Slavery in the Bible

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
outlaw
Established Member
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:28 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Slavery in the Bible

#61

Post by outlaw » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:03 pm

RickD wrote:I have to apologize. I made a mistake on my last post. In my analogy, I said, "If my brother owed me money that he couldn't repay, then he'd offer himself as my slave to work off the debt. If my brother became lazy, and stopped working to pay off what he owed me, and the punishment that the law required was a physical beating, then that's the punishment."

I don't know where I got that from. A physical beating wasn't a required punishment for slaves. So I took outlaw's bad analogy, and made my own bad analogy.

Let's get back to the verses that outlaw originally had a problem with.
Exodus 21:20-21
20 “If a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod and he dies [a]at his hand, he shall be punished. 21 If, however, he [c]survives a day or two, no vengeance shall be taken; for he is his [d]property.

First off, these verses are not condoning the beating of slaves. They just lay out the required punishment if a slave is beaten and dies. For someone to say God condones slavery or beating of slaves from these verses, just shows your bias, outlaw.
Verse 20 is fairly simple to understand. If a slaveowner kills a slave in cold blood, the slaveowner needs to die as punishment.
Now let me try to explain verse 21 in a modern context.
A man owes a debt of $200,000. Outlaw, being a wealthy man, agrees to pay off the man's debt, if the man agrees to be outlaw's worker for 6 years, then he will go free with the debt paid. The man agrees.

One day outlaw and the hired worker (slave) get into an argument. In the heat of the argument, outlaw hits the man with a baseball bat. The worker dies. Outlaw must be put to death for murder. But if the man lives, he's sent to the hospital.

Then outlaw and the man appear in court for the incident. The judge sees the man's injuries, pain, and suffering. The judge requires outlaw to pay the man $200,000 in damages. Then outlaw tells the judge that the man agreed to work for him to pay off $200,000 in debt that the man owed. But since the man owed outlaw $200,000 as compensation for the debt, it's a wash.

Keep in mind, these verses lay out the punishment for the crime. They don't condone the crime. Only someone such as outlaw, with his anti-God, anti-bible bias, reads something into these verses that isn't there, to fit his agenda. And since he has been told this multiple times, and still continues to use these verses to say God condones slavery and beating slaves, it's pretty obvious that outlaw has no desire to learn.

For anyone else reading this thread who wants to understand the verses in question, this is where I got my analogy from.
http://www.revelation.co/2013/06/09/bib ... s-2120-21/



Of course if you want to believe that the god that gave these rules is loving and just then you have to sugar coat these verses in order to hold those views, you have to find a way to explain away the harshness of these verses and I've gotta say you've done it exceptionally, I just don't buy it and it's not because I want to continue to think god isn't just, it's just because to me a god who doesn't tolerate sin and a god who is said to be loving would of made rules against keeping slaves in the first place not allowed it but made rules for slave keepers.
It would be like me instead of making a rule that my kids aren't allowed to fight, instead I let them fight but make rules about how much they can hurt each other then punish them if they go too far, it's a ridiculous way of going about attempting to protect one of my children.

User avatar
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:55 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Lower Canuckistan
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Slavery in the Bible

#62

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:54 pm

outlaw wrote:Of course if you want to believe that the god that gave these rules is loving and just then you have to sugar coat these verses in order to hold those views, you have to find a way to explain away the harshness of these verses and I've gotta say you've done it exceptionally, I just don't buy it and it's not because I want to continue to think god isn't just, it's just because to me a god who doesn't tolerate sin and a god who is said to be loving would of made rules against keeping slaves in the first place not allowed it but made rules for slave keepers. It would be like me instead of making a rule that my kids aren't allowed to fight, instead I let them fight but make rules about how much they can hurt each other then punish them if they go too far, it's a ridiculous way of going about attempting to protect one of my children.
You don't understand, and you never will. It is impossible for those who hate God to understand the things of God. I was an atheist, an atheist proselyte no less, so I understand you very well. I can assure you that no amount of explaining will convince you to see things from our point of view. The Biblical evidence to support my point:

- Da 12:9-10, the wicked - those who do not believe - are unable to understand.
- 1Cor2:14,15,16, here is very clearly stated that the unregenerate (that's you) are unable to understand.

The mistake you are making is that you don't accept our answers at face value. You ask a question from people who have intimate knowledge about the Bible, and you criticize the answer! We are not discussing football or something equally silly where your opinion is just as worthless as mine. I've already told you that you are ignorant about the Bible, so just listen to what we say and learn. I hate seeing atheists making fools of themselves...it reminds me of what I used to be.

FL y:-?
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +

outlaw
Established Member
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:28 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Slavery in the Bible

#63

Post by outlaw » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:43 pm

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
outlaw wrote:Of course if you want to believe that the god that gave these rules is loving and just then you have to sugar coat these verses in order to hold those views, you have to find a way to explain away the harshness of these verses and I've gotta say you've done it exceptionally, I just don't buy it and it's not because I want to continue to think god isn't just, it's just because to me a god who doesn't tolerate sin and a god who is said to be loving would of made rules against keeping slaves in the first place not allowed it but made rules for slave keepers. It would be like me instead of making a rule that my kids aren't allowed to fight, instead I let them fight but make rules about how much they can hurt each other then punish them if they go too far, it's a ridiculous way of going about attempting to protect one of my children.
You don't understand, and you never will. It is impossible for those who hate God to understand the things of God. I was an atheist, an atheist proselyte no less, so I understand you very well. I can assure you that no amount of explaining will convince you to see things from our point of view. The Biblical evidence to support my point:

- Da 12:9-10, the wicked - those who do not believe - are unable to understand.
- 1Cor2:14,15,16, here is very clearly stated that the unregenerate (that's you) are unable to understand.

The mistake you are making is that you don't accept our answers at face value. You ask a question from people who have intimate knowledge about the Bible, and you criticize the answer! We are not discussing football or something equally silly where your opinion is just as worthless as mine. I've already told you that you are ignorant about the Bible, so just listen to what we say and learn. I hate seeing atheists making fools of themselves...it reminds me of what I used to be.

FL y:-?
Why should I believe anything written in the bible over any other claimed divinely inspired book? Why is the bible any different?
I wish people would stop telling me who I hate.

User avatar
1over137
Technical Admin
Posts: 5197
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 6:05 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Slovakia
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 284 times

Re: Slavery in the Bible

#64

Post by 1over137 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:52 pm

outlaw wrote:
RickD wrote:I have to apologize. I made a mistake on my last post. In my analogy, I said, "If my brother owed me money that he couldn't repay, then he'd offer himself as my slave to work off the debt. If my brother became lazy, and stopped working to pay off what he owed me, and the punishment that the law required was a physical beating, then that's the punishment."

I don't know where I got that from. A physical beating wasn't a required punishment for slaves. So I took outlaw's bad analogy, and made my own bad analogy.

Let's get back to the verses that outlaw originally had a problem with.
Exodus 21:20-21
20 “If a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod and he dies [a]at his hand, he shall be punished. 21 If, however, he [c]survives a day or two, no vengeance shall be taken; for he is his [d]property.

First off, these verses are not condoning the beating of slaves. They just lay out the required punishment if a slave is beaten and dies. For someone to say God condones slavery or beating of slaves from these verses, just shows your bias, outlaw.
Verse 20 is fairly simple to understand. If a slaveowner kills a slave in cold blood, the slaveowner needs to die as punishment.
Now let me try to explain verse 21 in a modern context.
A man owes a debt of $200,000. Outlaw, being a wealthy man, agrees to pay off the man's debt, if the man agrees to be outlaw's worker for 6 years, then he will go free with the debt paid. The man agrees.

One day outlaw and the hired worker (slave) get into an argument. In the heat of the argument, outlaw hits the man with a baseball bat. The worker dies. Outlaw must be put to death for murder. But if the man lives, he's sent to the hospital.

Then outlaw and the man appear in court for the incident. The judge sees the man's injuries, pain, and suffering. The judge requires outlaw to pay the man $200,000 in damages. Then outlaw tells the judge that the man agreed to work for him to pay off $200,000 in debt that the man owed. But since the man owed outlaw $200,000 as compensation for the debt, it's a wash.

Keep in mind, these verses lay out the punishment for the crime. They don't condone the crime. Only someone such as outlaw, with his anti-God, anti-bible bias, reads something into these verses that isn't there, to fit his agenda. And since he has been told this multiple times, and still continues to use these verses to say God condones slavery and beating slaves, it's pretty obvious that outlaw has no desire to learn.

For anyone else reading this thread who wants to understand the verses in question, this is where I got my analogy from.
http://www.revelation.co/2013/06/09/bib ... s-2120-21/



Of course if you want to believe that the god that gave these rules is loving and just then you have to sugar coat these verses in order to hold those views, you have to find a way to explain away the harshness of these verses and I've gotta say you've done it exceptionally, I just don't buy it and it's not because I want to continue to think god isn't just, it's just because to me a god who doesn't tolerate sin and a god who is said to be loving would of made rules against keeping slaves in the first place not allowed it but made rules for slave keepers.
It would be like me instead of making a rule that my kids aren't allowed to fight, instead I let them fight but make rules about how much they can hurt each other then punish them if they go too far, it's a ridiculous way of going about attempting to protect one of my children.


You do not listen.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart

User avatar
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Posts: 8365
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:17 am
Christian: Yes
Location: Colorado
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 260 times

Re: Slavery in the Bible

#65

Post by B. W. » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:24 pm

outlaw wrote:...Of course if you want to believe that the god that gave these rules is loving and just then you have to sugar coat these verses in order to hold those views, you have to find a way to explain away the harshness of these verses and I've gotta say you've done it exceptionally, I just don't buy it and it's not because I want to continue to think god isn't just, it's just because to me a god who doesn't tolerate sin and a god who is said to be loving would of made rules against keeping slaves in the first place not allowed it but made rules for slave keepers.

It would be like me instead of making a rule that my kids aren't allowed to fight, instead I let them fight but make rules about how much they can hurt each other then punish them if they go too far, it's a ridiculous way of going about attempting to protect one of my children.
Sounds to me like you are making all the rules here...

You are viewing things from a modern ethnocentric point of view against a bygone era and attempting to frame God (put God on trial) by bearing false witness by taking his word out of context to build a case to crucify God on, albeit, only in your mind. You appear to be fair minded, so what would you call a person who attempts to frame another and falsely strings that person's words together, out of context, so you can convict them of a crime and kill them - tell me how you are not doing the same here?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys

outlaw
Established Member
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:28 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Slavery in the Bible

#66

Post by outlaw » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:38 pm

No matter how you want to explain it, making rules in regards to how slave owners are punished for treating their slaves is immoral as far as im concerned. The fact that rules were made is enough it doesn't matter whether it's if or when they die or what the punishment is it's irrelevant.
Allowing people to own other people as property is immoral as far as i'm concerned making rules around it doesn't change it.
None of you would accept these rules today as a good way to treat people so there's no reason to excuse them then.
They're terrible rules no matter for who for what for where and when they were made.
Stop telling me i don't understand, i understand perfectly fine, and i still think it's immoral. Do you understand that?

outlaw
Established Member
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:28 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Slavery in the Bible

#67

Post by outlaw » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:56 pm

B. W. wrote:
outlaw wrote:...Of course if you want to believe that the god that gave these rules is loving and just then you have to sugar coat these verses in order to hold those views, you have to find a way to explain away the harshness of these verses and I've gotta say you've done it exceptionally, I just don't buy it and it's not because I want to continue to think god isn't just, it's just because to me a god who doesn't tolerate sin and a god who is said to be loving would of made rules against keeping slaves in the first place not allowed it but made rules for slave keepers.

It would be like me instead of making a rule that my kids aren't allowed to fight, instead I let them fight but make rules about how much they can hurt each other then punish them if they go too far, it's a ridiculous way of going about attempting to protect one of my children.
Sounds to me like you are making all the rules here...

You are viewing things from a modern ethnocentric point of view against a bygone era and attempting to frame God (put God on trial) by bearing false witness by taking his word out of context to build a case to crucify God on, albeit, only in your mind. You appear to be fair minded, so what would you call a person who attempts to frame another and falsely strings that person's words together, out of context, so you can convict them of a crime and kill them - tell me how you are not doing the same here?
-
-
-
Do you agree these rules are good rules? Are you ok with people owning other people as property?
If its not ok today its not ok back then.
You could take any historical figure that is recorded to do horrible things and say 'your just looking at it in a modern point of view against a bygone era and attempting to frame Hitler. If you understand the times then what Hitler did was justified. No!!!! what's wrong is wrong then, now and a thousand years from now.

User avatar
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Posts: 8365
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:17 am
Christian: Yes
Location: Colorado
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 260 times

Re: Slavery in the Bible

#68

Post by B. W. » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:16 am

outlaw wrote:No matter how you want to explain it, making rules in regards to how slave owners are punished for treating their slaves is immoral as far as im concerned. The fact that rules were made is enough it doesn't matter whether it's if or when they die or what the punishment is it's irrelevant.

Allowing people to own other people as property is immoral as far as i'm concerned making rules around it doesn't change it.

None of you would accept these rules today as a good way to treat people so there's no reason to excuse them then.

They're terrible rules no matter for who for what for where and when they were made.

Stop telling me i don't understand, i understand perfectly fine, and i still think it's immoral. Do you understand that?
You are ethnocentric supremacist in your views and therefore completely unable and incompetent to understand the bible in ancient historical context.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnocentrism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supremacism

...and because of this, you better believe I have the right to call you whatever I like.

Listen, it is up to you to prove that Christians own slaves today, hold slave auctions, and condone slavery, and then you will have a case. Other than that, you're just another modernist ethnocentric supremacist judging ancient culture, times, era by modern day standards all done with an ax to grind with pure vitriol spite.

Again...

It is human beings, who enslaved others, not God and you are trying hard to indite God of the crime of allowing free moral agency in human beings and then lecture us how noble you are toward your own children. Do you put rules on them and do what is necessary to steer them to become better human beings guiding them through their short comings and flaws? Isn't that the goal of all good parents? ...and now you condemn God, as criminal, for what you yourself condone! :shakehead:

That is if you really are a decent parent...
-
-
-

PS Lastly as for you equivalency argument of your last post above... I would have been made a slave in ancient times, with me being a Christian and then most likely put to death in the arena - the very thing you enjoy to see happen to Christians today...
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys

outlaw
Established Member
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:28 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Slavery in the Bible

#69

Post by outlaw » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:51 am

B. W. wrote:
outlaw wrote:No matter how you want to explain it, making rules in regards to how slave owners are punished for treating their slaves is immoral as far as im concerned. The fact that rules were made is enough it doesn't matter whether it's if or when they die or what the punishment is it's irrelevant.

Allowing people to own other people as property is immoral as far as i'm concerned making rules around it doesn't change it.

None of you would accept these rules today as a good way to treat people so there's no reason to excuse them then.

They're terrible rules no matter for who for what for where and when they were made.

Stop telling me i don't understand, i understand perfectly fine, and i still think it's immoral. Do you understand that?
You are ethnocentric supremacist in your views and therefore completely unable and incompetent to understand the bible in ancient historical context.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnocentrism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supremacism

...and because of this, you better believe I have the right to call you whatever I like.

Listen, it is up to you to prove that Christians own slaves today, hold slave auctions, and condone slavery, and then you will have a case. Other than that, you're just another modernist ethnocentric supremacist judging ancient culture, times, era by modern day standards all done with an ax to grind with pure vitriol spite.

Again...

It is human beings, who enslaved others, not God and you are trying hard to indite God of the crime of allowing free moral agency in human beings and then lecture us how noble you are toward your own children. Do you put rules on them and do what is necessary to steer them to become better human beings guiding them through their short comings and flaws? Isn't that the goal of all good parents? ...and now you condemn God, as criminal, for what you yourself condone! :shakehead:

That is if you really are a decent parent...
-
-
-

Ok now your totally reading too much into it and totally misunderstanding me.
Im not trying to say Christians own slaves, or condone slavery or whatever, your getting carried away.
Yes i know humans enslaved others, but god, instead of making rules which would abolish slavery decides instead to let it go on, but make rules on how slave owners who beat their slaves should be punished.

He could of made rules to eradicate it but instead made rules to control it.
In my opinion that is immoral, you can disagree, that's fine.

Read up some history how some southern slave owners used the bible to justify what they were doing, now whether their understanding was correct or not it doesn't matter, to them their bible justified it, now if god would of made it absolutely clear that this practice was not accepted then these crackpots that used the bible couldn't say "well its fine in the bible"

That's why i ask if you agree that these rules are good for what was happening in those times?
Do you agree they would also be good today? if not why not?
Im giving you the opportunity to explain it in "non ethnocentric supremacist" ways but you don't seem to want to, instead like always, you just want to try to make it about me.

User avatar
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Posts: 8365
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:17 am
Christian: Yes
Location: Colorado
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 260 times

Re: Slavery in the Bible

#70

Post by B. W. » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:23 am

outlaw wrote:....Ok now your totally reading too much into it and totally misunderstanding me.

Im not trying to say Christians own slaves, or condone slavery or whatever, your getting carried away.

....That's why i ask if you agree that these rules are good for what was happening in those times?

Do you agree they would also be good today? if not why not?

Im giving you the opportunity to explain it in "non ethnocentric supremacist" ways but you don't seem to want to, instead like always, you just want to try to make it about me.

On one hand you say you are not trying to say Christians own slaves, or condone slavery or whatever, your getting carried away.

Then state this...

....That's why i ask if you agree that these rules are good for what was happening in those times? Do you agree they would also be good today? if not why not?

That is a logical contradiction as it indeed accuses Christians of condoning slavery. You are still ethnocentric supremacist in your views and therefore completely unable and incompetent to understand the bible in ancient historical context

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnocentrism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supremacism

...and because of this, you better believe it is all about you doing precisely what I stated previously:

Listen, it is up to you to prove that Christians own slaves today, hold slave auctions, and condone slavery, and then you will have a case. Other than that, you're just another modernist ethnocentric supremacist judging ancient culture, times, era by modern day standards all done with an ax to grind with pure vitriol spite.

Again...

It is human beings, who enslaved others, not God and you are trying hard to indite God of the crime of allowing free moral agency in human beings and then lecture us how noble you are toward your own children.

Do you put rules on them and do what is necessary to steer them to become better human beings guiding them through their short comings and flaws? Isn't that the goal of all good parents? ...and now you condemn God, as criminal, for what you yourself condone! :shakehead:

That is if you really are a decent parent...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys

User avatar
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Posts: 1952
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:38 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: United Kingdom
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Slavery in the Bible

#71

Post by Silvertusk » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:29 am

outlaw wrote:
B. W. wrote:
outlaw wrote:No matter how you want to explain it, making rules in regards to how slave owners are punished for treating their slaves is immoral as far as im concerned. The fact that rules were made is enough it doesn't matter whether it's if or when they die or what the punishment is it's irrelevant.

Allowing people to own other people as property is immoral as far as i'm concerned making rules around it doesn't change it.

None of you would accept these rules today as a good way to treat people so there's no reason to excuse them then.

They're terrible rules no matter for who for what for where and when they were made.

Stop telling me i don't understand, i understand perfectly fine, and i still think it's immoral. Do you understand that?
You are ethnocentric supremacist in your views and therefore completely unable and incompetent to understand the bible in ancient historical context.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnocentrism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supremacism

...and because of this, you better believe I have the right to call you whatever I like.

Listen, it is up to you to prove that Christians own slaves today, hold slave auctions, and condone slavery, and then you will have a case. Other than that, you're just another modernist ethnocentric supremacist judging ancient culture, times, era by modern day standards all done with an ax to grind with pure vitriol spite.

Again...

It is human beings, who enslaved others, not God and you are trying hard to indite God of the crime of allowing free moral agency in human beings and then lecture us how noble you are toward your own children. Do you put rules on them and do what is necessary to steer them to become better human beings guiding them through their short comings and flaws? Isn't that the goal of all good parents? ...and now you condemn God, as criminal, for what you yourself condone! :shakehead:

That is if you really are a decent parent...
-
-
-

Ok now your totally reading too much into it and totally misunderstanding me.
Im not trying to say Christians own slaves, or condone slavery or whatever, your getting carried away.
Yes i know humans enslaved others, but god, instead of making rules which would abolish slavery decides instead to let it go on, but make rules on how slave owners who beat their slaves should be punished.

He could of made rules to eradicate it but instead made rules to control it.
In my opinion that is immoral, you can disagree, that's fine.

Read up some history how some southern slave owners used the bible to justify what they were doing, now whether their understanding was correct or not it doesn't matter, to them their bible justified it, now if god would of made it absolutely clear that this practice was not accepted then these crackpots that used the bible couldn't say "well its fine in the bible"

That's why i ask if you agree that these rules are good for what was happening in those times?
Do you agree they would also be good today? if not why not?
Im giving you the opportunity to explain it in "non ethnocentric supremacist" ways but you don't seem to want to, instead like always, you just want to try to make it about me.
You just don't get it do you. What we have been trying to explain to you is that if God had abolished slavery back then it would have made things worse. The time was obviously not right to do so. So instead God gave rules to improve the situation of "slaves" and also gave a way for poverty stricken people to work off their debts and essentially not die from their circumstances. It was not a perfect situation and God did not want it. Therefore slaves were treated a hundred times better then their neighbouring counterparts. So what God did was moral.

Now read that book by Paul Copan if you are serious about this issue. We have given you our opinion.

User avatar
1over137
Technical Admin
Posts: 5197
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 6:05 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Slovakia
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 284 times

Re: Slavery in the Bible

#72

Post by 1over137 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:35 am

FYI: outlaw has been banned.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 9027
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 338 times

Re: Slavery in the Bible

#73

Post by PaulSacramento » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:36 am

People can use ANYTHING to justify ANYTHING.
People have used the bible to justify doing bad things, just as people have used atheistic ideology to justify doing bad things.
That is irrelevant.

If people don't understand the difference between a Law or a rule that accommodates man propensity to do bad KNOWING that the thing in question can NOT be abolished at the time, with CONDONING something bad then those people really need to take a look at the laws being passed in THEIR names by governments.

User avatar
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Posts: 8365
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:17 am
Christian: Yes
Location: Colorado
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 260 times

Re: Slavery in the Bible

#74

Post by B. W. » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:57 am

PaulSacramento wrote:People can use ANYTHING to justify ANYTHING.
People have used the bible to justify doing bad things, just as people have used atheistic ideology to justify doing bad things.
That is irrelevant.

If people don't understand the difference between a Law or a rule that accommodates man propensity to do bad KNOWING that the thing in question can NOT be abolished at the time, with CONDONING something bad then those people really need to take a look at the laws being passed in THEIR names by governments.
Here are a few funny examples...

-In Alabama, it's illegal to wear a funny fake mustache to church.

- If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter in Florida, the parking fee must be paid just as if a car had parked there.

-Hunters were once expressly forbidden from going after camels -- in the state of Arizona.

-it is mandatory for a motorist with criminal intentions driving around the state of Washington to stop at city limits and telephone the local chief of police before entering town.

-An Owensboro, Kentucky woman may not buy a hat without her husband's permission.

-In Waynesboro, Virginia, it was once illegal for a woman to drive a car up Main Street unless her husband walks in front of the car waving a red flag

:esurprised:

Add to this the current PC thought police out there and Houston, we have a problem. such as:

Islam is a peaceful religion because Terrorist cannot be not Muslim, rather they are just suffering from grievance deprivation... while Tea Party Grannies, conservatives, Christians and Veterans are terrorist

Murdering the unborn is justified population control and abstinence is a crime

Feeling offended is the new rule of thumb to justify theft of one's rights of moral decency... and Christian expression

Diversity is hailed as the cure for all ills while a house divided against itself shall not stand is a crime called American exceptionalism...

3 percent of the USA population can take away rights of citizens who disagree with their sexual practices while seeking absolute dominance through intimidation and Gestapo tactics with impunity
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys

User avatar
FlawedIntellect
Established Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 10:48 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 3 times
Contact:

Re: Slavery in the Bible

#75

Post by FlawedIntellect » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:31 am

outlaw wrote:No matter how you want to explain it, making rules in regards to how slave owners are punished for treating their slaves is immoral as far as im concerned. The fact that rules were made is enough it doesn't matter whether it's if or when they die or what the punishment is it's irrelevant.

Stop telling me i don't understand, i understand perfectly fine, and i still think it's immoral. Do you understand that?
Is it just me, or was Outlaw claiming that it's immoral to create rules that punish the act of seriously harming/mistreating another person?

Post Reply