does god deserve to be worshiped

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
MAGSolo
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male

Re: does god deserve to be worshiped

Post by MAGSolo »

1over137 wrote: Well, I want to ask you Magsolo, why He should prevent widespread evil and suffering (on this Earth)?
Feel free to send me private message.
Because widespread evil and suffering are bad and God is supposed to be good
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Stop making a fool of yourself, MAGSolo.

FL y~o)
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
MAGSolo
Valued Member

Post by MAGSolo »

How am I making a fool of myself?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

I sent you a private message.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

MAGSolo, you will be free to return to the board and this conversation in 24 hours time.

We have a board purpose and discussion guidelines for a reason. Please don't presume to assume that you can manipulate people by their better nature to think that it's raining while you pee on their shoes. I'm very happy to have a discussion with you or anyone else that is willing to show personal respect and engage in a such a discussion with the ability to listen as well as speak.

I hope 24 hours will be enough for you to consider this before re-engaging. If not, then the discussion in this forum will be at a close.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

MAGSolo wrote:
1over137 wrote: Well, I want to ask you Magsolo, why He should prevent widespread evil and suffering (on this Earth)?
Do you think God is happy about widespread evil? I do not think so. God is good, yes, but also just.

Well, I went through some very tough sufferings in my life and I do not hate God for it. Thanks to it I grew.

Evil is due to sin. Evil is absence of God. We do not want God therefore we have evil.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Sam1995
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Sam1995 »

Speaking on behalf of Christianity alone, whether or not God is worthy to be worshipped is purely down to your perspective on who God is.
I believe God is a God of love, compassion, grace and justice who loved the world and it's center-piece (mankind) so much that He sent His begotten son to provide salvation for people like you and me. I believe in a God who heals the brokenhearted, lavishes grace upon those who choose to receive it and who has a plan and purpose for the lives of every human being on the planet. Furthermore I believe in a God who can take the most torn apart, broken life and completely transform and renew it into a beautiful new creation as I have seen Him do many times, including my own life.

If that doesn't make God worthy of worship, I don't know what does.

SB
"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." - C.S Lewis
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by bippy123 »

It is my honor and privilege to worship God who is my lord and savior, the God of love and the God of justice who came down from his throne in heaven to live as the poorest of men, to be ridiculed, spat on, beaten and crucified. He did all this because he loves us so much and wants more than anything to have a personal relationship with all of us. There is nothing more that I could ever want then to see him face to face in heaven, to give him a hug spend all of eternity with him with my family friends and all of humanity. To me there is nothing that makes more sense. Nothing even comes close, because in the end he isn't just the God of love, he is LOVE itself.

And God doesn't create evil. He created us with the free will choice to follow the laws he has engraved into our hearts or turn away from them. Without the gift of free will we wouldn't be able to love.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

MagSolo, here is something for you http://m.ccel.org/ccel/aquinas/summa.toc.html

Just search for the word 'evil' and read whatever is of interest to you. You can find there many answers.

Enjoy!

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

MAGSolo wrote:
Define and account for 'good' and 'evil' and provide a context for them that isn't dependent of human bias. Then we can talk.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

jlay wrote:
MAGSolo wrote:
Define and account for 'good' and 'evil' and provide a context for them that isn't dependent of human bias. Then we can talk.
Seriously J, how many times are we supposed to do this, with the same person no less? After a while it gets to be simply sickening to discuss the same subject over and over and over again. :shakehead:

At some point we just need to leave them to their own demons.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

One more thing MagSolo. Tell me, why God 'bothered' to send His Son to earth?

#foreverinmyheart
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Drop kick him through the goal posts. I've confronted Mag numerous times and challenged his sincerity. I love a healthy discussion, but I agree.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Something to admire.

Following Jesus words are slightly before his crucifixion:

John 14:1-3
"14 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God[a]; believe also in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am."

Following is from one book:
"No chiding and resentment here, no self-pity or self-absorption - only concern for his friends and a decidedly tender longing to be with them." (Lundgaard - Through the Looking Glass)

#foreverinmyheart
MAGSolo
Valued Member

Post by MAGSolo »

1over137 wrote:
MAGSolo wrote:
Do you think God is happy about widespread evil? I do not think so. God is good, yes, but also just.

Well, I went through some very tough sufferings in my life and I do not hate God for it. Thanks to it I grew.

Evil is due to sin. Evil is absence of God. We do not want God therefore we have evil.
Providing God even exists, I dont think hes happy about widespread evil, but I do think he is indifferent about it.