Slavery in the Bible

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
outlaw
Established Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Slavery in the Bible

Post by outlaw »

Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Slavery in the Bible

Post by Philip »

Outlaw, while you think you are being clever, linking articles by people who are largely ignorant of what God's word says about slavery, and what slavery was IN ANCIENT ISRAEL - which stood in enormous contrast to that of the heathen nations around them - then go get a copy of this book: http://www.amazon.com/Is-God-Moral-Mons ... 0801072751 If you are seriously wanting to understand this issue, and not merely trying to drudge up one thing after another that you THINK discredits Christianity and the Bible, you'll pursue it. It prolifically answers the critics and reveals the half-baked understandings that they typically base their accusations on, concerning the issue of slavery in the Bible.

As a mod here, please understand that you are under tremendous scrutiny, per you past trouble-making, baiting tactics and haughty attitude. You are here as a guest. Be respectful and don't think for a moment the members here are going to try to chase every rabbit you throw out to the many holes you attempt to dig. That smacks of insincerity of your supposed purpose of being here. It's not that you can't ask questions you truly want answers to - or even things about Christianity and the Bible you find disturbing. But if your mission is to waste people's time with more rabbits and holes, or to try to smear Christian beliefs and Scripture with false accusations, you WILL BE BANNED - permanently! After being given a chance, instead of coming back with a good attitude, first thing out of the penalty box you try to machine-gun accusations on another topic, showing you know little to do but to surf the internet looking for supposed facts on Biblical subjects you know little about. That doesn't bode well for your future here. Just saying, you best be careful how you proceed. You are welcome here, unless you continue to cross the line.
outlaw
Established Member

Post by outlaw »

Philip wrote:Outlaw, while you think you are being clever, linking articles by people who are largely ignorant of what God's word says about slavery, and what slavery was IN ANCIENT ISRAEL - which stood in enormous contrast to that of the heathen nations around them - then go get a copy of this book: http://www.amazon.com/Is-God-Moral-Mons ... 0801072751 If you are seriously wanting to understand this issue, and not merely trying to drudge up one thing after another that you THINK discredits Christianity and the Bible, you'll pursue it. It prolifically answers the critics and reveals the half-baked understandings that they typically base their accusations on, concerning the issue of slavery in the Bible.

As a mod here, please understand that you are under tremendous scrutiny, per you past trouble-making, baiting tactics and haughty attitude. You are here as a guest. Be respectful and don't think for a moment the members here are going to try to chase every rabbit you throw out to the many holes you attempt to dig. That smacks of insincerity of your supposed purpose of being here. It's not that you can't ask questions you truly want answers to - or even things about Christianity and the Bible you find disturbing. But if your mission is to waste people's time with more rabbits and holes, or to try to smear Christian beliefs and Scripture with false accusations, you WILL BE BANNED - permanently! After being given a chance, instead of coming back with a good attitude, first thing out of the penalty box you try to machine-gun accusations on another topic, showing you know little to do but to surf the internet looking for supposed facts on Biblical subjects you know little about. That doesn't bode well for your future here. Just saying, you best be careful how you proceed. You are welcome here, unless you continue to cross the line.
Im interested to know if you actually read any of what i posted before you said all this, did you read any?
Lonewolf
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Lonewolf »

sir outlaw, that's just too much to read and still stay focused
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Lonewolf wrote:sir outlaw, that's just too much to read and still stay focused
I warned on another thread the radical rule to spam the senses with a myth of power the that one has not...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
outlaw
Established Member

Post by outlaw »

Look up the meaning of the greek word doulos.

Remember this has nothing to do with ''The time back then" if you claim that the bible is GODS WORD then these are GODS WORDS. yes i understand slavery was going on in those times but i wonder why the timeless eternal god gives instructions for slave keeping.

When a slave owner strikes a male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies immediately, the owner shall be punished. But if the slave survives a day or two, there is no punishment; for the slave is the owner's property. (Exod. 21:20-21) Please explain
outlaw
Established Member

Post by outlaw »

That's too much haha, you read the bible right.
I understand this is a touchy subject but it's in your bible don't pretend it's not, so lets discuss it.

Just read one that's enough
Lonewolf
Valued Member

Post by Lonewolf »

outlaw wrote:

I understand this is a touchy subject but it's in your bible don't pretend it's not, so lets discuss it.

yeah man, the Bible is a lot to read too, but what is the point exactly that you're trying to make?
without going in a thousand diff directions, just what is that you would like to point out with slavery in the Bible, but put it in your own words - layman's terms!?
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
outlaw
Established Member

Post by outlaw »

Lonewolf wrote:
outlaw wrote:

yeah man, the Bible is a lot to read too, but what is the point exactly that you're trying to make?
without going in a thousand diff directions, just what is that you would like to point out with slavery in the Bible, but put it in your own words - layman's terms!?
My point is the god that gave these instructions is the same god of today just because times change god doesn't yet you want call it loving.
Its also the same god that commits genocide.
My point is, how christians describe god and what I read myself and what others point out by others I mean (people without the pre existing idea that god is loving) don't match. Now im sure I could dig up passages that demonstrate god is loving but you can't ignore others so how do you reconcile this?
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

My point is the god that gave these instructions is the same god of today just because times change god doesn't yet you want call it loving.
Again, READ the BOOK ("Is God a Moral Monster?")! It's all there so that anyone can gain a much clearer understanding of what many now falsely believe or are disturbed by what they THINK they know about how God dealt with those in OT times. But I don't think you are serious, else you would be eager to read it. There is complexity to some things that are difficult to understand that take some study. But you don't appear to be doing anything other than trying to throw out as many accusations against Christianity and the Bible as possible.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Outlaw,

Show us you are serious about learning. I have an offer for you. If you're serious about learning like you say you are, I have a copy of the book, Is God A Moral Monster, that I will send you free of charge. Just pm me an address to send it to, and I will put it in the mail.

The ball is in your court.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

Outlaw, remember it was mankind who was making use of slaves. God just gave the rules by which they should be treated.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Lonewolf
Valued Member

Post by Lonewolf »

outlaw wrote: My point is the god that gave these instructions is the same god of today just because times change god doesn't yet you want call it loving.
My point is, how christians describe god and what I read myself and what others point out by others I mean (people without the pre existing idea that god is loving) don't match. Now im sure I could dig up passages that demonstrate god is loving but you can't ignore others so how do you reconcile this?
Here's the link to what G&S has to share on the subject of slavery..

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... bible.html
outlaw
Established Member

Post by outlaw »

Stu wrote:Outlaw, remember it was mankind who was making use of slaves. God just gave the rules by which they should be treated.
Yeah that's exactly what I have a problem with
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Outlaw,

I'm offering to send you a book for free. To wherever in aussie land you live. If you are willing to read it and be open to learning something new.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony