Advance Directives and DNR

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Advance Directives and DNR

Post by ageofknowledge »

I'm confused over the issue of advance directives and DNR. I very much do not want to persist on life support in a vegetative state or be among those poor creatures whose quality of life is worse than death nor do I wish to ruin my family financially in the process.

Damning my family and myself to abject poverty and a life worse than death is not something I wish for myself and those who have to make decisions when I began having heart attacks and serious problems related to my illness.

I'm very close to preparing advance directives and DNR and getting them on my medical records but am looking for Christian views on this to help me with my decision. I'd like Rich's views and your own views.
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Re: Advance Directives and DNR

Post by zoegirl »

I haven't done so, but I would't want to be in that state either. I don't think there is anything bad about that. There is a difference between pulling the plug and not having the plug in the first place.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

Those directives have different levels, I know that. So those things are up to you. I certainly wouldn't want to be kept alive like a vegetable either.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

Thanks. I'm figuring out the levels now.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

ageofknowledge wrote:Thanks. I'm figuring out the levels now.
Research and pray. My Mom, my sister, and I went through dnr in September when my Dad was in hospice care. My Mom didn't really like the idea at first until we really talked about it. I know it's not the same as planning ahead, but praying that God will lead you in the decision.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony