Noahs Ark

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
WannaLearn
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Noahs Ark

Post by WannaLearn »

•There's no evidence of a global flood.
•There's no way all the species would fit on the ark.
•There's no way the plants would survive.
•There's no way the carnivores would be able to sustain their population if they and the herbivores were brought in as pairs (you need a much larger herbivore population to sustain the carnivores).
•There's no way the animals would have spread across the continents, particularly to the western hemisphere. They were separated by that point.

Ok some questions about Noah's ark. Unless you don't believe it was global Idk, tell me what you think about it and what your beliefs are.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Noahs Ark

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

WannaLearn wrote:•There's no evidence of a global flood.
•There's no way all the species would fit on the ark.
•There's no way the plants would survive.
•There's no way the carnivores would be able to sustain their population if they and the herbivores were brought in as pairs (you need a much larger herbivore population to sustain the carnivores).
•There's no way the animals would have spread across the continents, particularly to the western hemisphere. They were separated by that point.

Ok some questions about Noah's ark. Unless you don't believe it was global Idk, tell me what you think about it and what your beliefs are.

I believe it was local, check the main site for why they think the Bible says it's local.

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... flood.html
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
WannaLearn
Established Member

Post by WannaLearn »

I don't understand how he means if you think the floods global that you reject psalm 104. I don't see psalm saying it was global.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

What you guys need is an Erasable Bible. The Erasable Bible* is printed in erasable ink, allowing you to remove offending verses and write in your own revelations!

FL y*-:)

*Erasable Bibles are available in NIV, TNIV, NIrV, NRSV, AMP, NASB, and now in the KJV for KJV Onlyists! Available at your local Christian bookstore today!
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:What you guys need is an Erasable Bible. The Erasable Bible* is printed in erasable ink, allowing you to remove offending verses and write in your own revelations!

*Erasable Bibles are available in NIV, TNIV, NIrV, NRSV, AMP, NASB, and now in the KJV for KJV Onlyists! Available at your local Christian bookstore today!
:roll: what a load of poppycock
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

To be fair to the text, the Bible just does not say whether it was global or local only our English translations do, it says there was a flood and that's it.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:What you guys need is an Erasable Bible. The Erasable Bible* is printed in erasable ink, allowing you to remove offending verses and write in your own revelations!

Or,
We need an erasable map, which allows us to remove all offensive Canadians. :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Danieltwotwenty wrote:To be fair to the text, the Bible just does not say whether it was global or local only our English translations do, it says there was a flood and that's it.
Oh! I see you have your own erasable Bible already!

FL :D
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:To be fair to the text, the Bible just does not say whether it was global or local only our English translations do, it says there was a flood and that's it.
Oh! I see you have your own erasable Bible already!

If I had the time to learn and understand all the nuances of the languages Koine Greek, Aramaic and ancient Hebrew I would, but unfortunately I don't have that sort of time so I have to settle with second best which is someones English translation of the text. You may call it some miracle erasable Bible but I more consider it an arrow pointing towards something that requires much more thorough investigation. You can have your plain reading and plain understanding, I prefer to look deeper below the surface for a better understanding of what God is trying to say.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Danieltwotwenty wrote: You can have your plain reading and plain understanding, I prefer to look deeper below the surface for a better understanding of what God is trying to say.
You don't have to learn Aramaic, Greek & Hebrew to understand the Bible. Just get yourself various translations. A difficult passage can be cross-checked with another translation. As for ''plain reading and plain understanding'' it has the distinct advantage of preserving one from hocus-pocus interpretations. Common sense is always better than fanciful notions.

+ + +

+ + +
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

:shock:
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote: You can have your plain reading and plain understanding, I prefer to look deeper below the surface for a better understanding of what God is trying to say.
You don't have to learn Aramaic, Greek & Hebrew to understand the Bible. Just get yourself various translations. A difficult passage can be cross-checked with another translation. As for ''plain reading and plain understanding'' it has the distinct advantage of preserving one from hocus-pocus interpretations. Common sense is always better than fanciful notions.

There are three revelations that God has given too us 1. The Bible as written down by man who were inspired by their interactions with God 2. Jesus the incarnate word of God 3. The book of life, or the world we see around us.

All three of these revelations should match up as they are all from God, either our understanding of the Bible is incorrect or our understanding of nature is incorrect, either way it is a fault on our part. I believe that it is our understanding of what was written in the Bible is what is at fault so I am open to different interpretations. These are not "fanciful" notions, these are common sense understandings.

You can use words like "hocus-pocus" and "fanciful" but I could just say the same about your understanding, this in no way leads to any sort of intellectual discussion and is a complete waste of time.

If you actually have anything intelligent to say, I'm all ears.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Danieltwotwenty wrote:If you actually have anything intelligent to say, I'm all ears.
Wow! You're getting tough! Congratulations, I'm sometimes under the impression that Christians are wimps. We should stand up for sound doctrine and call a lie, a lie.

Actually, I don't care if the flood was worldwide or just local because it is in no way important. Ditto as to whether the word yom can mean ''era'' as well as its more common meaning of ''day''. Such subjects are best left for small talk while sipping drinks because we are probably all wrong. We'll find out the truth about such things when we get to heaven and by then it won't matter one bit. So why should it matter now?!

+ + +

+ + +
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:There are three revelations that God has given too us 1. The Bible as written down by man who were inspired by their interactions with God 2. Jesus the incarnate word of God 3. The book of life, or the world we see around us.

All three of these revelations should match up as they are all from God, either our understanding of the Bible is incorrect or our understanding of nature is incorrect, either way it is a fault on our part. I believe that it is our understanding of what was written in the Bible is what is at fault so I am open to different interpretations. These are not "fanciful" notions, these are common sense understandings.
We only know about the revelation given in Christ through Scripture, so (1) and (2) boil down to the same thing (except for your phrasing of (1) suggests that you don't really even believe in the full revelation of that one in the first place--sounds like you are setting it up for dismissal on the basis that people make mistakes, and if so, it's pretty clear where your error is). And if you are going to suggest that silliness about nature being the 67th book of the Bible, then I guess there's absolutely no point in having a conversation on these matters because, frankly, we have different authorities. Mine is Scripture, and yours is something else which you claim to be on par with Scripture. You feel free to accuse those of us who believe what the text actually says of foolishness. You wouldn't be the first . . . not the first in about six thousand years of recorded history. ;)
Last edited by Jac3510 on Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Why are you guys trying to get Daniel all riled up?

Daniel,

Just ignore them. They're big bullies!

And Jac,

Don't be silly! We all know the 67th book of the bible is Sirach.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony