Prayer

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Prayer

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Hi
i have a question on prayer, one of my friends and i were having a discussion one day about prayer and how we go about it. I told him when i pray i do it in my head usually starting by giving thanks for everything the father has done and provided for me and then asking for the things i require. He said that i was doing it wrong, he said that i need to pray out loud and that by speaking the words gives them meaning and power. I have many times experienced the power of prayer in my life so i beleive that God hears my prayers and i do pray out loud when i am in a group of people who are praying and only when i am by myself do i pray inside my head. i also talk to God constantly through the day inside my head and i fear if i did it out loud at work people would think i am crazy : P .

Looking Forward to your responses

Daniel : )
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Prayer

Post by 1over137 »

This might help: http://www.gotquestions.org/silent-prayer.html

Here is the copy:

Question: "Silent prayer - is it biblical?"

Answer: The Bible may not specifically mention praying silently, but that does not mean it is any less valid than praying out loud. God can hear our thoughts just as easily as He can hear our words (Psalm 139:23; Jeremiah 12:3). Jesus knew the evil thoughts of the Pharisees (Matthew 12:24-26; Luke 11:7). Nothing we do, say, or think is hidden from God, who does not need to hear our words to know our thoughts. He has access to all prayers directed to Him, whether or not they are spoken.

The Bible does mention praying in private (Matthew 6:6). What would be the difference between praying out loud or silently if you are by yourself? There are some circumstances where only silent prayer is appropriate, e.g., praying for something between you and God only, praying for someone who is present, etc. There is not anything wrong with praying silently, as long as we are not doing it because we are embarrassed to be seen praying.

Perhaps the best verse to indicate the validity of unspoken prayers is 1 Thessalonians 5:17: “Pray without ceasing.” To pray unceasingly obviously cannot mean we are praying out loud all of the time. Rather, it means we are to be in a constant state of God-consciousness, where we take every thought captive to Him (2 Corinthians 10:5) and bring every situation, plan, fear, or concern before His throne. Part of unceasing prayer will be prayers that are spoken, whispered, shouted, sung, and silent as we direct our thoughts of praise, petition, supplication, and thanksgiving to God.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

hi Lover137
Thankyou for the link much appreciated, this has clarified the issue for me and i will continue to worship and pray in the manner i have been. y[-o<
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

I would say if you are in a group and a need arises which may demand that all who are praying pray in the same faith should unite then perhaps it is wise to pray with them in a loud voice.

However for everything personal, I prefer praying silent to God, in my heart, remember Hannah (Samuel's mother) she never raised her voice but poured her heart out to God.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Hi Neo-X
Thank you for your response, i read 1 Samuel last night and it is an inspiring story.

Daniel
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.