The Man From Earth

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
JohnnyDontDoIt
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

The Man From Earth

Post by JohnnyDontDoIt »

Hi.

Recently, I watched a low-budget movie titled The Man From Earth (2007) The movie has some semi-popular actors in it BTW.

Short summary--The movie depicts a 14000 year old man who is unable to age but gains knowledge along the way.

The twist--yeah, he happens to have been Jesus Christ. (Along with being friends with Colombus and Van Gogh in later years)

That man, aptly named John Oldman(get it?) claims that everything surrounded him was based off myths.

He claims (remember he's playing Jesus Christ) that he was merely a spiritual advisor who studied under Buddha (from ages 12-30) and tried to spread Buddhism to western culture. He also claimed that The Sermon on The Mount was just a 'talk on a hill with little followers' and that his temple started off as a school. Our protagonist also claims the virgin mary, the three wise men, walking on water, and even turning water to wine was pure myth. The main character says that he wasn't nailed to a cross but held by ropes, and that he didn't literally resurrect, but pretended like he was through some Buddhist meditation ritual. The main character also claims that Moses was mere myth based on old traditions as well.

The question I pose is--Is any of this stuff factual? Was it just pulled out of thin air? I really don't know. I searched for it but I couldn't find any answers on this site.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: The Man From Earth

Post by Kurieuo »

JohnnyDontDoIt wrote:The question I pose is--Is any of this stuff factual? Was it just pulled out of thin air? I really don't know. I searched for it but I couldn't find any answers on this site.
The 14000 year old man might be. :P
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

Hi johnny Don'tDoIt, welcome.
Short answer;
It's a movie.
It's not factual.
There is no evidence to support the theme.
Game over!
I am the wretch the song refers to.
harth1026
Familiar Member

Post by harth1026 »

This movie is obviously anti-Christian from your description. Was it at least entertaining? Sounds kinda boring.
JohnnyDontDoIt
Newbie Member

Post by JohnnyDontDoIt »

Yea, the movie was boring as God knows what. The acting was terrible.
The 14000 year old man might be.
Heh.

Yup, the movie had negative Christianity remarks. The movie takes shots at both Moses and Jesus. Moses took it the worst in The Man From Earth. TMFE claims he was nothing more than some hodge-podge of ancient myths. Moses had similarities to some elder pagan gods according to the movie. At least the movie acknowledges Jesus existed, but only Jesus was some teacher trying to spread Buddhism to the West; not the Son of God.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

JohnnyDontDoIt wrote:Yea, the movie was boring as God knows what. The acting was terrible.
The 14000 year old man might be.
Heh.

Yup, the movie had negative Christianity remarks. The movie takes shots at both Moses and Jesus. Moses took it the worst in The Man From Earth. TMFE claims he was nothing more than some hodge-podge of ancient myths. Moses had similarities to some elder pagan gods according to the movie. At least the movie acknowledges Jesus existed, but only Jesus was some teacher trying to spread Buddhism to the West; not the Son of God.
Sounds like the movie itself is a mixture of a lot of athiest rhetoric.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

JohnnyDontDoIt wrote:the movie acknowledges Jesus existed, but only Jesus was some teacher trying to spread Buddhism to the West; not the Son of God.
This is so silly that only housewives with Ph.D.'s in Doctor Phil are likely to believe it!

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
brandiejenn
Acquainted Member

Post by brandiejenn »

Once again we have man trying to impose his ideas about what God and Jesus are about. The whole idea that Jesus studied under budda is sad. I choose to believe my Bible. End of Story. I hope that you will not take the movie seriously. All movies that man has made about the Bible have some form of what man believes has happened. When it comes to your Faith in God Trust your Bible and your Heart. The Holy Spirit will lead you in the right direction.

God Bless

Bill
rstrats
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Post by rstrats »

brandiejenn,

re: “ I choose to believe my Bible.”

Are you by any chance implying that you have the ability to consciously CHOOSE to believe things?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

rstrats wrote:brandiejenn,

re: “ I choose to believe my Bible.”

Are you by any chance implying that you have the ability to consciously CHOOSE to believe things?
Please keep this favorite topic of yours to one thread rstrats, however you might be interested to read some of William James' The Will to Believe.