These forums reminds me of Andy Griffith

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Post Reply
ultimate777
Senior Member
Posts: 736
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:06 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

These forums reminds me of Andy Griffith

#1

Post by ultimate777 » Wed May 30, 2012 9:24 pm

In the movie "No Time for Sargeants" Andy Griffith is a country boy trying to get in the Air Force.

He is given a board with round and square holes and round and square pegs to put in them.

At first he is stumped, but then with a big smile on his face he starts carving on the pegs with his pocket knife to make them fit.

This reminds me of a lot of answers people get here.

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2879
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:01 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Aussie Land
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: These forums reminds me of Andy Griffith

#2

Post by Danieltwotwenty » Wed May 30, 2012 9:39 pm

Why do you expect more?

We are not Gods, we don't have limitless knowledge and powers of reasoning.

We are just simple humans trying to understand our existence.


*EDIT* I don't always think there is a right and wrong answer to every question, different people think differently and some people will accept one answer while rejecting the other and vice versa.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.

User avatar
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3560
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:13 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 106 times
Contact:

Re: These forums reminds me of Andy Griffith

#3

Post by neo-x » Wed May 30, 2012 10:22 pm

If you come out clean, avoiding that "holier than thou" attitude, it might help. Seriously, I'd love to talk to you but your general responses always leave me with a feeling that you are either being sarcastic, or just poking about issues you do not want to seriously delve in.

To be honest, it creates the impression that the person doing so (in this case, you), has gone through all of the issues (superficially or not) and now has an understanding of the flaws (if there are any) in the arguments which you won't share, but that just begs the question itself as to what might be the reason to your hit n run posts in the first place.

Or you have no idea or very little idea of what you are trying to ask which is not without your implied sense of irony since you hardly argue or debate at all. You dive into issues and then sit back and let people answer you; they reply to your questions and further ask you questions which you hardly follow up on. At times your attitude just cries that you have a personal standard which other people have to meet, for that is the only way you'd consider their response a valid one.

So there is it is, if you know better on the issues that you keep posting, please share. If you do not know about what you're asking, please have the courtesy and patience to stick around, learn, be honest about your doubts and objections, so that it is easy to address them. Playing around word games and stamping responses as irrelevant, insulting, or halfhearted is just plain intellectually dishonest, no wonder you're the only one getting such a response. I see other people who are here, not christian and still going on in debates and arguments, healthy ones at that, even if they disagree. A few debates do get a little heated, but that's understandable and shouldn't be excuse to stamp the board as you did, seeing you hardly put up a strong case for your objections yourself.

Bottom line, In my honest opinion most people do not answer you completely (some do with all sincerity) or do so halfheartedly, is simply because you do not reply sincerely and you do not engage them further. An attitude like that will of course land you with the problems you are facing here. But the fault, at the heart of the matter, to me atleast, is your lack of engagement on the issues you post.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.


//johnadavid.wordpress.com

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 9228
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 349 times

Re: These forums reminds me of Andy Griffith

#4

Post by PaulSacramento » Thu May 31, 2012 5:52 am

One thing that we have to do is be honest with ourselves and understand that what we ALL are doing is interpreting scripture, either inour own way or by agreeing with someone elses interpretation.
We always have to be open to the fact that we may be wrong and understand COMPLETELY that our salvation is up to God through Christ and NOTHING else.

ultimate777
Senior Member
Posts: 736
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:06 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Re: These forums reminds me of Andy Griffith

#5

Post by ultimate777 » Thu May 31, 2012 8:52 pm

neo-x wrote:If you come out clean, avoiding that "holier than thou" attitude, it might help. Seriously, I'd love to talk to you but your general responses always leave me with a feeling that you are either being sarcastic, or just poking about issues you do not want to seriously delve in.

To be honest, it creates the impression that the person doing so (in this case, you), has gone through all of the issues (superficially or not) and now has an understanding of the flaws (if there are any) in the arguments which you won't share, but that just begs the question itself as to what might be the reason to your hit n run posts in the first place.

Or you have no idea or very little idea of what you are trying to ask which is not without your implied sense of irony since you hardly argue or debate at all. You dive into issues and then sit back and let people answer you; they reply to your questions and further ask you questions which you hardly follow up on. At times your attitude just cries that you have a personal standard which other people have to meet, for that is the only way you'd consider their response a valid one.


My standard is what I consider the most important parts of my posts be answered. Good grief, you don't have to give an answer I agree with. Give me an answer I disagree with if you must, but give me an answer I consider on point. If I ask only what 2+2 equals, don't try to sell me its not worth knowing but 3+3=6 is.


So there is it is, if you know better on the issues that you keep posting, please share. If you do not know about what you're asking, please have the courtesy and patience to stick around, learn, be honest about your doubts and objections,


Its people at least seeming to avoid my questions that usually provoke my scorn, or so I think.


so that it is easy to address them. Playing around word games and stamping responses as irrelevant, insulting, or halfhearted is just plain intellectually dishonest, no wonder you're the only one getting such a response.


Accept IMHO they often are, honestly.


I see other people who are here, not christian and still going on in debates and arguments, healthy ones at that, even if they disagree. A few debates do get a little heated, but that's understandable and shouldn't be excuse to stamp the board as you did, seeing you hardly put up a strong case for your objections yourself.


Show me how I'm doing that, and I might even try to stop.


Bottom line, In my honest opinion most people do not answer you completely (some do with all sincerity) or do so halfheartedly, is simply because you do not reply sincerely and you do not engage them further.


I suppose some people who do so might not even be familiar with my previous posts


An attitude like that will of course land you with the problems you are facing here. But the fault, at the heart of the matter, to me atleast, is your lack of engagement on the issues you post.

What I mean by my Andy Griffith comment is I think sometimes people carve up the questions or answers so they won't have to give answers that go against their world views. Such as when they fear the plain meaning of scripture is unacceptable.
So they give a response that would better fit another question, and get their feelings hurt when you try to point that out, and either deny they are even doing it, or imply they know they are doing it, but are sure its the right thing to do.

I can take only take so much of that without at least a break, perhaps thus this, if I understand you: "seeing you hardly put up a strong case for your objections yourself."


Listen, if I am genuinely doing wrong I hope to do better.

ultimate777
Senior Member
Posts: 736
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:06 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Re: These forums reminds me of Andy Griffith

#6

Post by ultimate777 » Thu May 31, 2012 8:59 pm

Danieltwotwenty wrote:Why do you expect more?

We are not Gods, we don't have limitless knowledge and powers of reasoning.

We are just simple humans trying to understand our existence.


*EDIT* I don't always think there is a right and wrong answer to every question, different people think differently and some people will accept one answer while rejecting the other and vice versa.

Dan

I just want answers I consider on point. Are they too much to expect?

ultimate777
Senior Member
Posts: 736
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:06 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Re: These forums reminds me of Andy Griffith

#7

Post by ultimate777 » Thu May 31, 2012 9:03 pm

PaulSacramento wrote:One thing that we have to do is be honest with ourselves and understand that what we ALL are doing is interpreting scripture, either inour own way or by agreeing with someone elses interpretation.
We always have to be open to the fact that we may be wrong and understand COMPLETELY that our salvation is up to God through Christ and NOTHING else.
Please, if I think you are on point, probably, in your opinion, I'll play nice.

User avatar
1over137
Technical Admin
Posts: 5247
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 6:05 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Slovakia
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 297 times

Re: These forums reminds me of Andy Griffith

#8

Post by 1over137 » Thu May 31, 2012 9:31 pm

ultimate777 wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:Why do you expect more?

We are not Gods, we don't have limitless knowledge and powers of reasoning.

We are just simple humans trying to understand our existence.

*EDIT* I don't always think there is a right and wrong answer to every question, different people think differently and some people will accept one answer while rejecting the other and vice versa.

Dan
I just want answers I consider on point. Are they too much to expect?
Ultimate777, I am curious where exactly you did not get your answers.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart

mandelduke
Recognized Member
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:35 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Choctaw. MS.
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: These forums reminds me of Andy Griffith

#9

Post by mandelduke » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:11 pm

When I want answers I look them up in the bible. If I cannot find them there I ask GOD.

User avatar
cheezerrox
Established Member
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:30 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: NJ, USA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: These forums reminds me of Andy Griffith

#10

Post by cheezerrox » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:34 pm

I think Neo-X really said it all, I agree with him. Ultimate, I wanna restate 1over137's question and ask where you think you didn't get answers. I've seen your threads, and you got plenty of legitimate answers. Only after they were ignored and you only responded with a condescending attitude and more questions without even taking the time to respond to the present answers does anyone give up. You say things like "Give me an answer I disagree with if you must, but give me an answer I consider on point," but you never have pointed out how people miss your points. Things would go smoother if maybe you helped lead us, then. Even if somehow your questions weren't answered, plenty of people undoubtedly TRIED to answer them, so I can't see how you expect so much from people you aren't willing to work with.

No one's trying to be short or combative with you, and I understand that it's frustrating to not be able to get your questions answered. But work with us, don't just abandon conversations and responses. Really read Neo's post over and over, as he isn't saying it out of anywhere except honesty and concern. It may sound harsh, but we're all here to help you if that's really what you're looking for.
"The prophet is a man who feels fiercely. G-d has thrust a burden upon his soul, and he is bowed and stunned at man's fierce greed. Frightful is the agony of man; no human voice can convey its full terror. Prophecy is the voice that G-d has lent to the silent agony, a voice to the plundered poor, to the profaned riches of the world. It is a form of living, a crossing point of G-d and man."
- Abraham Joshua Heschel

ultimate777
Senior Member
Posts: 736
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:06 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Re: These forums reminds me of Andy Griffith

#11

Post by ultimate777 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:56 am

cheezerrox wrote:I think Neo-X really said it all, I agree with him. Ultimate, I wanna restate 1over137's question and ask where you think you didn't get answers. I've seen your threads, and you got plenty of legitimate answers. Only after they were ignored and you only responded with a condescending attitude and more questions without even taking the time to respond to the present answers does anyone give up. You say things like "Give me an answer I disagree with if you must, but give me an answer I consider on point," but you never have pointed out how people miss your points. Things would go smoother if maybe you helped lead us, then. Even if somehow your questions weren't answered, plenty of people undoubtedly TRIED to answer them, so I can't see how you expect so much from people you aren't willing to work with.

No one's trying to be short or combative with you, and I understand that it's frustrating to not be able to get your questions answered. But work with us, don't just abandon conversations and responses. Really read Neo's post over and over, as he isn't saying it out of anywhere except honesty and concern. It may sound harsh, but we're all here to help you if that's really what you're looking for.

Some times I cannot go online for days at a time. It could be some of what you say is true such as: "You say things like "Give me an answer I disagree with if you must, but give me an an, swer I consider on point," but you never have pointed out how people miss your points."

I think I am going to back it up a bit and then give it another try. My lack of sleep seems to be affecting my memory :crying: I remember impressions right now this minute, not specifics.

So I am going to ask a question that may help establish if the problem still exists, and if so how bad is it, and try to make clear what it is.

This may be a hot potato:

In Mathew, Mark, and Luke does Jesus ever claim to be the Son of God, if so, where, and if not, why not?

I think I may put this question in a thread of its own, in another forum, hopefully y[-o< so that others can deal with it who won't see it here, also, without, neccessarily, being diverted by the rest of this post.

Mariolee
Recognized Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:06 pm
Christian: Yes
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: These forums reminds me of Andy Griffith

#12

Post by Mariolee » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:34 pm

In Mathew, Mark, and Luke does Jesus ever claim to be the Son of God, if so, where, and if not, why not?

I think I may put this question in a thread of its own, in another forum, hopefully so that others can deal with it who won't see it here, also, without, neccessarily, being diverted by the rest of this post.
In Matthew 26:63-66 and Luke 1:35 (well, in this verse Jesus Himself doesn't state He is the Son of God, but rather an angel does. Which I think lends equal credibility)
How do some people mess up a message about "love" and "forgiveness" so much?!

Post Reply