Jonah

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Mariolee
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes

Jonah

Post by Mariolee »

How IS it physically possible for him to be swallowed by a giant fish? Any articles?
How do some people mess up a message about "love" and "forgiveness" so much?!
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Jonah

Post by B. W. »

Mariolee wrote:How IS it physically possible for him to be swallowed by a giant fish? Any articles?
Jeremy Wade's - Monster Fish TV show on Animal Planet... has a bit on this...

There are sharks that have swallowed people too...

So it is possible for Jonah to be swallowed and kept alive for 72 hours inside a big fish only by God's grace and survive the ordeal.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

People have gotten eaten by big fishes before. But I wonder about "physically possible." Is the problem you have with how someone would survive that? That seems to be the most common assumption, but why make it? There's nothing keeping God from bring Jonah back to life, is there? And in his prayer, he does mention Sheol. So maybe he didn't survive the ordeal. Maybe God did a greater miracle than we realize.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male

Post by neo-x »

Some of the arteries of the blue whale are so big that an average size man can swim through them and some of its cavities are so big that a man can sit or lay down without hurting the whale from the inside. Not saying it was a whale, whale is not a fish though I doubt the Hebrew writers could have made that distinction. Anyway, just saying that a big fish may have been able to hold him and then release him to. The point is, it is plausible.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com