How do you Know There is Only one God as Opposed to Many?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: How do you Know There is Only one God as Opposed to Many

Post by DannyM »

Reactionary wrote:
Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:Why can't their be one awesome female in the bible?
15 August... You picked the right day. :ewink:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assumption_of_Mary

"The feast of the Assumption on August 15 is a public holiday in many countries, including Austria, Belgium, Chile, Ecuador, France, Greece, Lebanon, Italy, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Senegal and Spain"

Including mine as well. :D
Part of the Prod in me just wants to lay in to this...But I'm learning to be restrained and non judgemental…learning to appreciate the common ground is more important than the differences…

8)
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Reactionary

Post by Reactionary »

DannyM wrote:Part of the Prod in me just wants to lay in to this...But I'm learning to be restrained and non judgemental…learning to appreciate the common ground is more important than the differences…

8)
I understand, colleague. Respect from a Catholic. yB-)2
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Reactionary wrote:
DannyM wrote:Part of the Prod in me just wants to lay in to this...But I'm learning to be restrained and non judgemental…learning to appreciate the common ground is more important than the differences…

8)
y>:D<
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Seraph
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Seraph »

The universe has uniformity and has laws that work in union with each other like clockwork. Plus, pretty much everything in the universe can be traced back to a single moment of creation at the big bang. I think this suggests that it all was designed by a single designer rather than several. If there were multiple gods, you would think some parts of the universe would be seperate and independent from each other.

From a philosophical standpoint, it also makes more sense that there would only be a single transcendent uncaused cause rather than multiple.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Seraph wrote:From a philosophical standpoint, it also makes more sense that there would only be a single transcendent uncaused cause rather than multiple.
From a logical standpoint it is impossible that there be multiple maximally great beings for the simple reason that that would lead to countless violations of the law of non-contradiction. The simplest example is if one MGB decides to create and another decides to prevent creation. There can be only one omnipotent, omniscient God.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Byblos wrote:
Reactionary wrote:

8)
y>:D<
Absolutely, Brothers. y>:D< y>:D<
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia