Why wont God answer me?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
FallenFromGrace
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Why wont God answer me?

Post by FallenFromGrace »

I've been praying for about 2 months now that He reveals himself to me. A sign, a feeling, a vision.. anything.. I asked to talk in tongues, and be His messenger.. I asked for the holy spirit.. but it seems like it's going down hill.. I don't like this feeling of being separated from God. If He's real, why isn't he answering me? Am I praying the wrong way? I'm up front and honest to Him in my prayers, as much as I possibly can be.. Why isn't He answering? I thought once you gave your life over to Jesus that you had this amazing experience where your whole life changes and you feel different.. I don't feel much different.. I don't feel peaceful now.. I'm just afraid.. What do I do?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Why wont God answer me?

Post by PaulSacramento »

Why did you think that:
I thought once you gave your life over to Jesus that you had this amazing experience where your whole life changes and you feel different.
What kind of answer are you waiting on? and from who ?
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

PaulSacramento wrote:Why did you think that:
I thought once you gave your life over to Jesus that you had this amazing experience where your whole life changes and you feel different.
For some it is a massive sudden change - for others it is a gradual.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Silvertusk wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Why did you think that:
For some it is a massive sudden change - for others it is a gradual.
For me it was both gradual and massive.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

FallenFromGrace wrote:I've been praying for about 2 months now that He reveals himself to me. A sign, a feeling, a vision.. anything.. I asked to talk in tongues, and be His messenger.. I asked for the holy spirit.. but it seems like it's going down hill.. I don't like this feeling of being separated from God. If He's real, why isn't he answering me? Am I praying the wrong way? I'm up front and honest to Him in my prayers, as much as I possibly can be.. Why isn't He answering? I thought once you gave your life over to Jesus that you had this amazing experience where your whole life changes and you feel different.. I don't feel much different.. I don't feel peaceful now.. I'm just afraid.. What do I do?
I understand your fear. Before I became Christian I had first intellectual faith, with some doubts/fear back in my mind, THE real change came some months later. Well, I want to encouradge you not to lose your hope. Also reading the gospel, Jesus' own words would be great too. Do not be desperate, be hoping: Matthew 7:7-8
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
theophilus
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by theophilus »

FallenFromGrace wrote:I've been praying for about 2 months now that He reveals himself to me. A sign, a feeling, a vision.. anything.. I asked to talk in tongues, and be His messenger.. I asked for the holy spirit.. but it seems like it's going down hill.. I don't like this feeling of being separated from God. If He's real, why isn't he answering me? Am I praying the wrong way?
Perhaps he has answered and you don't see the answer because you are looking in the wrong place. God reveals himself through the Bible. How much time do you spend reading it? When you pray you are speaking to God; when you read the Bible God is speaking to you. You can learn more about God by listening to him than by talking to him.

Signs, feelings, and visions can come from Satan as well as from God. If you rely on them rather than the Bible you can be deceived. You need to study the Bible and trust what it says. If you receive signs and visions you should compare them with what the Bible says in order to find out where they come from.
I thought once you gave your life over to Jesus that you had this amazing experience where your whole life changes and you feel different.. I don't feel much different.. I don't feel peaceful now.. I'm just afraid.. What do I do?
First you should make sure you have given your life to Jesus. You must make a conscious decision to turn from you sins and put your faith in Christ. I know from experience that it is possible to try to live a Christian life without actually doing this. I got baptized and joined a church because I thought that was the way to be saved and I thought that I was on my way to Heaven. About a year and a half later I learned that I had skipped the step that would actually make me a Christian and it was then that I was really saved. It is possible that you are are making the same mistake I did. You can learn how to really be a Christian here:

http://carm.org/answers-for-seekers

When someone is saved he is born again spiritually and there is a tremendous change in his inward life but the change might not be immediately apparent outwardly. Some people experience a strong emotional reaction at the time of salvation and others don't. When I got saved I didn't feel any different but as time went on there were definite changes in the way I thought and acted that proved that my salvation was real.

I will pray that God will give you insight into your spiritual state so that you can know whether or not you are saved and that if you aren't you will understand how to be saved.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

FallenFromGrace wrote:I've been praying for about 2 months now that He reveals himself to me. A sign, a feeling, a vision.. anything.. I asked to talk in tongues, and be His messenger.. I asked for the holy spirit.. but it seems like it's going down hill.. I don't like this feeling of being separated from God. If He's real, why isn't he answering me? Am I praying the wrong way? I'm up front and honest to Him in my prayers, as much as I possibly can be.. Why isn't He answering? I thought once you gave your life over to Jesus that you had this amazing experience where your whole life changes and you feel different.. I don't feel much different.. I don't feel peaceful now.. I'm just afraid.. What do I do?
When you say reveal, you define that by, "A sign, a feeling, a vision.. anything." I would strongly advise you not to pursue that as a means of confidence.

So, before we go any further, would you answer a question for me. In your own words, explain what it means to trust Christ? Thanks.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
BritGuy
Acquainted Member

Post by BritGuy »

God knows your heart, you mentioned wanting various things, what he wants you to want, more than anything else, is a personal daily 2-way relationship with him.

When I got top that point I received on the 3rd attempt.

Some people say that receiving the Spirit with the new communication(tongues) is optional, this is wrong (John 3:8, Acts 2:4, 33, 39; Romans 8:8-9, 15-16), these people will make you less than whole-hearted in your prayer. Get in contact with people who are "on message", you are called ultimately to be in fellowship with them.
I'm with such a group.
Sam1995
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Sam1995 »

First of all, your name is contradictory ;) if you've given your life to Christ then it is totally impossible for you to fall from grace!

A large part of me wants to give you a proper response, but first I want to ask you two questions which I would love an honest answer to!

1. How often do you read and study the word of God?
2. Are you involved and planted in a local Church?
"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." - C.S Lewis