The Truth

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

The Truth

Post by ultimate777 »

What if you know the truth but you cannot convince someone of it no matter how powerfully you assure them it's the truth and the consequences of them not accepting the truth would be truly hellacious for them and not so good for you?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: The Truth

Post by Canuckster1127 »

ultimate777 wrote:What if you know the truth but you cannot convince someone of it no matter how powerfully you assure them it's the truth and the consequences of them not accepting the truth would be truly hellacious for them and not so good for you?
Here's a truth ... There's no quicker path to frustration than trying to force someone to do what only they can choose to do for themselves, even if it impacts you significantly. Too, sometimes the attempt will drive that other person to resist it just so that they can say they weren't swayed by someone else. At some point you have to let go of what you can't control, focus on the those things that you can, encourage others to do right and be prepared for either eventuality.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by bippy123 »

ultimate777 wrote:What if you know the truth but you cannot convince someone of it no matter how powerfully you assure them it's the truth and the consequences of them not accepting the truth would be truly hellacious for them and not so good for you?
Pray for that person with all of the love and compassion in your heart and keep praying for them every day.
None of our prayers are ever wasted.
KOGnition
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by KOGnition »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
Here's a truth ... There's no quicker path to frustration than trying to force someone to do what only they can choose to do for themselves, even if it impacts you significantly. Too, sometimes the attempt will drive that other person to resist it just so that they can say they weren't swayed by someone else. At some point you have to let go of what you can't control, focus on the those things that you can, encourage others to do right and be prepared for either eventuality.
This is so well said, please allow me to quote you on this to others in my life. I feel this is exactly what I'm going thru with close relationships in my journey right now.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Feek free. Glad it helped.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender