ultimate777 wrote:Can God absolutely decide what is good and what is evil?
If not why not?
If so, does He ever change things like that to suit his purposes? Then does He change them right back afterwards?
There were laws the King of Persia could not change in the Book of Esther IIRC. But the KIng changed one anyhow.
When we consider WHY good is good and evil is evil....we are making reference to an OBJECTIVE standard that goes beyond our feelings, opinion, and desires. We make appeal to ULTIMATE standards of right from wrong otherwise, we are only resorting to the subjection opinions of man ..and if we dont make appeal to Objective Moral Laws then there is essentially no objective difference between what a Mother Theresa did and what Hitler did unless we can objectively define WHY some action is good and WHY some action is evil.
This STANDARD for determining this , is none other than the very character, person, and nature of God himself. WHen we determine what is the TRUTH behind deciding whether something is good or evil , we apply Websters definition of Truth which is :'Fidelity toward the original' . In other words, we see how it stacks up to THE ORIGINAL...the Original being : GOD himself. So, lets take some examples ---
1. We know that Lying is always wrong because there is no fidelity to the orginal : God is Truth and cannot lie .
2. We know that Adultery is always wrong because there is no fidelity to the original : God is purity and wants us to live out sexually pure lives.
3. We know that Murder is always wrong because ........: God is love and made us to be loving toward one another never taking innocent life. And because God created human life to be his highest act of love .
4. We know that Cheating is always wrong because.............. : God is moral and just and never operates with deception.
5. We know that incest is always wrong because............ : God doesnt represent sexual perversion in any form ; he made Parents to protect their children and never to violate their trust and dependence.
Its not that man makes the moral rules...its that man DISCOVERS the objective moral rules/laws by looking toward THE highest objective moral standard there is ...and that is the Creator himself --- his very character, person, and intrinsic nature . We dont call something wrong 'because The Bible said so' or 'because the Koran said so' or 'because Mother Theresa said so' or 'because the 10 commandments said so' or ' because the Humanist Manifesto said so' ........its because of WHAT GOD IS .
And no, he never changes 'to suit his purposes' because he cannot change from what his intrinsic character/person/nature is -- he is the changeLESS Creator in whom we can have full and complete trust in as the absolute truth .
He will never ever condone that which is not according to his very nature -- he is ultimate and infinite in morality , truth, and justice. ANd our Founding Fathers recognized this when they penned the Declaration of Independence making reference to the Creator and how we are endowed with certain inalienable rights because of being fashioned in the very image of our Creator ... we all have been given an objective Moral Law to know what is really right from wrong (and why) . Its just that depraved Man wishes to suppress that, ignore that , and re-define that to accomplish his own personal ulterior motives.
Hope that helps .
"I never asserted such an absurd proposition, that something could arise without a Cause" -- staunch atheist Philosopher David Hume.
"What this world now needs is Christian love or compassion" -- staunch atheist Bertrand Russell.