What makes you believe?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.

How many times have you seriously considerd leaving Christianity?

Once.
50%
Twice.
No votes
Three.
10%
Four or more.
40%
I'm not a Christian.
No votes

Total votes: 10

onfiringsquad
Newbie Member

What makes you believe?

Post by onfiringsquad »

I come from a very conservative Baptist background. Recently I have been having doubts with Christianity. I have witnessed to many people, but most reject; often times they argue even when I don't, and they make great points. So, I must ask you Christians; why do you believe?
godslanguage

Post by godslanguage »

Simple, it is logical to believe :D
"Is it possible that God is not just an Engineer, but also a divine Artist who creates at times solely for His enjoyment? Maybe the Creator really does like beetles." RTB
onfiringsquad
Newbie Member

Post by onfiringsquad »

That's what Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims, and Jews say. How so?
Please convert me!
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by puritan lad »

onfiringsquad,

There are many different directions that we can go here. It might be helpful if you would post specific "points" that others have made to you that have cuased you to doubt.
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
YLTYLT
Established Member

Post by YLTYLT »

It seems as if there is an option missing in the poll.

shouldn't "Never seriouly considered." be another option?
:? :o :D :wink:
YLTYLT
Established Member

Post by YLTYLT »

onfiringsquad,

I would be curious as to what approach you are using to witness to people. Certain approaches that people have been using for the past few generations have definite flaws (for instance the incorrect Wealth and Health approach as a reason to accept Christ.) that are always open to arguements that cannot be answered with scripture.
godslanguage

Post by godslanguage »

I would have to agree with Puritan Lad

Having "doubts" about Christianity can also be related to "leaving" Christianity. But not necessarily both, we all have doubts about Christianity at some point, what that could mean, is nothing. If you are a true believer and have honestly accepted the holy spirit in you at some point, you may leave Christianity but the holy spirit will never leave you!
"Is it possible that God is not just an Engineer, but also a divine Artist who creates at times solely for His enjoyment? Maybe the Creator really does like beetles." RTB
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

For me I believe because God opened my spiritual eyes and heart and I just knew it was true. 30 years later I still do. I couldn't back anything up then because I knew next to nothing, and I can't, positively without a shadow of a doubt, back everything now either, but I'll still take God at His word over any of the jaded and unbelieving skeptics any day of the week.

I believe God and take Him at His word. We are called to walk by faith and not by sight. It is cool to have evidence, and there is a lot out there, but all the evidence in the world isn't going to change an unbelieving heart. Only God can do that.

That's my opinion anyway. :wink:
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
andyredeemed
Recognized Member
Christian: No

doubts about christianity

Post by andyredeemed »

I have often wondered what on earth I've been thinking of for the last twenty years...when it's difficult and I start counting the cost, I really do struggle. On the other hand, when things really are hard, like six years ago when my wife and I had a stillborn child, God drew close in such a real, intimate way, that I don't think I could ever just forget about Him. I don't have evidence that I can point to, or documents or arguments, all I know is what God has done for me, and how much I have depended on Him. It probably isn't very convincing and maybe I am the worst kind of advert for Christianity, having no significant education or towering intellect, but Christianity is a relationship, not a religion, not a theology and certainly not a science.
God is good
acrossandasong
Newbie Member

Post by acrossandasong »

i've seen people come and go in Christianity and i think that most peoples biggest problem is that they come to God because they want something and when they dont get it right away they give up. :roll: but i believe in God because i've seen what he does for those who stick with him and who are obedient/ i agree that Christianity is a relationship not just a religion and those who are truely saved know that there is a God because you can feel him and you know he's there and you can see where he is working in your life. you know God because he changes you. and that is why i believe, because i have been changed :wink:
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by puritan lad »

acrossandasong wrote:i think that most peoples biggest problem is that they come to God because they want something and when they dont get it right away they give up. :roll:
You nailed this one. If we refuse to let the sinner know about the wrath of God on the unbeliever, we have not preached the gospel. All too often, we attempt to get people to the altar by promising remedies for their temporal problems, rather that redemption from their sin. We then prescribe some sort of 3 or 4 step program that the need to follow to "get saved". They follow the program, and think they are saved because of it.
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

Love to read everybody's posting...what an amazing "cloud of witnesses". My sympathies to you Andyredeemed for your loss of your child.

Also agree with YLTYLT with the missing option...kind of leading, isn't it?

I would be "never seriously considered". There have been time where, like Paul, I have prayed for the thorn removed. 8 years ago I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and hospitalized for a week. Periods of relapses where your body, your immune system, essentially rebels! Just recovering from a relapse now. The wondeful thing about a relationship with Christ is that He wants us to give everything to Him, including our grief, out pain, our frustration. The Psalms provide many examples where the writers as pouring out their angst, their anger, and yet they end with their acknowledgement of God and His position in their lives.

Why do I continue to believe? God has provided His grace and that is sufficient for me.
j316
Established Member

Post by j316 »

acrossandasong wrote:i've seen people come and go in Christianity and i think that most peoples biggest problem is that they come to God because they want something and when they dont get it right away they give up. :roll: but i believe in God because i've seen what he does for those who stick with him and who are obedient/ i agree that Christianity is a relationship not just a religion and those who are truely saved know that there is a God because you can feel him and you know he's there and you can see where he is working in your life. you know God because he changes you. and that is why i believe, because i have been changed :wink:
I completely agree with this statement and I find that the longer I stay in this relationship the less important anything other than it becomes. It is totally sufficient and totally binding.
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

onfiringsquad wrote:That's what Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims, and Jews say. How so?
onfiringsquad,

I would like to see another religion where God dies for his followers... I would like to see another religion where the love of all mankind is the centerpiece of it's faith... I would like to see another religion where salvation in NOT obtained by good works but by faith alone...

Just some food for thought... :wink:

G -
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

This verse has always popped into my mind whenever I have entertained the passing thought of whether it was all worth it. It always brings things into perspective for me.
John 6:68 Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?