Past Lives

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Tina
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Past Lives

Post by Tina »

Is there anything in the Bible about past lives? My fiance's mother believes in them and I don't think they are real. I'm not sure,though, so I'm asking you guys.
Does it go against the Bible? She's really testing my faith today. She believes that we are a spirit or enegry that will "go on" after we die, but is not really sure what is waiting after death. She doesn't believe in "organized religion", though she was raised a Christian, but doesn't believe. She used to be a nurse and says she has witnessed some unusual things. It got me to thinking "Why is Christianity any different from other religions" even though I know better. Can you help me with some thoughts on this?
"Love others as I have loved you." -Jesus Christ
Byblos
Old School

Re: Past Lives

Post by Byblos »

Hebrews 9:27
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Tina
Established Member

Post by Tina »

Byblos wrote:Hebrews 9:27
Good answer. Thank you
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Tina, I used to believe in reincarnation, but that was in a past life. :lol:

But seriously, as Byblos posted, Hebrews 9:27 sums up pretty well, what the bible teaches about reincarnation. Except for possible special instances(see B.W's testimony), once we die, it's too late.
Your future MIL is correct in a way, about our spirit "going on" after we die. I believe our spirits are created as everlasting. Sounds like she remembers some of what she was taught as a child, but is unsure of some stuff.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Tina
Established Member

Post by Tina »

RickD wrote:Tina, I used to believe in reincarnation, but that was in a past life. :lol:

But seriously, as Byblos posted, Hebrews 9:27 sums up pretty well, what the bible teaches about reincarnation. Except for possible special instances(see B.W's testimony), once we die, it's too late.
Your future MIL is correct in a way, about our spirit "going on" after we die. I believe our spirits are created as everlasting. Sounds like she remembers some of what she was taught as a child, but is unsure of some stuff.
Yes I believe you're right about that. It worries me tho. I see more and more stuff on tv about mediums, past lives, or other supernatural things. It's amazing how efficient it is to leading ppl astray. I was talking to my MIL about it because she the show she was watching was about it.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Tina, I believe God created us with a desire to seek out spiritual things. People are going to try to find answers, by getting into this kind of stuff, if they're not saved. The best way to describe it, is that we are all created with a "God shaped" void inside us. No matter what we keep trying to fill that void with, if it's not filled with the Holy Spirit, then the void will always exist. You seem like a very persistent person. Keep praying for her, and continue to guide her in the right direction, with the love of Christ. The way she sees Christ in you, can bring her to a saving faith in Him.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Tina
Established Member

Post by Tina »

RickD wrote:Tina, I believe God created us with a desire to seek out spiritual things. People are going to try to find answers, by getting into this kind of stuff, if they're not saved. The best way to describe it, is that we are all created with a "God shaped" void inside us. No matter what we keep trying to fill that void with, if it's not filled with the Holy Spirit, then the void will always exist. You seem like a very persistent person. Keep praying for her, and continue to guide her in the right direction, with the love of Christ. The way she sees Christ in you, can bring her to a saving faith in Him.
Thanks Rick =>
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

I've covered this a while ago on a different thread, but are tv shows that utilize non-Christian supernatural things really that bad? I honestly don't think most people watch Medium and suddenly abandon their faith. People don't read Harry Potter and start worshiping magic spirits or get into the occult. It's just fiction. Yes, some science fiction and fantasy can bring up fun arguments and spur imagination outside the realm of the Bible, but I don't think it's right to say these types of entertainment are doing negative things to society or anything.
Tina
Established Member

Post by Tina »

Ivellious wrote:I've covered this a while ago on a different thread, but are tv shows that utilize non-Christian supernatural things really that bad? I honestly don't think most people watch Medium and suddenly abandon their faith. People don't read Harry Potter and start worshiping magic spirits or get into the occult. It's just fiction. Yes, some science fiction and fantasy can bring up fun arguments and spur imagination outside the realm of the Bible, but I don't think it's right to say these types of entertainment are doing negative things to society or anything.
No, not the fantasy ones ( I love fantasy stuff ) I'm talking about the ones trying to convince ppl they are true.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

Ah. OK. I too have little love for the pseudo-reality psychic shows or the ghost hunter-type things. Even then, I think most people think those shows are just fun or funny, not serious, but I think it's kind of stupid and not a legitimate form of entertainment. On the same levels as cons, I guess.
KOGnition
Familiar Member

Post by KOGnition »

Ivellious wrote:Ah. OK. I too have little love for the pseudo-reality psychic shows or the ghost hunter-type things. Even then, I think most people think those shows are just fun or funny, not serious, but I think it's kind of stupid and not a legitimate form of entertainment. On the same levels as cons, I guess.
On the extreme contrary, I know quite a few who unfortunately totally believe everything shown in those "psuedo-reality psychic shows or ghost hunter-type" shows. I've seen a large following for them and they all seem to take ghost and mediums as truth.
It saddens me. A few are close friends of mine and I tell them all the time that they are opening up their hearts to things very dark and misleading.
Tina
Established Member

Post by Tina »

KOGnition wrote:
Ivellious wrote:Ah. OK. I too have little love for the pseudo-reality psychic shows or the ghost hunter-type things. Even then, I think most people think those shows are just fun or funny, not serious, but I think it's kind of stupid and not a legitimate form of entertainment. On the same levels as cons, I guess.
On the extreme contrary, I know quite a few who unfortunately totally believe everything shown in those "psuedo-reality psychic shows or ghost hunter-type" shows. I've seen a large following for them and they all seem to take ghost and mediums as truth.
It saddens me. A few are close friends of mine and I tell them all the time that they are opening up their hearts to things very dark and misleading.
I know what you mean. Same situation. I have a friend who believes in GOD but not the bible and she gets sucked into believing those psychic things, I have a friend who used to be Christian but due to learning about evolution in school, she's no longer a believer. I have an athiest friend ( that likes to make stories about angels, demons, and so on ). I have a friend who says she's Christian but around our other friends will say or propose actions that just are not Christian (from peer pressure ( in my opinion )

its strange how effected ppl are by what they see and hear