The Unforgivable Sin

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Eureka
Recognized Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

The Unforgivable Sin

Post by Eureka »

Hello Everyone,

I was looking through some of the older threads on "Atheists and Youtube" and some other discussions on blasphemy, and I have a question about the atheists who participated in the "blasphemy challenge" on youtube.

If you're not familiar with this stunt, a few years ago the Rational Response Squad offered free DVDs to the first 1001 people who would willingly record themselves "denying the Holy Spirit" and post the video on youtube. The idea was to promote atheists to publicly "send themselves to hell" by committing blasphemy, the only sin which is described as unforgivable in the Bible (Mark 3:29: Whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin).

I know that nobody on here knows exactly how God judges those who come before him, but is it fair to say that the people who posted these videos are eternally damned? Somehow I have a lot of trouble with the idea that if any of these people come to Christ later in life that they are no longer eligible for salvation. I'd appreciate any insight from those who are more familiar with exactly what Scripture says about blasphemy. Is it so black-and-white that anyone who committed this sin in the past may as well throw in the towel?

Thanks,

E
"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: The Unforgivable Sin

Post by neo-x »

No, they are not damned.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Eureka
Recognized Member

Post by Eureka »

Then how do you interpret the biblical description of this sin as "unforgivable"?
hughfarey
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by hughfarey »

I think it's a question of semantics.
a) Somebody publicly announcing a blasphemy on Youtube for material reward may be guilty of greed rather than blasphemy. A sin is what happens in your soul not in your lips.
b) Blasphemy may be regarded as the rejection of the possibility of forgiveness, so if forgiveness is a process both of giving and receiving, then by definition it would be unforgivable.
c) Such a sin must, I think, be permanent. If someone repents of his blasphemy, then he is no longer in a "state of blasphemy" and his sin becomes forgivable again.
I can think of quite good objections to all of the above, but I'm guessing thinking along those lines will produce the solution to the dilemma.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

The unforgivable sin is to be completely unrepentant even unto death.

They are not damned to hell by God, they choose to go there because their hearts are so hard that they will never repent and cannot stand to be in God's presence.

The idea of God is repulsive to them, the idea of asking for forgiveness is repulsive.

So yes, someone who has said "I reject God" can later be redeemed because it is a heart condition not a single act of rebellion.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Eureka wrote:Then how do you interpret the biblical description of this sin as "unforgivable"?
i view it in the context that the person has to know who he is blaspheming against, a person who does not know the HS, can't really know whats the true consequence of his actions. I have always felt that this applies to people who have the knowledge of God, namely believers. After all those who are not born again are already out of Christ's atonement, its not like another sin is going to change that.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Eureka
Recognized Member

Post by Eureka »

Interesting...thank you all! It seems from your responses that "denying the Holy Spirit" refers to the lifelong rejection of Christ rather than a sin that can be committed on a single occasion. I'm surprised that my understanding of blasphemy was so distorted, but obviously your responses are more consistent with the idea that an atheist (whether public about it or not) can come to Christ after refusing Him for years. Seems really obvious in hindsight :oops: but thank you for your answers!!!
ClassicalTeacher
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by ClassicalTeacher »

There are many former atheists who have come to Christ for a variety of reasons. I doubt very much that if one sincerely repents of his/her sin of atheism that God will reject that person. As others have noted, I think it means those who die in their sin unrepentant...wallowing in the sin of pride.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Such a sin must, I think, be permanent.
Zap!
Bingo!

But there is ANOTHER sin I consider rather unforgivable: It's the day after your birthday, for which your wife made the most incredibly delicious chocolate layer cake, that you had several slices of that same evening. Next day, during work, about all you can think about was how awesome that amazing cake was - it might have been the best cake you ever tasted. No, you're SURE it was the best cake EVER! You come home in enormous anticipation of kicking back and eating another large slice of it, along with a big glass of milk - yeah, that's the ticket. But you open the cake container AND YOU REALIZE THAT YOUR KIDS FINISHED IT ALL OFF, leaving nothing but sweet crumbs! :esurprised: :shock: :esurprised: :shock: :esurprised: :shock: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :shakehead: :crying: :shakehead: :crying: :shakehead: :crying: !!! Now, I'm telling ya, THAT will test your ability to forgive - and, at least for a moment, make you wonder why you ever had kids. But, alas, this sin is not found in Scripture.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

To blasphemy the HS one must KNOW the HS and, certainly, atheists do NOT.
Eureka
Recognized Member

Post by Eureka »

But there is ANOTHER sin I consider rather unforgivable: It's the day after your birthday, for which your wife made the most incredibly delicious chocolate layer cake, that you had several slices of that same evening. Next day, during work, about all you can think about was how awesome that amazing cake was - it might have been the best cake you ever tasted. No, you're SURE it was the best cake EVER! You come home in enormous anticipation of kicking back and eating another large slice of it, along with a big glass of milk - yeah, that's the ticket. But you open the cake container AND YOU REALIZE THAT YOUR KIDS FINISHED IT ALL OFF, leaving nothing but sweet crumbs!               !!! Now, I'm telling ya, THAT will test your ability to forgive - and, at least for a moment, make you wonder why you ever had kids. But, alas, this sin is not found in Scripture.
Why is it that the "What to Expect" series for pregnant women COMPLETELY ignores important considerations like this one??!!

Thanks for making me crave chocolate cake ;)

Edit: fixed an accidental double negative for clarity
Last edited by Eureka on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:
Such a sin must, I think, be permanent.
Zap!
Bingo!

But there is ANOTHER sin I consider rather unforgivable: It's the day after your birthday, for which your wife made the most incredibly delicious chocolate layer cake, that you had several slices of that same evening. Next day, during work, about all you can think about was how awesome that amazing cake was - it might have been the best cake you ever tasted. No, you're SURE it was the best cake EVER! You come home in enormous anticipation of kicking back and eating another large slice of it, along with a big glass of milk - yeah, that's the ticket. But you open the cake container AND YOU REALIZE THAT YOUR KIDS FINISHED IT ALL OFF, leaving nothing but sweet crumbs! :esurprised: :shock: :esurprised: :shock: :esurprised: :shock: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :shakehead: :crying: :shakehead: :crying: :shakehead: :crying: !!! Now, I'm telling ya, THAT will test your ability to forgive - and, at least for a moment, make you wonder why you ever had kids. But, alas, this sin is not found in Scripture.
Happy Birthday Philip! Sorry about the cake. :(
My family knows better than to mess with my chocolate! My wife says I'm like a woman when it comes to my chocolate! :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

My family knows better than to mess with my chocolate! My wife says I'm like a woman when it comes to my chocolate!
Yes, Rick, at least when it comes to chocolate - especially really good dark chocolate or really great choc cake, no crack addict has a jones like mine! :lol:
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

At our house, the unforgivable sin is leaving the toilet seat up.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jlay wrote:At our house, the unforgivable sin is leaving the toilet seat up.
I once left the toilet seat up at my sister's house when my niece was a young child. I guess they NEVER left the seat up, because my niece sat down and fell in. I couldn't stop laughing. I really thought everyone knew to put the seat down before sitting. :lol:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony