Christianity vs. Other Religions

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Seraph
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Christianity vs. Other Religions

Post by Seraph »

I don't think Noah has an axe to grind. I think he is like me, where if he percieves an apparent flaw (apparent is the crucial term) in a form of Christianity's theology, he'll ask about it without pulling punches. It's not to create conflict or hostility but to get an answer.

This is a forum for answering hard to answer questions after all. It's not all fuzzies.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Maytan
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Maytan »

I've nothing against asking questions, Seraph. Noah was simply coming off as a bit militant to me with his initial post.

I shouldn't have played up that poor assumption, however. So, I apologize, Noah.
Kristoffer
Valued Member

Post by Kristoffer »

so...do i have to modify my little list for this calvanism and protestantism(which apparantly is self-contradictory, surprise? :wave: )

adjö y@};-
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

Well, if you wanted your list to represent every seperate belief system that is labelled as part of "Christianity", you'd probably have to break the Christianity portion of the table into at least 30 different parts. Then again you'd have to do that to all the other religions as well.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Kristoffer
Valued Member

Post by Kristoffer »

yea and lots of different splits is meant to be a strength somehow. I think it means there is a lot of division not obvious though.
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

Not that it's a strength but it doesn't invalidate the whole thing.

There are many different camps on how economics should work, it doesn't mean the entire concept of currency is bunk.
Noah1201
Recognized Member

Post by Noah1201 »

Maytan wrote:I've nothing against asking questions, Seraph. Noah was simply coming off as a bit militant to me with his initial post.

I shouldn't have played up that poor assumption, however. So, I apologize, Noah.
No problem. I apologize as well, since I did not mean that come off as militant.

I will explain briefly why I am so enthusiastic about showing Christian exclusivists that their beliefs are self-incoinsistent. When I was a Christian, I was an inclusivist - precisely because of the logical problem I pointed out earlier. I've never come across anything close to a plausible rationalization. Yet, when you identify yourself as an inclusivist in Christian circles, you'll immediately be labeled a heretic, liberal, etc. You're probably aware how much drama Rob Bell's supposed universalism recently caused in evanglical circles.

Yet, I am confident that these are, aside from Calvinism, the only logically consistent positions. And despite that, there's so much hostility towards them. So that's why I might come across as militant in my efforts to demonstrate this to Christians.

Anyhow, Craig's argument does not make much sense to me, and I will explain why later.
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

Oh, Rob's universalism isn't 'supposed'. Its pretty gosh-darned accurate as a description.

Are you not a Christian, then? Your profile says you are.

I don't know how Jesus' statement "No one comes unto the Father except through me" can make any other sense than that Christianity is extremely exclusive. That isn't a negative thing though, when you understand the concept like a family. It isn't that Christianity is invitation only - it is that you have to accept the invitation. You don't get into the family just by being good. No one gets in that way, because no one is good enough. You have to be perfect.

I don't think Calvinism is the only logically consistent viewpoint in Christianity. I haven't read all of Calvin's works, though I'd like to someday. Have you? Have you read any of the early Jewish Christian writers (or even modern day)? There's a lot of wisdom there that might be missing in Calvin's very western approach. Ever read any of the other older Christian writers? They felt pretty logically consistent, and they didn't have Calvin to read either.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

The Calvinist I know, do not tempt God.

So far, Rob Bell does… maybe he will change???

Luke 4:12, "And Jesus answered and said to him, "It has been said, 'YOU SHALL NOT TEMPT THE LORD YOUR GOD. "

Deut 5:11, 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain."

So the people mentioned here, 2 Peter 2:18, 19, 20, 21, 22c , because of love must be proved at all cost, enter heaven too?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys