Where did Jesus body go?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 74 times

Where did Jesus body go?

#1

Post by Kenny » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:18 pm

Where did Jesus body go after resurrection? Did his body (blood, bones, flesh, etc) go to heaven? I was under the impression only the spirit goes to Heaven, and the body stays. Is Jesus going to be the only one in Heaven with an earthly human body?


Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

User avatar
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Posts: 10034
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 648 times
Been liked: 665 times

Re: Where did Jesus body go?

#2

Post by Kurieuo » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:38 pm

Kenny wrote:Where did Jesus body go after resurrection? Did his body (blood, bones, flesh, etc) go to heaven? I was under the impression only the spirit goes to Heaven, and the body stays. Is Jesus going to be the only one in Heaven with an earthly human body?


Ken
Or, how about angels who are spiritual beings, and yet are believed to have presented themselves in human bodily form?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2879
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:01 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Aussie Land
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Where did Jesus body go?

#3

Post by Danieltwotwenty » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:44 pm

What is the body, isn't it pure energy condensed to a slow vibration?
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.

User avatar
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Posts: 1952
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:38 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: United Kingdom
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Where did Jesus body go?

#4

Post by Silvertusk » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:47 am

Kenny wrote:Where did Jesus body go after resurrection? Did his body (blood, bones, flesh, etc) go to heaven? I was under the impression only the spirit goes to Heaven, and the body stays. Is Jesus going to be the only one in Heaven with an earthly human body?


Ken

He is wearing it. It was resurrected into its current glorified form - showing us the way our bodies will look when the last days will come. So yes he probably is the only person in heaven at the moment with a human body.

User avatar
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3053
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:54 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: UK
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 340 times

Re: Where did Jesus body go?

#5

Post by Storyteller » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:24 am

I think we will be given new bodies that will better reflect our spirits.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 9228
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 349 times

Re: Where did Jesus body go?

#6

Post by PaulSacramento » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:37 am

Kenny wrote:Where did Jesus body go after resurrection? Did his body (blood, bones, flesh, etc) go to heaven? I was under the impression only the spirit goes to Heaven, and the body stays. Is Jesus going to be the only one in Heaven with an earthly human body?


Ken
Jesus has a resurrected body- flesh and bones but no blood as per Luke 24:39, John 20, etc..

It is not a human body per say, not like ours.

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 74 times

Re: Where did Jesus body go?

#7

Post by Kenny » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:21 pm

Silvertusk wrote:
Kenny wrote:Where did Jesus body go after resurrection? Did his body (blood, bones, flesh, etc) go to heaven? I was under the impression only the spirit goes to Heaven, and the body stays. Is Jesus going to be the only one in Heaven with an earthly human body?


Ken

He is wearing it. It was resurrected into its current glorified form - showing us the way our bodies will look when the last days will come. So yes he probably is the only person in heaven at the moment with a human body.
Thanks you. What about Elijah? Do you suppose he still has his human body?

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 74 times

Re: Where did Jesus body go?

#8

Post by Kenny » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:25 pm

PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:Where did Jesus body go after resurrection? Did his body (blood, bones, flesh, etc) go to heaven? I was under the impression only the spirit goes to Heaven, and the body stays. Is Jesus going to be the only one in Heaven with an earthly human body?


Ken
Jesus has a resurrected body- flesh and bones but no blood as per Luke 24:39, John 20, etc..

It is not a human body per say, not like ours.
So if I understand you correctly, Jesus body changed sometime between resurrection and the time he ascended to Heaven? If that is so, do you suppose he still had his regular body when he asked Mary not to touch him, and allowed Thomas to touch the holes in his hand?

K
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

User avatar
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Posts: 10034
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 648 times
Been liked: 665 times

Re: Where did Jesus body go?

#9

Post by Kurieuo » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:41 pm

K, I'd refer you to 1 Corinthians 15:35-54 which provides some differences between bodies pre/post-resurrection.

Just because there is a physical appearance doesn't mean the body is physically reduced.
My beliefs would be that Jesus doesn't have a "regular body" like you or I.
Further, none of us will have our "regular bodies" if the resurrection is true and we be resurrected.
This is supported by the passage that I just presented.

I see Jesus' resurrected body as qualitatively different from our physical bodies, "foldable" into either into a physical or spiritual appearance.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

User avatar
Rob
Valued Member
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:26 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Where did Jesus body go?

#10

Post by Rob » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:29 pm

Kenny wrote: So if I understand you correctly, Jesus body changed sometime between resurrection and the time he ascended to Heaven? If that is so, do you suppose he still had his regular body when he asked Mary not to touch him, and allowed Thomas to touch the holes in his hand?
I'm not sure, but I think that He resurrected with his new body. The way I understand it, Jesus didn't let Mary touch Him because he hadn't yet ascended and made atonement to the Father. (Think of the high priest going into the Holy of Holies) When he came back again he allowed people to touch Him showing us that His atonement worked.

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Posts: 4964
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:31 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory
Has liked: 203 times
Been liked: 168 times

Re: Where did Jesus body go?

#11

Post by abelcainsbrother » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:57 pm

Jesus has a new glorified body but it still bears the scars of crucifixion.

Every crown has its thorns.

http://m.youtube.com/?reload=2&rdm=1f75 ... 0Oh6rRR56c
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.

User avatar
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Posts: 1952
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:38 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: United Kingdom
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Where did Jesus body go?

#12

Post by Silvertusk » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:14 am

Kenny wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:
Kenny wrote:Where did Jesus body go after resurrection? Did his body (blood, bones, flesh, etc) go to heaven? I was under the impression only the spirit goes to Heaven, and the body stays. Is Jesus going to be the only one in Heaven with an earthly human body?


Ken

He is wearing it. It was resurrected into its current glorified form - showing us the way our bodies will look when the last days will come. So yes he probably is the only person in heaven at the moment with a human body.
Thanks you. What about Elijah? Do you suppose he still has his human body?

Ken

A very good question. And the answer is - I don't know.

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 9228
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 349 times

Re: Where did Jesus body go?

#13

Post by PaulSacramento » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:20 am

Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:Where did Jesus body go after resurrection? Did his body (blood, bones, flesh, etc) go to heaven? I was under the impression only the spirit goes to Heaven, and the body stays. Is Jesus going to be the only one in Heaven with an earthly human body?


Ken
Jesus has a resurrected body- flesh and bones but no blood as per Luke 24:39, John 20, etc..

It is not a human body per say, not like ours.
So if I understand you correctly, Jesus body changed sometime between resurrection and the time he ascended to Heaven? If that is so, do you suppose he still had his regular body when he asked Mary not to touch him, and allowed Thomas to touch the holes in his hand?

K
His body is the kind of body we will have at the time of our resurrection.
Flesh and Bone but no blood, we won't need it ( blood) because it will be a spiritual body in the sense of it being "powered" by "spirit energy" ( for lack of a better word).
Muck like the angels, it will be far more powerful than we can imagine.

The laws of this universe will not apply to us in our new bodies, just like they don't apply to Jesus and His angels.

There is no indication that Jesus had his human body after He was resurrected, it was His newly resurrected body.

User avatar
Byblos
Old School
Posts: 6028
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:21 pm
Christian: Yes
Location: NY
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 142 times

Re: Where did Jesus body go?

#14

Post by Byblos » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:50 am

PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:Where did Jesus body go after resurrection? Did his body (blood, bones, flesh, etc) go to heaven? I was under the impression only the spirit goes to Heaven, and the body stays. Is Jesus going to be the only one in Heaven with an earthly human body?


Ken
Jesus has a resurrected body- flesh and bones but no blood as per Luke 24:39, John 20, etc..

It is not a human body per say, not like ours.
So if I understand you correctly, Jesus body changed sometime between resurrection and the time he ascended to Heaven? If that is so, do you suppose he still had his regular body when he asked Mary not to touch him, and allowed Thomas to touch the holes in his hand?

K
His body is the kind of body we will have at the time of our resurrection.
Flesh and Bone but no blood, we won't need it ( blood) because it will be a spiritual body in the sense of it being "powered" by "spirit energy" ( for lack of a better word).
Muck like the angels, it will be far more powerful than we can imagine.

The laws of this universe will not apply to us in our new bodies, just like they don't apply to Jesus and His angels.

There is no indication that Jesus had his human body after He was resurrected, it was His newly resurrected body.
What are you talking about? That goes against every account of the resurrection in the gospels. One of the most compelling evidences for the resurrection is the abscence of the body from the tomb. If Jesus didn't resurrect in his human body we'd be hard pressed explaining that in resurrection terms. And if he indeed was resurrected in his human body then he was resurrected with the body in its entirety, blood and all. Otherwise blood should have been evident in the tomb in place of the body. The fact that Tomas touched Jesus' wounds where there was no blood doesn't mean his body didn't have any.

As to the question where his body is now, I believe it is in heaven. And yes, this means there is a physical dimention to heaven, one inaccessible to us at this stage. Think about it, if we believe in the physical resurrection of the body (albeit in a different form than we currently have) then there must be a physical reality corresponding to this new body. So why can't Jesus' body already be there now?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 9228
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 349 times

Re: Where did Jesus body go?

#15

Post by PaulSacramento » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:26 am

Byblos wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:Where did Jesus body go after resurrection? Did his body (blood, bones, flesh, etc) go to heaven? I was under the impression only the spirit goes to Heaven, and the body stays. Is Jesus going to be the only one in Heaven with an earthly human body?


Ken
Jesus has a resurrected body- flesh and bones but no blood as per Luke 24:39, John 20, etc..

It is not a human body per say, not like ours.
So if I understand you correctly, Jesus body changed sometime between resurrection and the time he ascended to Heaven? If that is so, do you suppose he still had his regular body when he asked Mary not to touch him, and allowed Thomas to touch the holes in his hand?

K
His body is the kind of body we will have at the time of our resurrection.
Flesh and Bone but no blood, we won't need it ( blood) because it will be a spiritual body in the sense of it being "powered" by "spirit energy" ( for lack of a better word).
Muck like the angels, it will be far more powerful than we can imagine.

The laws of this universe will not apply to us in our new bodies, just like they don't apply to Jesus and His angels.

There is no indication that Jesus had his human body after He was resurrected, it was His newly resurrected body.
What are you talking about? That goes against every account of the resurrection in the gospels. One of the most compelling evidences for the resurrection is the abscence of the body from the tomb. If Jesus didn't resurrect in his human body we'd be hard pressed explaining that in resurrection terms. And if he indeed was resurrected in his human body then he was resurrected with the body in its entirety, blood and all. Otherwise blood should have been evident in the tomb in place of the body. The fact that Tomas touched Jesus' wounds where there was no blood doesn't mean his body didn't have any.

As to the question where his body is now, I believe it is in heaven. And yes, this means there is a physical dimention to heaven, one inaccessible to us at this stage. Think about it, if we believe in the physical resurrection of the body (albeit in a different form than we currently have) then there must be a physical reality corresponding to this new body. So why can't Jesus' body already be there now?

So you are saying that His resurrected body was exactly like any other human body?
Because the accounts do not say that at all.
With this resurrected body He could fly ( taken up into the clouds), He could pass through walls ( enter closed rooms).
He never states that He is flesh and blood ( which would be a typical comment on his human form) but states that He is flesh and bones.

I am going by the literal accounts that describe His resurrected state:
John 20: 19-20
Luke 24: 38-39

In terms of how His body looks in Heaven, we have Revelation 1:12-18

As for no blood, we have Paul's statement in Corinthians 15:35-50

But someone will say, “How are the dead raised? And with what kind of body do they come?”... All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one flesh of men, and another flesh of beasts... There are also heavenly bodies and earthly bodies... So also is the resurrection of the dead... it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body... Just as we have borne the image of the earthy, we will also bear the image of the heavenly. Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. -1 Corinthians 15:35-50


Paul makes it clear that flesh and blood can not inherit Heaven BUT we know form Christ that Flesh and Bone can for His body was such.

Post Reply