Can the future be changed, Scrooge asked?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Can the future be changed, Scrooge asked?

Post by ultimate777 »

In Dicken's "Christmas Carol", which I really, really like, near the end we have,

"Men's courses will foreshadow certain ends, to which, if persevered in, they must lead," said Scrooge. "But if the courses be departed from, the ends will change. Say it is thus with what you show me."

The Spirit was immovable as ever.

The Spirit may have been immovable but the rest of the book said in effect "if the courses be departed from, the ends will change."

You don't have to remind me that this is fiction, though :ewink:

In real life can the future be changed?

Might you want to say Scrooge was talking about something else altogether?

What?
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Can the future be changed, Scrooge asked?

Post by Jac3510 »

In order for something to change, it must first exist, because if something doesn't exist, then there is no "it" to change. Since the future doesn't exist yet (on either A-Theory of time on the one hand or an Aristotelian view of time on the other), there is no "it" to be changed.

If you adopt a B-Theory of time, you can argue that the future "already" exists (whatever that means), but then it's still hard to see how the future could be "changed," since it is we who have "already" determined our own futures (assuming the existence of free will, which your whole question presumes. If we reject that, then the entire question is moot, anyway). If we "change" our paths, then on B-Theory, we the future (already existing) is already such that our paths have "changed."

The only way I see to suggest that the future can be changed is if you are speaking metaphorically about what the future "is." If I meet a person about to drop out of high school and hanging out with the wrong crowd, it's not hard to tell him what his future will be. I can tell him he can "change" that future if he stays in school and hooks up with better people. But, again, I'm only "changing" the future in a metaphorical sense--all I'm really saying is that he can change his present behavior which will ultimately means his future situation will be different than in will be if he stays on the present course. So here, I'm really more making predictions based on how I know life works than I am talking about the future itself in any real way.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Jac, and if I am following line and, say, 10m from me when following line is a house, is future of hitting the house metaphorical? I can change it by stopping and turning from the house.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I would say that the phrase "changing the future" is being used in some metaphorical, derived way, if you say that you "change the future" by changing directions 10m from the house. The human mind is so constructed that we are able to figure out the consequences of our actions. I can say that I am changing "what will be," but all I really mean by that is that if I continue in one way, I can reasonably foresee X happening (I'll hit the house), but if I change my present state and go in another way, then I can reasonably foresee Y happening (I won't hit the house). I've literally changed my present; I've only figuratively changed my future. What I've literally done to the future is actualize a different reality. See, I have two potential realities to me (in my present state): I can hit the house or not. My actions will determine which of those realities is actualized. If I want one reality actualized, I continue to do this; if I want the other reality actualized, I cease to do this and do that instead.

Again, I can't say I changed the future, since it was never there to change. I can say that I actualized a different set of possibilities. When speaking loosely, we can say we "changed" the future, but that is only speaking loosely. Strictly, the future never changed. I was just wise enough to change my present state of affairs (since the present can be changed) so that a particular set of possibilities did not become reality (after all, I don't want to run into the house, now do I???).

By the way, I think that is the same reason we can't change the past. We can say all we want that we can't change the past "because it's the past," but that doesn't help us at all. What is it about the past that makes it unchangeable? Put simply, it doesn't exist anymore, and you can't change what doesn't exist!

All we can change is the present. God has so gifted us that we can be aware of what our future will most likely look like given our present conditions, courses of action, etc. But we don't change the future. We don't change the past. We change our present in light of what we want out of the future.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Again, I can't say I changed the future, since it was never there to change. I can say that I actualized a different set of possibilities.
Thanks. :)
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Can God change the future?

If God is outside of time does the future exist to him now?

Since God is outside of time, can he change the future while we are still in the past?

y:-/ y:-/
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

The future does not exist, so it can't be changed, Dan you presume that God knows the future, which I think means the future is set, in concrete, since God's knowledge can not be false or else he does not knows it anymore than we do. But if the future is set then everything is predetermined. Including whatever future may change. For example, it is in your future that you die tomorrow, for reasons unknown you come to know this upcoming, concrete reality therefore you ask God to not let you die in which case the future is changed and you didn't die. Only after you realize that your prayer was infact predetermined in your future before you ever made it and therefore you would have never died, since THE FUTURE IS CONCRETE TO BEGIN WITH NO MATTER WHAT WE DO. See the problem? By this model, even if you change the future, you haven't changed it at all because your effort to change was already part of the future and the consequences altogther.

As far as I see, God does not see the future beyond our present choices. Because I think if he knows the future then the future is already set and there is nothing I can do to deviate it. I think there is no future. What we do today makes the future happen. Though God can certainly act in the present in a way to produce an outcome in the future. That does not mean that the future already exists in reality and is just waiting to come to pass.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

neo-x wrote:The future does not exist, so it can't be changed, Dan you presume that God knows the future, which I think means the future is set, in concrete, since God's knowledge can not be false or else he does not knows it anymore than we do. But if the future is set then everything is predetermined. Including whatever future may change. For example, it is in your future that you die tomorrow, for reasons unknown you come to know this upcoming, concrete reality therefore you ask God to not let you die in which case the future is changed and you didn't die. Only after you realize that your prayer was infact predetermined in your future before you ever made it and therefore you would have never died, since THE FUTURE IS CONCRETE TO BEGIN WITH NO MATTER WHAT WE DO. See the problem? By this model, even if you change the future, you haven't changed it at all because your effort to change was already part of the future and the consequences altogther.

As far as I see, God does not see the future beyond our present choices. Because I think if he knows the future then the future is already set and there is nothing I can do to deviate it. I think there is no future. What we do today makes the future happen. Though God can certainly act in the present in a way to produce an outcome in the future. That does not mean that the future already exists in reality and is just waiting to come to pass.
That is a very open theistic approach Neo.

Have you looked into Molinism by any chance? God knowing what any one person will freely do given the situation that person finds himself and therefore predicting the outcome with 100% certainty is not in anyway infringing on a the persons freewill.

So yes God sees all possible futures so nothing is a surprise to him. There are three tiers of knowledge in molinism. 1 - God knows all possible truths and worlds, 2 - Middle knowledge - God knows what all creation will do given certain situations and worlds, 3 - God sets the world in motion.

But it is still our free choice when the situation arises. God just knows what we will choose.
PeteSinCA
Valued Member

Post by PeteSinCA »

Don't wish to detract from the discussion above, but Scrooge's questioning was less simple than, "Can the future be changed?" From the relevant part of A Christmas Carol:
"Before I draw nearer to that stone to which you point," said Scrooge, "answer me one question. Are these the shadows of the things that Will be, or are they shadows of things that May be, only?"

Still the Ghost pointed downward to the grave by which it stood.

"Men's courses will foreshadow certain ends, to which, if persevered in, they must lead," said Scrooge. "But if the courses be departed from, the ends will change. Say it is thus with what you show me!"
"Spirit!" he cried, tight clutching at its robe, "hear me! I am not the man I was. I will not be the man I must have been but for this intercourse. Why show me this, if I am past all hope?"

For the first time the hand appeared to shake.

"Good Spirit," he pursued, as down upon the ground he fell before it: "Your nature intercedes for me, and pities me. Assure me that I yet may change these shadows you have shown me, by an altered life!"

The kind hand trembled.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future. The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. I will not shut out the lessons that they teach. Oh, tell me I may sponge away the writing on this stone!"
Soapy Pete's Box

So I'll stand // With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One Who gave it all - The Stand, Hillsong United

"To a world that was lost, He gave all He could give.
To show us the reason to live."
"We Are the Reason" by David Meece

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
'Cause I've got a Mansion Builder
Who ain't through with me yet" - 2nd Chapter of Acts
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

That is very much of an open theism styled response, Neo. We have to affirm that God knows the future exhaustively. It does not follow from that, however, that there is no free will. Put simply, God knowing what we will choose does not negate that we actually choose it. With that said, the real question is how God knows the future, because there are ways to present His omniscience that does negate free will. That's actually the trouble with Molinism as Molina himself taught it. He had God knowing what we would do with mathematical certainty based on what we are. In other words, Molina taught that God knows us so well that He can perfectly predict what we will do in any given situation with absolute knowledge, and that because God and God alone knows all possible variables. The implication in all of that is, of course, that if we just had the computing power to take all variables into account, then we, too, could make such perfect predictions, which really means that there is no such thing as free will after all. In short, one of the big arguments against Molinism is that it does NOT preserve free will.

That's just one of many reasons I'm not a Molinist, but let that pass. My point to you is that we can't say that God doesn't know the future with absolute certainty. We just have to be careful about the mechanism by which we say that God knows everything.

As to Dan's questions:
Can God change the future?
Again, the future does not exist, and that which does not exist cannot be changed. The question is just nonsensical
If God is outside of time does the future exist to him now?
This question doesn't really make sense either. If God is "outside of time" (I can accept that terminology, by the way), then what sense does it make to ask if "the future" (what would that be) "exists" (again, that implies that the future really exists, which means you have to assume a B-Theory of time), "now" . . . it's that last word that is the most problematic. What would it mean for the future to exist now? "Now" means "in the present." You are asking if the future exists in the present. But that doesn't make sense, because something exists in the present, then it is not future . . . it is present! Beyond that, if God is outside of time, then how can we apply to Him ANY temporal indicators? How can we say that anything is "now" for God anymore than we can say anything was "yesterday" or "will be tomorrow" for Him? To be outside of time is just that -- to be OUTSIDE of it. No temporal indicators of ANY kind can be applied to Him.

So, bottom line, no, if God is outside of time, future does not exist to Him now.
Since God is outside of time, can he change the future while we are still in the past?
What does that mean, while we are in the past. "Are" is a present tense verb. You are asking if God can change the future (which doesn't exist) while we presently exist in the past!

I think there is a very subtle (though understandable) error in your thinking. You seem to be imagining time to be this really existent thing that, like space, stuff fits "into." That's the common view of time, but I think it's wrong. It's why both A-Theory and B-Theory are wrong, by the way. All time is, is a measurement of change. If there is absolutely NO CHANGE of ANY KIND, then there would be no time. Time really is relative! More than that, all change is, is something that was once potentially real becoming actually real. Right now, the sun is oriented in a certain way to the earth, and that orientation is represented by the numbers "12:29AM" on this thing I call a clock. The sun has the potential to be oriented in another way toward the earth, and that orientation might be represented by the numbers "12:30AM" on my clock. When the sun is not longer potentially so oriented but actually so oriented, we say that a change has taken place. And since change takes place, we say time has passed. So, again, no change, no time.

For God, there is no change. God is not the kind of being that can be one thing now and potentially be another thing later. God just is what He is--that's what Christians have traditionally meant when they say He is immutable. So if God can't change, then time doesn't apply to God. We can't even say that God did this in the past and will do this tomorrow, because that would constitute a change in Him (He is not yet doing something, but He potentially will be doing it tomorrow).

We change, not God. We can't say that God, from His own perspective, caused some changes yesterday and is causing some changes not and will cause some changes tomorrow. God just is exactly what God is, no more and no less. The whole idea behind the terms "yesterday, today, and tomorrow" are intrinsically and necessarily temporal. We can say that God did something yesterday from a human perspective, but we can't then turn around and say, "But from God's perspective, He is still doing it right now," because "right now" is a temporal term, and temporal terms don't apply to God!

Anyway, I could say a lot more, but I think I should stop here. I hope this helps a bit . . . if not, just ignore all of it. I know this can all get rather confusing (at least, to me it does!). ;)
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Actually, that is the same objection I have against molinism, that given enough variables to calculate one can ultimately become omniscient.

As to your point Jac, I have tried to see (in the past) if the choice we have and God knowing the choice we would choose, really collide contrary to as you say? I think they still do.
How can God know something that does not exist yet? Knowledge is only relative between things that are or can be, existence and potential. But the potential will really come to pass depends upon factors that are also contingent outside of God, human free will (limited even it may be) or else it gets predetermined.
Put simply, God knowing what we will choose does not negate that we actually choose it.
Since God knows what we will choose, the future is set. Where the property of knowledge does arise? In god or in us? If it exists in God, it exists prior to us and is equal to the existence of God if put on a time scale. So in a crude way, the moment God exists, the knowledge that we will choose “X” also exists, in a concrete way (or else it’s just a good guess). But we do not exist, actually yet, nor our wills. Or the ability to change that will. Since if not free will then God determines everything.

If God knows our will, then our will is a part of his being and existence, since the choice is made prior to our creation because the future does not exist yet for us to make that choice. Then if I did not make a choice and the future does not exist yet then, who makes the choice that God acknowledges, that I would have apparently made? That really bothers me.
Choice is only an illusion in this way. If you know that your son will choose a red shirt, even if you present him with 7 different colors. You know that on instinct and could be wrong. But if you know as an omniscient being that your son WILL choose the red shirt, then you know that by knowing the future. If you know it by knowing the future then by seeing the future you made it concrete, since you must know that your son will choose the red shirt before he chooses it in time. So if you saw the future, and your knowledge can’t be wrong in anyway. Your son’s future now is concrete. He cannot have a last minute change of heart. Because if he does then your knowledge is wrong. Since your knowledge can’t be wrong then his future can’t be changed since you know of his actions prior to his existence.
This is the problem I have with God knowing our choice, does not negate our choice. If God knows our choice then I can’t change my choice, the very act of knowing made my choice the ONLY one, the rest is only an illusion to me.

The only way it makes sense to me is that God does not see past my choices. That serves the purpose of free will and a conscience creature.
How do you think God knows the future, without making it concrete? To me, the act of foreseeing, cements the very act in future time which can’t change.
Last edited by neo-x on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Silvertusk wrote:
neo-x wrote:The future does not exist, so it can't be changed, Dan you presume that God knows the future, which I think means the future is set, in concrete, since God's knowledge can not be false or else he does not knows it anymore than we do. But if the future is set then everything is predetermined. Including whatever future may change. For example, it is in your future that you die tomorrow, for reasons unknown you come to know this upcoming, concrete reality therefore you ask God to not let you die in which case the future is changed and you didn't die. Only after you realize that your prayer was infact predetermined in your future before you ever made it and therefore you would have never died, since THE FUTURE IS CONCRETE TO BEGIN WITH NO MATTER WHAT WE DO. See the problem? By this model, even if you change the future, you haven't changed it at all because your effort to change was already part of the future and the consequences altogther.

That is a very open theistic approach Neo.

Have you looked into Molinism by any chance? God knowing what any one person will freely do given the situation that person finds himself and therefore predicting the outcome with 100% certainty is not in anyway infringing on a the persons freewill.

So yes God sees all possible futures so nothing is a surprise to him. There are three tiers of knowledge in molinism. 1 - God knows all possible truths and worlds, 2 - Middle knowledge - God knows what all creation will do given certain situations and worlds, 3 - God sets the world in motion.

But it is still our free choice when the situation arises. God just knows what we will choose.
Hi silver, please refer to my post above to Jac, I think I have written my points, if you wish to address them, I'd be glad to respond.

without.

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Thanks Jac, I think my mind just exploded.
I think there are just some things that I will not be able to comprehend in this lifetime, maybe in the next I will have a more complete picture.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

neo-x wrote:Actually, that is the same objection I have against molinism, that given enough variables to calculate one can ultimately become omniscient.
Yup. But I also have to say that I'm told by some people who have studied the issue more than me that there are other versions of Molinism that don't have this problem. I don't know what they are, as I've not looked into them in any detail (yet). "Molinism" is something of a nebulous term, anyway. But I digress. Just saying that I don't think it's all it's being argued it's cracked up to be.
As to your point Jac, I have tried to see (in the past) if the choice we have and God knowing the choice we would choose, really collide contrary to as you say? I think they still do.
How can God know something that does not exist yet? Knowledge is only relative between things that are or can be, existence and potential. But the potential will really come to pass depends upon factors that are also contingent outside of God, human free will (limited even it may be) or else it gets predetermined.
Look at the words I just put in bold. Whether you mean it or not, you are applying temporality to God. To say that God knows something that does not exist yet is to say that God somehow knows things that are future to Him. But nothing is future to God (if we take classical theism seriously, anyway). For those here who believe--wrongly, I think--that God is temporal, I think you have a good and important question. But for those of us who believe what theists of all stripes, and by that I specifically mean Christians, Muslims, and Jews, have been saying about God for at least eighteen hundred years, then your objection just doesn't apply.

The key to your problem lies in your second question. Don't make the mistake of equating potential existence with possible existence. Possible existence is just a theoretical construct. Potential existence has a deeper meaning associated with it (for classical theists). Potential existence is real existence. It goes back to the Greek word dunamis, which means "capacity" or "power." You, right now, as we speak, have the capacity to laugh. You probably aren't laughing now, but you have that capacity. It's a real thing that you have. That you are not laughing does not mean the potential is only a possibility. Part of what it means to be human is to really be able to laugh, and sometimes, you actualize that potential by really laughing!

Just so with potential existence. You, as a human, have the potential to exist in myriads of ways (you could be laughing, for instance). What gets actualized depends on many factors, one of which is certainly your own free will. The point is that God knows ALL existence absolutely, and He knows it for what it is. He knows potential existence as potential and He knows actual existence as actual. He knows free choices as free choices and determined events as determined events. More below.
Since God knows what we will choose, the future is set. Where the property of knowledge does arise? In god or in us? If it exists in God, it exists prior to us and is equal to the existence of God if put on a time scale. So in a crude way, the moment God exists, the knowledge that we will choose “X” also exists, in a concrete way (or else it’s just a good guess). But we do not exist, actually yet, nor our wills. Or the ability to change that will. Since if not free will then God determines everything.

If God knows our will, then our will is a part of his being and existence, since the choice is made prior to our creation because the future does not exist yet for us to make that choice. Then if I did not make a choice and the future does not exist yet then, who makes the choice that God acknowledges, that I would have apparently made? That really bothers me.
Choice is only an illusion in this way. If you know that your son will choose a red shirt, even if you present him with 7 different colors. You know that on instinct and could be wrong. But if you know as an omniscient being that your son WILL choose the red shirt, then you know that by knowing the future. If you know it by knowing the future then by seeing the future you made it concrete, since you must know that your son will choose the red shirt before he chooses it in time. So if you saw the future, and your knowledge can’t be wrong in anyway. Your son’s future now is concrete. He cannot have a last minute change of heart. Because if he does then your knowledge is wrong. Since your knowledge can’t be wrong then his future can’t be changed since you know of his actions prior to his existence.
This is the problem I have with God knowing our choice, does not negate our choice. If God knows our choice then I can’t change my choice, the very act of knowing made my choice the ONLY one, the rest is only an illusion to me.

The only way it makes sense to me is that God does not see past my choices. That serves the purpose of free will and a conscience creature.
How do you think God knows the future, without making it concrete? To me, the act of foreseeing, cements the very act in future time which can’t change.
Knowledge exists in God in an analogous sense to a way it exists in us. We cannot say that God knows the same way we do. God doesn't look down the infinite corridors of time, see what we will choose, know it, and therefore have this existence within Himself that we call knowledge about what we will do. That are LOTS of reasons we can't and shouldn't adopt that view. One of the most important is that, in God, knowledge is not a thing that He goes and "checks"--as if there is God and then there is what He knows (within Himself). That's obviously not the case with you and me. There is Jack, and then there is in Jack what Jack knows, and Jack and Jack's knowledge are not identical with one another. But that's not the case in God. Strictly, what God knows is Himself, and God's knowledge of Himself is Himself. And since what God is is pure, unlimited existence itself, then He immediately knows all ways that being can be. Being this way is a horse. Being that way is a dog. Being this other way is Jack talking to Neo. Being still this other way is Jack potentially laughing. And being that other way is Neo actually laughing.

Keep in mind, all we are is being in some particular way. You have never encountered pure being. Everything you have ever experienced is being, just being this way or that way. To the extent that we exist, then, we are like God, but we are not God, because God is pure, unlimited (which is to say, undefined) being; whereas we are limited, defined beings.

So, again, when God knows Himself, He immediately knows every way in which being can be, both potential and actual. Moreover, since He is the cause of everything that is--that is, nothing can be without Him being its Prime Mover--then there is nothing that is that He has not made to be. That is not to say He determines everything, for He moves everything according to its own nature.

The bottom line is that when you take God's eternality seriously (that is, His atemporality) and thereby remove all temporal indicators from God's essence, when you see that God's knowledge is identical with Himself, and when you see that what God is is pure being, then all of that shows that when God knows in what ways I am actual and what ways I am potential, and that by my own choices, then there is no conflict between God's knowledge of our future (it isn't His, after all) and our ability to freely actualize our own potentialities.

I know this doesn't answer everything, and there's quite a bit of detail I'm leaving out. But I don't want to go too far. Your thought so far?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

The future is a series of possibilities, some more likely than others.
If Ebeneezer continued on his way, the future He saw was the most likely to happen.
That he COULD change that possible future is what it was about.
IMO, God knows all our possible futures ( it doesn't take much really) and that is the closest to "omniscience" there is taking into account choice (free will).
EX:
You jay walk everyday across a bust street, there is a pretty good chance that your future is you being hit by a car.
Many parts of a person future can be "predicted" since we tend to be creatures of habit.

Can we change our future? Of course.
Even more so when we are motivated by the knowledge of what it COULD be.