Considering Catholicism

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Considering Catholicism

Post by FFC »

Byblos wrote:
FFC wrote:I have a feeling that there are some Catholic churches that are better than others in regards to teaching the word and encouraging bible reading, just as is the case in any Christian church. Is that fair to say, Byblos?
I would agree that that is true of any Christian church regardless of denomination. It has been my experience though that masses, services (whatever they're called) are not the places where one learns about the Bible. During Christmas mass Monday evening, several verses were read from Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Paul's epistles, then the priest expounded on them in his homily but I was left with a sense of incompleteness because I wanted to ask questions and couldn't. Bible study nights, however, are certainly more educational and enlightening.
I agree! Byblos, were bible studies available years ago in the Catholic church, because it seems that most of my ex Catholic friends don't seem to remember bible study being stressed at all. Of course much of this can probably be attributed to the fact that they were not, by their own admissions, "Christians" back then. y:-?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

FFC wrote:I agree! Byblos, were bible studies available years ago in the Catholic church, because it seems that most of my ex Catholic friends don't seem to remember bible study being stressed at all. Of course much of this can probably be attributed to the fact that they were not, by their own admissions, "Christians" back then. y:-?
I don't know the answer to that. I do recall that I did have them from when I was young (too bad I didn't pay much attention back then) but then again, I grew up in an environment somewhat different than that of most Catholics.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Byblos wrote:
FFC wrote:I agree! Byblos, were bible studies available years ago in the Catholic church, because it seems that most of my ex Catholic friends don't seem to remember bible study being stressed at all. Of course much of this can probably be attributed to the fact that they were not, by their own admissions, "Christians" back then. y:-?
I don't know the answer to that. I do recall that I did have them from when I was young (too bad I didn't pay much attention back then) but then again, I grew up in an environment somewhat different than that of most Catholics.
...and that may be the magical element that sets you apart.. :incense:
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
KrisW
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by KrisW »

Byblos wrote:
KrisW wrote:You might want to also study Transsubstaniation.

I actually think the Catholics stumled onto something here in ralation to how the Holy Spirit acts on the mind of a Christian, but the way the Catholic church applies it to Communion is...well, quite frankly... ludicrious.
My turn: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead:

So, you do beleve than when one takes Communion the bread and wine LITTERALLY turns to the flesh and blood of Jesus?
When fascism come to America it will be wearing black robes and carrying the scales of Justice("but don't touch the oil or the wine")
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

KrisW wrote:So, you do beleve than when one takes Communion the bread and wine LITTERALLY turns to the flesh and blood of Jesus?
I've covered this topic many times and have no interest in doing so again publicly. Please do a search and if you still want to discuss it we can do so privately.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
KrisW
Recognized Member

Post by KrisW »

Well, I found this post of yours...

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... ion#p51403

Man...some Catholics can go on and on and say nothing....just like politicians.
When fascism come to America it will be wearing black robes and carrying the scales of Justice("but don't touch the oil or the wine")
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

KrisW wrote:Well, I found this post of yours...

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... ion#p51403

Man...some Catholics can go on and on and say nothing....just like politicians.
KrisW,

That's not a very constructive comment or attitude even where there is disagreement on an issue, don't you think?

Bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
KrisW
Recognized Member

Post by KrisW »

Please explain how comparing some Catholics to politicans is NOT constructive.

Especially when Catholics have been mixing their religion with politics since that church was created.
KrisW
Recognized Member

Post by KrisW »

Now Canuckster...please explain how this constitutes "comabtive behavior" and arguing over the spelling of "neutrino" does not.
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

No one blasted you for your mispelling of neutrinos. If you go back, only one post even remotely can be taken as an tease and you neglected to clarify this. It is only you who have made an issue of this!! Get over it!!
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

:amen:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

KrisW wrote:Please explain how comparing some Catholics to politicans is NOT constructive.

Especially when Catholics have been mixing their religion with politics since that church was created.
Kris... Com'on that was a low blow. Wise up... If you want to pick on Catholics, maybe you should find another forum.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

KrisW wrote:Man...some Catholics can go on and on and say nothing....just like politicians.
And yet you keep voting for them (politicians, of course). :roll:

On a more serious note, I am more than willing to have this debate with you on the Lord's Supper, only privately though. I will PM you my e-mail address so we can do it off the board completely (sort of no holds barred). If that's ok with you get your scripture lined up and let me know when you're ready.

Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Man from the Neptune wrote:I am not sure if this is the right forum to put this on but I have been carefully considering becoming Catholic. I have studied some of it and I was curious what your advice would be,
My advice would be to read some good books which compare the doctrines of Roman Catholicism vs. Protestantism.

The Roman Catholic Controversy (Paperback)
by James White (Author)

The Gospel According to Rome (Paperback)
by James G. McCarthy

Until you know what Roman Catholicism really teaches and what Protestantism has to say about it, will not be able to make an intelligent decision.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Christian2 wrote:
Man from the Neptune wrote:I am not sure if this is the right forum to put this on but I have been carefully considering becoming Catholic. I have studied some of it and I was curious what your advice would be,
My advice would be to read some good books which compare the doctrines of Roman Catholicism vs. Protestantism.

The Roman Catholic Controversy (Paperback)
by James White (Author)

The Gospel According to Rome (Paperback)
by James G. McCarthy

Until you know what Roman Catholicism really teaches and what Protestantism has to say about it, will not be able to make an intelligent decision.
I agree that he needs to learn what Roman Catholicism really teaches but I doubt he will get that from 2 books written by evangelical authors (I haven't read the books but I did read critiques of them).

If you want to learn what Catholicism teaches I would suggest you ask a Catholic. Once you do that then you can look at what others say about Catholicism and determine whether or not it is right for you.