The Difference Between Having Morals and Holy Spirit

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
inlovewiththe44
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

The Difference Between Having Morals and Holy Spirit

Post by inlovewiththe44 »

To clarify, it's obvious that people who aren't Christians behave in a Christian manner in many aspects. I am wondering what makes people with the Holy Spirit different. What exactly does having the Holy Spirit do for us, except baptize us spiritually and mark us as belonging to Christ?
inlovewiththe44
Recognized Member

Re: The Difference Between Having Morals and Holy Spirit

I've also always wondered what blasphemy against the Holy Spirit entailed. But I'm sure that would probably require its own topic.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

To blasphemy the HS is to ACCEPT Christ and THEN deny Him.
It is to KNOW Christ in truth and in love and then to turn around and say he doesn't exist or that he wasn't the Messiah, in short to be the "anti-christ" as John said in his first letter.
As for the difference between morals and the HS:
To those without the HS morals is where it "ends", to a Christian with the HS, it is where it begins.
inlovewiththe44
Recognized Member

Thanks Paul, that clears it up a bit :)
jestes
Familiar Member

Post by jestes »

You're talking about the unforgivable sin. That verse has caused a few hearts to skip a beat, including mine when I first read it. Here's my view:

Jesus said that it was the one sin that 'would' not be forgiven, not 'could not' be forgiven. He also talked about it right after the Pharisees said that his healing abilities were of demonic origin. The meaning I take away from that passage is basically, "If someone has hardened himself to the point where he sees Jesus preform miracles with his own two eyes, and yet still rejects faith in Christ, his unbelief is beyond repair.

Basically, it's not that Christ would be "unwilling" to forgive, just that the person will never be willing to take Christ up on his offer.
inlovewiththe44
Recognized Member

@Jestes- thanks for that insight. It helps me understand it way better.

And @Paul, what exactly comes after morals? I was thinking about your response earlier today and I was wondering, if morals are the start for us, what comes after?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

inlovewiththe44 wrote:@Jestes- thanks for that insight. It helps me understand it way better.

And @Paul, what exactly comes after morals? I was thinking about your response earlier today and I was wondering, if morals are the start for us, what comes after?
After morals comes living day-to-day in Christ.
When I say that morals is the starting point for a Christian I mean, basically, what Christ said about "love they neighbour":
"it is written love thy neighbour like yourself, but I say to you love they enemy and pray for him..."
For a Christian the moral of "love they neighbour" is not the 'end" but the beginning because when we are In Christ we not only love our neighbour and who does right to us ( universal moral) BUT we love and pray for even those that do wrong to Us and even persecute Us.