Coming to Christ: What to make of no spiritual experience

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
derrick09
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Coming to Christ: What to make of no spiritual experienc

Post by derrick09 »

Gman wrote: Just a note, many believers are extremely fearful of feelings, and that feelings have nothing to do with the Holy Spirit. But I disagree. There is type of joy that I believe is supernatural, and that can only come from God. And that joy can hit you at any time.. ;)

Got a quick question for you Gman, concerning this feeling of supernatural joy, what basically does it feel like? I ask that because the closet thing that I have experienced while praying or thinking about God has been a feeling that feels like a calm comfortable loving warmth. Is this basically what the Holy Spirit feels like or does feel like to many people? If not, what's different about your feeling compared to mine? I hope I'm not feeling a satanic feeling disguised as a feeling of love, warmth, and peace. But anyway, I'd like to know your thoughts. Thanks and God bless.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

catherine wrote:Hi folks. I wanted to tell you I have finally had a 'break through'. Since I last posted, I did my usual sulking, 'giving up' on God, doing my own thing, praying to God again, and thus the cycle continued. The last few months though, I earnestly prayed for help and I started to going to a 'New Frontiers' Church quite close to me. I also started getting up early and sitting quietly before God and NOT talking ie letting God actually get a word in for once. As soon as I started doing this, I sensed God was not far away, and helping me: certain scriputres came to mind that really helped me. I don't 'hear' a voice, I just imagine I'm outside 'heaven' and knocking on the door asking God to open the door and let me in. I know Jesus is the 'door' and so by spending this quiet time with Jesus and His Father, I am building a relationship with Them, by the power of the Holy Spirit. I've felt an 'excitement' since then, like food tastes better, the trees look brighter, love is in my heart. Three weeks ago I read a book 'LIfe in Spite of Myself' and it had a life changing effect on me. The author made me realise that it's not just enough to want a 'saviour'. Who wouldn't want saving? It's realising that Jesus must be your Lord as well, and so for the first time, I asked Jesus to not only be my Saviour, but also the Lord of my life. I relinquished my control of my life over to Him so that I can live His way, and not my way. So that was why I have struggled these past thirty odd years: 1) I'd wanted to hold on to parts of my life and keep control, 2) I didn't shut up long enough to 'hear' God and spend time quietly cultivating a relationship with Him. I praise God for His long suffering patience with me all these years and I can see how He has tried to steer me back to Him constantly but how I have had to learn the hard long way, but thank God the penny has finally dropped. Since I prayed that prayer after reading the book, I have not been sleeping very well, which is unusual for me. I can sleep for England, and so my time with God, in the morning, is harder to do, as I am tired most mornings. I hope my sleep gets back to normal, because it is wonderful to spend time quietly, in God's presence. What an honour! Heartfelt thanks to you guys for your prayers over the year and for anyone else who has been struggling like me, just keep asking God: a verse that came to mind during one of my first 'personal times' with God was Matt 7:7 '....the door will be opened'. Here was I imagining Jesus as the door, and this verse confirms that Jesus will open the way to God, IF we keep on asking and seeking. Oh, yes, I keep a journal of my time with God, so that I can write any verses down that come to mind, or any other things. One other thing, I have 'put aside' for now, my insatiable curiosity for all things doctrinal. I was caught in never ending cycles of doctrine based debates, that made me more confused and kept me from spending time with God. My priority at the moment, is building a strong relationship with God. I'm not going to worry about certain doctrines I don't understand but wait on God to eventually sort them out, in HIs time. God Bless you guys. Ah yes, I'm hoping to be baptised in the very near future. I can't wait. y>:D<
Praise the Lord! and Welcome :D

You have also blessed us as well!
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
catherine
Established Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by catherine »

B. W. wrote: Praise the Lord! and Welcome :D

-
-
-

Thanks so much B.W. God Bless. :wave:
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

catherine wrote:
B. W. wrote: Praise the Lord! and Welcome :D

-
-
-

Thanks so much B.W. God Bless. :wave:
Be more Blest too! and keep asking, seeking and knocking!
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

That's so AWESOME CATHERINE!! Praise to Him for your salvation and for your communion with God. I will pray for your sleep.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

catherine wrote:Hi folks. I wanted to tell you I have finally had a 'break through'. Since I last posted, I did my usual sulking, 'giving up' on God, doing my own thing, praying to God again, and thus the cycle continued. The last few months though, I earnestly prayed for help and I started to going to a 'New Frontiers' Church quite close to me. I also started getting up early and sitting quietly before God and NOT talking ie letting God actually get a word in for once. As soon as I started doing this, I sensed God was not far away, and helping me: certain scriputres came to mind that really helped me. I don't 'hear' a voice, I just imagine I'm outside 'heaven' and knocking on the door asking God to open the door and let me in. I know Jesus is the 'door' and so by spending this quiet time with Jesus and His Father, I am building a relationship with Them, by the power of the Holy Spirit. I've felt an 'excitement' since then, like food tastes better, the trees look brighter, love is in my heart. Three weeks ago I read a book 'LIfe in Spite of Myself' and it had a life changing effect on me. The author made me realise that it's not just enough to want a 'saviour'. Who wouldn't want saving? It's realising that Jesus must be your Lord as well, and so for the first time, I asked Jesus to not only be my Saviour, but also the Lord of my life. I relinquished my control of my life over to Him so that I can live His way, and not my way. So that was why I have struggled these past thirty odd years: 1) I'd wanted to hold on to parts of my life and keep control, 2) I didn't shut up long enough to 'hear' God and spend time quietly cultivating a relationship with Him. I praise God for His long suffering patience with me all these years and I can see how He has tried to steer me back to Him constantly but how I have had to learn the hard long way, but thank God the penny has finally dropped. Since I prayed that prayer after reading the book, I have not been sleeping very well, which is unusual for me. I can sleep for England, and so my time with God, in the morning, is harder to do, as I am tired most mornings. I hope my sleep gets back to normal, because it is wonderful to spend time quietly, in God's presence. What an honour! Heartfelt thanks to you guys for your prayers over the year and for anyone else who has been struggling like me, just keep asking God: a verse that came to mind during one of my first 'personal times' with God was Matt 7:7 '....the door will be opened'. Here was I imagining Jesus as the door, and this verse confirms that Jesus will open the way to God, IF we keep on asking and seeking. Oh, yes, I keep a journal of my time with God, so that I can write any verses down that come to mind, or any other things. One other thing, I have 'put aside' for now, my insatiable curiosity for all things doctrinal. I was caught in never ending cycles of doctrine based debates, that made me more confused and kept me from spending time with God. My priority at the moment, is building a strong relationship with God. I'm not going to worry about certain doctrines I don't understand but wait on God to eventually sort them out, in HIs time. God Bless you guys. Ah yes, I'm hoping to be baptised in the very near future. I can't wait. y>:D<
Sounds great Catherine!

I was wondering what happened to you and hoping you would return. Thanks for the update.

A very good insight: accepting Christ as saviour vs accepting Christ as Lord. I dare say a lot of Christians don't get this. It is all about what they get rather than just being still and being receptive of God. y>:D<
catherine
Established Member

Post by catherine »

B. W. wrote: Be more Blest too! and keep asking, seeking and knocking!
-
-
-
I will keep on seeking the Lord and drawing near to Him. :ebiggrin:
catherine
Established Member

Post by catherine »

zoegirl wrote:That's so AWESOME CATHERINE!! Praise to Him for your salvation and for your communion with God. I will pray for your sleep.
Thank you so much Zoe. God IS awesome. Thank you for your prayers fo my sleep. I'm really tired today and hope this doesn't go on much longer. y>:D<
catherine
Established Member

Post by catherine »

Kurieuo wrote: I was wondering what happened to you and hoping you would return. Thanks for the update.

A very good insight: accepting Christ as saviour vs accepting Christ as Lord. I dare say a lot of Christians don't get this. It is all about what they get rather than just being still and being receptive of God. y>:D<

Absolutely. I know that God was drawing me to Him all these years and it's amazing to think He has been patient with me and not cast me away from Him, even though I gave up on Him so many times. I know that I am finally developing a relationship with my Creator and that He isn't far from us at all. All praise and glory to our God. :wave:
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Blessings Catherine..

Perhaps one of my favorite verses in the Bible.. Jeremiah 29:13 y@};-
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
catherine
Established Member

Post by catherine »

Gman wrote:Blessings Catherine..

Brilliant verse Gman. I've got a poster in my kitchen with Jeremiah 29:11. I'd forgotten what was only a few verses along. :wave:
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

catherine wrote:
Gman wrote:Blessings Catherine..

Brilliant verse Gman. I've got a poster in my kitchen with Jeremiah 29:11. I'd forgotten what was only a few verses along. :wave:
Another of mine is John 10:28, 29 y@};-
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
catherine
Established Member

Post by catherine »

B. W. wrote:
Another of mine is John 10:28, 29 y@};-
-
-
-
Yes, they are wonderful verses that bring much comfort. Thanks B.W. :amen:
ChrisB
Established Member

Post by ChrisB »

Wow... I am happy for you catherine. Thank (and praise) God for your salvation... I will pray for your sleep too. I myself have'nt been seeking the Lord enough as of late, so thanks a lot for this. :)
"Materialists and madmen never have doubts." -G.K. Chesterton
catherine
Established Member

Post by catherine »

Samuel wrote: Wow... I am happy for you catherine. Thank (and praise) God for your salvation... I will pray for your sleep too. I myself have'nt been seeking the Lord enough as of late, so thanks a lot for this. :)
Hi Samuel, thank you so much for your encouragement and I greatly appreciate your prayers for my sleep. It' still disturbed. I've had to reduce my hours of work for the time being, as I'm so tired during the day. It's good we can encourage each other. I pray we daily seek the Lord.

God Bless

Catherine :sleep: (that's me tonight I hope). y>:D<