Feeling the Love of God

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Feeling the Love of God

Post by RickD »

Nessa,

EssentialSacrifice is talking about God's impassibility, and immutability.

It's a little long, but this explains it in pretty good detail:
http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/articles/impassib.htm
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

EssentialSacrifice wrote:
From a strict theological perspective, God is incapable of emotion. One reason for that is because emotions are changeable. If God could change, then either he would not yet have something or he will lose something—and that is incompatible with the state of being perfect. If he is not perfect, he cannot be divine. His divinity means that he has all perfections. In order for God to weep over the death of a friend, God the Son first had to become man (cf. John 11:32–35).
They are saying that God is incapable of emotion... no matter which way you look at it.. that statement is false... and for God to weep.. jesus had to weep first?. Not so.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:
EssentialSacrifice wrote:
From a strict theological perspective, God is incapable of emotion. One reason for that is because emotions are changeable. If God could change, then either he would not yet have something or he will lose something—and that is incompatible with the state of being perfect. If he is not perfect, he cannot be divine. His divinity means that he has all perfections. In order for God to weep over the death of a friend, God the Son first had to become man (cf. John 11:32–35).
They are saying that God is incapable of emotion... no matter which way you look at it.. that statement is false... and for God to weep.. jesus had to weep first?. Not so.
Anthropomorphism. :D
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

I mean are you implying God doesn't 'feel'... how wonderful.. being in a relationship with someone who doesn't feel love for you only chooses to love you.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

is that the good news? God doesn't feel any love towards you but he will choose to love you anyway?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:I mean are you implying God doesn't 'feel'... how wonderful.. being in a relationship with someone who doesn't feel love for you only chooses to love you.
The reeeeeeely long article I posted, explains this.
To cite just one example, consider that God's love never wavers and never wanes. That alone makes it utterly unlike any human love we have ever experienced. If we consider how the Bible defines love rather than how we experience the passions associated with it, we can see that human love and divine love both have all the same characteristics, which are spelled out in detail in 1 Corinthians 13. But notice that not one characteristic in the biblical definition of love has anything whatsoever to do with passion. Real love, we discover, is nothing at all like the emotion most people refer to when they mention "love."
Does that help at all?

-Edward R Murrow

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

What Rick said above, also, these are things we say, because we can't comprehend or put it into words any other way.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by melanie »

I agree with you Davidstones. It is rendering a whole lot of scripture meaningless. I think God is immutable but I just don't think that that means he is unfeeling, or incapable of emotion. I just don't think we understand fully how God can both be unchanging and able to experience emotion because the only thing we have to compare the experience of 'feeling' is through a human lens. I think scripture makes it clear. Theology and/or philosophy no matter how ticking to the ears it may be does not trump the Word of God. To use anthrophormisms to explain it away just doesn't cut it for me. It is flawed reasoning. Even from a literary standpoint.
That's just my opinion. Many disagree. Have had this discussion on here previously.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

melanie wrote:I agree with you Davidstones. It is rendering a whole lot of scripture meaningless. I think God is immutable but I just don't think that that means he is unfeeling, or incapable of emotion. I just don't think we understand fully how God can both be unchanging and able to experience emotion because the only thing we have to compare the experience of 'feeling' is through a human lens. I think scripture makes it clear. Theology and/or philosophy no matter how ticking to the ears it may be does not trump the Word of God. To use anthrophormisms to explain it away just doesn't cut it for me. It is flawed reasoning. Even from a literary standpoint.
That's just my opinion. Many disagree. Have had this discussion on here previously.
Yes Mel,

I remember how wrong you were in that discussion. :lol:

We tend to think of emotion in human terms. God's "emotions" don't change.

That certainly doesn't mean God doesn't love. He is love.

-Edward R Murrow

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Thanks melanie :-)

The article didnt really help.. just confused me BUT i am blonde.. i will admit that may have a little something to do with it.

I'm afraid if the God i believe in doesn't 'feel' then I'll be spending eternity doing this to him....

:poke:
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

RickD wrote:
melanie wrote:I agree with you Davidstones. It is rendering a whole lot of scripture meaningless. I think God is immutable but I just don't think that that means he is unfeeling, or incapable of emotion. I just don't think we understand fully how God can both be unchanging and able to experience emotion because the only thing we have to compare the experience of 'feeling' is through a human lens. I think scripture makes it clear. Theology and/or philosophy no matter how ticking to the ears it may be does not trump the Word of God. To use anthrophormisms to explain it away just doesn't cut it for me. It is flawed reasoning. Even from a literary standpoint.
Yes Mel,

Ohh Rick. Subjectively wrong to you, but objectively right in the big picture. Haven't you leant anything from the discussions on subjectivness with Kenny? :mrgreen:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

melanie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Yes Mel,

Ohh Rick. Subjectively wrong to you, but objectively right in the big picture. Haven't you leant anything from the discussions on subjectivness with Kenny? :mrgreen:
Kenny who?

-Edward R Murrow

melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Nessa wrote:Thanks melanie :-)

The article didnt really help.. just confused me BUT i am blonde.. i will admit that may have a little something to do with it.

I'm afraid if the God i believe in doesn't 'feel' then I'll be spending eternity doing this to him....

:poke:
Don't be ridiculous, I'm blonde and it just adds to my impeccable intelligence. I'm just waiting for others to catch up :mrgreen:

I have read up on this a lot and don't worry. He 'feels'. When we get to heaven we can :poke: at all the doubters :ebiggrin:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I'm done. There's nothing more futile than debating with two blonde females! :dig: :underchair:

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

My daughter's blonde. At age 7, that's enough blonde.
Just kidding, all my others are boys with dark hair.
My daughter is such a pleasure. My little princess.
The others are definitely not princesses. :lol:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)