What are other people of dif. relig. "feeling" once the pray

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
spartanII
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

What are other people of dif. relig. "feeling" once the pray

Post by spartanII »

I've always wondered this. It seems a bit harsh to say "the Devil!" but what are other people of different religions (Hindiusm/Islam, etc.) feeling once they pray. They are assured that they feel like they are in connection with some sort of higher power. And what about converts of Islam to Christianity? Is that feeling legit now? Or vice versa?

I know God says we are "worshiping creatures," so it'd make sense that we'd have some sort of feeling but apart from that, I wonder what they feel like?
Atheist: "Science says it, I believe it, That settles it."
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: What are other people of dif. relig. "feeling" once the

Post by Jonouchi Katsuya »

First off, Islam worships the same god as Judaism and Christianity, just not Jesus as the son of God. In Islam, Jesus is a prophet who preached the word of God.
I'm currently having a sleepover, so we have a few opinions to share.
Harold - "I say goodnight to the Universe. And it...feels like I'm saying goodnight to the Universe. I don't really 'pray.'"
Amanda - "I don't 'pray' to a deity of any sort, but I do 'pray' in the sense that I send feelings of goodwill toward others, and for me, that is a pleasant feeling. Just like a Christian may pray to God on another's behave, I believe that my feelings of goodwill can support another person. As for myself, I'm responsible for my own wellbeing and I don't have any particular personal connection to any higher power."
Brittany - "I do pray. Sometimes to God, sometimes to the Universe, sometimes just praying for goodwill in general. It's kind of complicated, but I do feel good. It's really more of a meditation than an actual prayer. I typically like to send out good vibes - hope and love, and hope it reaches people."

As for Hindus, or people of any other religion with beliefs in deities, who pray, I'm sure whatever they feel is very similar to what you feel when you pray. I'm sure you mean what is the outside power that responds to their prayer, but is it really an outside power? Can't it come from within yourself? After all, God is in you and your faith is personal. Prayer should be the same.
Hi I am a Buddhist and I seek enlightenment. I do not know everything. I do not pretend to know everything. I desire strongly to discuss the Bible as you see it. Please correct me when I get something wrong.
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:First off, Islam worships the same god as Judaism and Christianity, just not Jesus as the son of God. In Islam, Jesus is a prophet who preached the word of God.
Harold - "I say goodnight to the Universe. And it...feels like I'm saying goodnight to the Universe. I don't really 'pray.'"
Amanda - "I don't 'pray' to a deity of any sort, but I do 'pray' in the sense that I send feelings of goodwill toward others, and for me, that is a pleasant feeling. Just like a Christian may pray to God on another's behave, I believe that my feelings of goodwill can support another person. As for myself, I'm responsible for my own wellbeing and I don't have any particular personal connection to any higher power."
Brittany - "I do pray. Sometimes to God, sometimes to the Universe, sometimes just praying for goodwill in general. It's kind of complicated, but I do feel good. It's really more of a meditation than an actual prayer. I typically like to send out good vibes - hope and love, and hope it reaches people."

As for Hindus, or people of any other religion with beliefs in deities, who pray, I'm sure whatever they feel is very similar to what you feel when you pray. I'm sure you mean what is the outside power that responds to their prayer, but is it really an outside power? Can't it come from within yourself? After all, God is in you and your faith is personal. Prayer should be the same.
It is a common modern fallacy for people to say 'all trappings of religion are different, but the core is the same'. The problem is, the opposite is true. The trappings are the same (prayer, Scripture, etc), but the cores are different. The Christian God and Allah are not the same. Christians believe in a Trinitarian God who sent His Son to die for the sins of the world. Muslims believe in a purely monotheistic god who encourages war against infidels.

Also, your analysis of spirituality 'coming from ourselves' is in direct contrast to historic Christianity. Any number of Christian theologians through the ages would take issue with your statement as completely false. Eastern religions emphasize the 'oneness' of everything. That no thing is different than any other thing. This is a call to forbid action and change. It is saying "God is inside of you. You are already complete". It is perfectly symbolized by the man who sits crosslegged, his eyes closed, and his body never moving. Compare this with the Christian man on his knees, staring into the heavens, crying out to God. God is outside of man, and as GK Chesterton put it, it allows man to transcend himself.

Prayer is not about a feeling in Christianity. Prayer is about talking to God almighty. If someone can't tell the difference between the Creator and the Created because it 'gets complicated', they've never prayed in their life in the Christian sense.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
spartanII
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by spartanII »

MarcusOfLycia wrote:
Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:First off, Islam worships the same god as Judaism and Christianity, just not Jesus as the son of God. In Islam, Jesus is a prophet who preached the word of God.

It is a common modern fallacy for people to say 'all trappings of religion are different, but the core is the same'. The problem is, the opposite is true. The trappings are the same (prayer, Scripture, etc), but the cores are different. The Christian God and Allah are not the same. Christians believe in a Trinitarian God who sent His Son to die for the sins of the world. Muslims believe in a purely monotheistic god who encourages war against infidels.

Also, your analysis of spirituality 'coming from ourselves' is in direct contrast to historic Christianity. Any number of Christian theologians through the ages would take issue with your statement as completely false. Eastern religions emphasize the 'oneness' of everything. That no thing is different than any other thing. This is a call to forbid action and change. It is saying "God is inside of you. You are already complete". It is perfectly symbolized by the man who sits crosslegged, his eyes closed, and his body never moving. Compare this with the Christian man on his knees, staring into the heavens, crying out to God. God is outside of man, and as GK Chesterton put it, it allows man to transcend himself.

Prayer is not about a feeling in Christianity. Prayer is about talking to God almighty. If someone can't tell the difference between the Creator and the Created because it 'gets complicated', they've never prayed in their life in the Christian sense.
I agree, i agree, and yeah, i saw him post that about Islam and i was going to call him out on it (not in an offensive way but people do say that and it's a misconception). And yeah, i don't understand Eastern religion. If all is one, why make a distinction, why not just say one? And from what i hear, Eastern philosophers hate Western Philosophers and call us "wrong," in our understanding of things? I thought "all was one," why do you hate a distinction, or even recognize it? :p
(not you, of course, them)
Atheist: "Science says it, I believe it, That settles it."