Miracles in bible times versus today

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
kevdog19
Recognized Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Miracles in bible times versus today

Post by kevdog19 »

oh and they is whoever wrote the book of job and whoever wrote the other books that describe Satan. But I thought that was obvious enough, but I can clarify if need be.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes

Post by Canuckster1127 »

kevdog19 wrote:oh and they is whoever wrote the book of job and whoever wrote the other books that describe Satan. But I thought that was obvious enough, but I can clarify if need be.
Go ahead and clarify. If you wish to make the claim that Satan does good presently then that was the original question. I've given you plenty of contrary Biblical evidence. Further, in Islam, Satan is known as Shaitan not the name you cite and I don't see where what you said promotes your point.

So, if you wish to present Biblical evidence, the floor is yours. Chapter and verse and if you're so inclined you might try and address the heavy amount of contrary evidence you've been provided. The only one that I see that you might have a chance on might be the reference as an angel of light, but then the operative work there is "appears" and the clarification that Satan is a liar, deceiver and attempts to appear as other than what He is. If you believe you have a Biblical case to make that was what you were asked to do in the first place.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
kevdog19
Recognized Member

Post by kevdog19 »

I already mentioned the book of job. I don't really believe the bible is the be all and end all of Spirtual knowledge. The book inside ones mind is a much more accurate depiction of the universe. The bible is like 85% allegory. Also I believe Satan loves mankind thats a hatchet job of the bible, Satans here to enlighten it's flock. People that freak out from demon possesion aren't of Satan's ilk and can't handle it. Satan has done good for me and that's the evidence I need your basing your evaluation off a book.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

kevdog19 wrote:I already mentioned the book of job. I don't really believe the bible is the be all and end all of Spirtual knowledge. The book inside ones mind is a much more accurate depiction of the universe. The bible is like 85% allegory. Also I believe Satan loves mankind thats a hatchet job of the bible, Satans here to enlighten it's flock. People that freak out from demon possesion aren't of Satan's ilk and can't handle it. Satan has done good for me and that's the evidence I need your basing your evaluation off a book.
Kev, I'm confused. You offered to clarify and then you again difflect.

Let me help you out here. Have you read our Board Purpose and Discussion Guideline?

Here's a part that might be of interest.
Guidelines for debating against Christian beliefs
The following are some guidelines for members to follow who choose to debate against Christian beliefs:

Dialogue and debate with sensitivity, understanding you are participating within a Christian community.
Do not set out to try change the opinion of Christians as this immediately creates barriers and hostility.
If you receive hostility, or a caution from a moderator, be gracious enough to leave the associated discussion/s politely.
Do not criticise the way this board is moderated for Christians either through direct or indirect public comments.
If you vehemently disagree with Christian beliefs and constantly attack then know that you will be banned very quickly.
If these rules of engagement seem obnoxious to you, then this board probably is not for you. It is just best you leave now.
Any non-Christians who participate in discussions do so with an understanding moderators will be the judge of whether the line is crossed.

Be respectful and use good etiquette, and moderators will treat you the same without being quick to ban. That is, you can expect cautions will be issued if it is felt you are approaching the line; a warning to be issued when you have crossed the line (which may/may not involve a temporary ban); and a permanent ban if you persist.
The fact that you're still here is evidence of our patience.

You're trying it very much here. If you make an assertion and can't back it up then have the intellectual integrity to own up to having made an over-statement.

In the meantime, you'll have another message following shortly by PM.

bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
kevdog19
Recognized Member

Post by kevdog19 »

I didn't overstate I said in the book of job, Satan is a servant of god and in other areas it's an advesary. I never stated more then that. Atleast in one book of the bible Satan is atleast somewhat good doing what god commands. It seems like your putting words in my mouth like I said Satans portrayed as good throughout the whole bible, which I didn't.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

kevdog19 wrote:I didn't overstate I said in the book of job, Satan is a servant of god and in other areas it's an advesary. I never stated more then that. Atleast in one book of the bible Satan is atleast somewhat good doing what god commands. It seems like your putting words in my mouth like I said Satans portrayed as good throughout the whole bible, which I didn't.
For the 3rd time then, you offered to clarify, please do so. Can you quote within the book of Job any passage that supports your point?
kevdog19
Recognized Member

Post by kevdog19 »

Well I don't have a bible handy, but I am familiar with the book, and in it Satan is doing god's work.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

kevdog19 wrote:Well I don't have a bible handy, but I am familiar with the book, and in it Satan is doing god's work.

You're on a computer. You have a Bible Handy.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=NIV
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

You're on the net, we have logos software. The bible is handy. If you're familiar with the book it can't be that hard to produce a quotation.

*edit xpost*
kevdog19
Recognized Member

Post by kevdog19 »

Is Satan doing gods work in the book of Job or not? that's all I was stating.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

kevdog19 wrote:Is Satan doing gods work in the book of Job or not? that's all I was stating.
Satan does his own work, by God's allowance and restraint against going beyond the limits set. So no, Satan is not doing God's work and hasn't since his fall from heaven.

If you have evidence to show otherwise you've been given the tools. Please do a little digging and see if you can find otherwise or consider conceding the point.
kevdog19
Recognized Member

Post by kevdog19 »

Then I concede the point. I still believe Satan does good based on my own experience but you win the bible arguement, it's really not my strong point, I've only read the Torah, took extensive notes when I did, but that's as far as I got while I was at the mental institution.
CeT-To
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by CeT-To »

kevdog19 wrote:Then I concede the point. I still believe Satan does good based on my own experience but you win the bible arguement, it's really not my strong point, I've only read the Torah, took extensive notes when I did, but that's as far as I got while I was at the mental institution.
Any reason you did extensive studying on the Torah?

How come you were in a mental institution,kevin?
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
kevdog19
Recognized Member

Post by kevdog19 »

Because I'm not kidding I'm intrigued by the bible and kabbalah and I like true Christians.
I just lost it man, I was taking on to much of my unconcious mind at once, was hearing voices and letting multiple demons into my spirit at once (big no no, limit it to one at a time) I thought I could handle any kind of power and energy but it just became to much, I created an alter ego and it would ask me quistions and administer electric shocks when I lied, don't get me wrong, it soothed me when I told the truth. It took me a long time to put it back in the box.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Matthew 4:10, "Then Jesus said to him, "Away with you, Satan! For it is written, 'YOU SHALL WORSHIP THE LORD YOUR GOD, AND HIM ONLY YOU SHALL SERVE.' "

Deut 5:7, 8, 9, 'You shall have no other gods before Me. 8 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 9 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me..."

-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys