a bit

I live in Brazil, here we have some TV channels where pastors are preaching the word of God throughout the night. They receive calls to help people going through difficult times, depression, financial crisis, family and relationship problems, among other things. But sometimes they receive calls from people saying they are stupid, there is no God. With so much hate and negativity. Which makes me wonder: Is this necessary?

But I know we should not judge people by what they believe or not. Theres always someone who pushes the limits. So respecting the others is essential

I recognize that I can have generalized, I do not want to offend anyone or create a discussion between atheists x Christians here.
So my apologies.
1over137 wrote:To the Gilgamesh:
Thanks, i will read it.
Kurieuo wrote:Hi Leo,

Since this crisis started i keep searching for a lot of things and questions that came in my mind, and I think that too much information and misinformation ended up leaving me in this confused state.

But before all this happened, I simply ignored any related subject, I'd rather not be thinking about these things,
but after this i feel i "opened a door that it's hard to close"
but I think i still can take something good about it, and i will

anyway, Thanks man, i will read the article.
I do wish you well. The energy you are putting into this will likely pay off.

Here is possibly a helpful hint, small as it is.

A friend from Philippines calls it "thinking-thinking", that thing one does at night, with half formed thoughts zooming around. Im sure we all do that..

Anyhow, her recipe is..get this.. two aspirin. I tried it, and it works for me.
Makes sense, aspirin affects the nervous system, no bigger nerve hive than the brain.

A couple aspirin takes the edge off and lets you sleep.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

I can recommend something else that takes the edge off, but some Christians mightn't approve.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Kurieuo wrote:I can recommend something else that takes the edge off, but some Christians mightn't approve.
y[-(

:mrgreen:
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
HappyFlappyTheist
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by HappyFlappyTheist »

Audie wrote:
Because they're insecure in their own beliefs; it's the same reason many 'immature' christians mock and belittle non-theistic beliefs. Mockery and belittlement can bring a faint, short-lived, sense of security to a person.
pulvis sum