Could Jesus Accept someone like this?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Re: Could Jesus Accept someone like this?

Post by Byblos »

1over137 wrote:
jlay wrote: Mistakes are not sins. The bible says, that sin is transgression of the law. If a child messes up tying their shoes, are they sinning? No. Did Jesus look up from the manger at the wise men, and speak in perfect Aramaic? I doubt it.
What I wonder about is how the two following verses fit together:

John 2:3-4
3 When the wine ran out, the mother of Jesus said to Him, “They have no wine.” 4 And Jesus said to her, “Woman, what does that have to do with us? My hour has not yet come.”

Exodus 20:12
12 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the Lord your God gives you.

To quote some source: Such rudeness and irrelevance packed into one short statement!

Was it rude?
How was it rude? What did Jesus end up doing?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Maybe He could say: " Mother, ..."

To qoute some more from that source:
Such rudeness and irrelevance packed into one short statement! Of course, in that culture at that time, women, even those later to be considered to have been immaculately conceived, were, in the opinion of men at least, somewhat less than human; only slightly higher than the animals.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
SnowDrops
Established Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male

Post by SnowDrops »

1over137 wrote:
jlay wrote: Mistakes are not sins. The bible says, that sin is transgression of the law. If a child messes up tying their shoes, are they sinning? No. Did Jesus look up from the manger at the wise men, and speak in perfect Aramaic? I doubt it.
What I wonder about is how the two following verses fit together:

John 2:3-4
3 When the wine ran out, the mother of Jesus said to Him, “They have no wine.” 4 And Jesus said to her, “Woman, what does that have to do with us? My hour has not yet come.”

Exodus 20:12
12 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the Lord your God gives you.

To quote some source: Such rudeness and irrelevance packed into one short statement!

Was it rude?
Well, Jesus wouldn't think of her as His mother. He only has His Father in heaven. And that wasn't really rude, since, well, "it wasn't time yet". I suppose He waited so that everyone would see Him do it.
The first step to learning is to admit that you don't know.
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

Something to think about ~ saying "woman" plainly like that might be rude and sound condescending in our culture but was it in theirs?
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

When the writer of John choose to use "woman", the greek term "gyne", he didn't have any disrespect in mind, notice that even ad the end, in John 19:26 he uses it the same way.
As a matter of fact, he uses it alot, even to Mary by the Tomb.
I think John was trying to show that Jesus viewed all women the same way, with reverence and respect. Perhaps "lady" would have been better translated but since the greek term was applied to any woman of any age, that wouldn't have been correct per say.
I think this may be a case where someone is trying to make too much or read too much into something that isn't there.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

PaulSacramento wrote:When the writer of John choose to use "woman", the greek term "gyne", he didn't have any disrespect in mind, notice that even ad the end, in John 19:26 he uses it the same way.
Thanks Paul. I wrote this back to the author of the webpage I took the verse from John from and he wrote me back:
I have no idea nor do I care ...
That surprised me and I responded
Then I do not understand why you wrote at the bottom of the webpage:

"Maybe those with more biblical experience than I could add to them.
Or, perhaps, explain them away?"

"If you want to send us any questions, comments or advice, you can do so Right Here or later at: ...email..."

But if you do not care ... (Why you even cared to write the webpage?)

Goodbye.
People write something on their webpages and do not want to correct it. I do not understand. Well, I do, but ...
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

There are those that are on genuine searches for truth and then there are those that liek to point out what THEY think are the "mistakes and issues" of the bible and when their views are shown to be incorrect ( typically because their religious knowledge amounts to a google search), they shoot back with " Well, I really don't care either way".
Silly and pointless, but there you have it.
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

A little off-topic, but I saw someone post a 'list of 400 bible contradictions' once, thinking himself very smug and intelligent. When I took a random sampling of 10 of them and found (with minimal effort) that all of them were fake, some not even talking about the same topic, he basically responded with "Doesn't matter. The Bible is still wrong."

I can't imagine the response he'd have if I had the same lack of standards when it came to evidence. I find people like that aren't worth talking to, because clearly reason and evidence are not on the table when it comes to things to discuss.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Many critics of the bible simply "copy and paste" what they have found without doing any research to see how they have already been answered or shown to be incorrect.
I think that Vox Day calls them "low level atheists" or something like that.
I have noticed how many times the SAME criticisims keep being brought up over and over, no matter how many times they are shown to be inaccurate or even answered.
Some are warranted because the answer may not be "satisfactory", but the vast majority or just rehashes.