Marijuana and God

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Marijuana
Newbie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:40 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Marijuana and God

#1

Post by Marijuana » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:45 pm

Is it right or wrong? I need a more detailed answer than the article on this website thanks.

RoyLennigan
Recognized Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:13 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Marijuana and God

#2

Post by RoyLennigan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:06 pm

Marijuana wrote:Is it right or wrong? I need a more detailed answer than the article on this website thanks.
There are many people who have been using cannabis for thousands of years to get closer to god. But there are also many people who feel that a pure and non-toxicated body brings them closer to divine life.

My advice is to do whatever makes you feel the best within the balance of mental and physical health. In other words, sometimes it is alright to relax your mind if you become stressed or blinded by monotonous activity. But overuse will clog the body. You need to maintain physical health as well--because it directly affects your mental health.

User avatar
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1491
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:44 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Stuarts Draft, VA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

#3

Post by puritan lad » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:54 am

The main problem with those who want to legalize it is that they worship it as an idol. They are obsessed with it's use. Legal or illegal, they are practicing wickedness.
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/

RoyLennigan
Recognized Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:13 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#4

Post by RoyLennigan » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:02 pm

puritan lad wrote:The main problem with those who want to legalize it is that they worship it as an idol. They are obsessed with it's use. Legal or illegal, they are practicing wickedness.
This is simply not true. You say this because of your own inhibitions, not because of what you have observed. Yes, there are many who worship it and by doing so they degrade their lives. But for the most part, the people who use cannabis and have been using it do so just as you or I might eat chocolate.

By the way, chocolate is a mind-altering drug as well.

And who's to say that they are "practicing wickedness"?

IRQ Conflict
Senior Member
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:01 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: AB. Canada
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#5

Post by IRQ Conflict » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:46 pm

1 Corinthians 6-19,20

19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

I don't know how much more detailed you need this to be? :?

User avatar
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1491
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:44 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Stuarts Draft, VA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

#6

Post by puritan lad » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:57 am

RoyLennigan wrote:But for the most part, the people who use cannabis and have been using it do so just as you or I might eat chocolate.
First of all, those who use it today are committing a crime, and that in and of itself makes it wicked.

Second, those who want to make it legal do so in order to satisfy their own vain desires. Otherwise, cannabis laws wouldn't mean so much to them.

Granted, if it were a legal substance in the civil arena, there may be some debate as to whether or not it's use is sinful. However, you know as well as I do that the pro-hemp advocates aren't interested in obedience to God. For them, cannabis is an obsession. It is the very thing that drives their worldview, and they cannot rest until they are able to partake of this stuff without fear of civil authorities.

Yes, it is idolatry and wickedness.
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/

FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Posts: 1684
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:11 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#7

Post by FFC » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:11 pm

If it was legalized and regulated like any other FDS approved drug than I see no problem with it being prescribed. How other people would misuse it shouldn't hurt the ones who really need it.

Whoops...meant to say FDA. :oops: I swear I'm not taking medicinal Marijuana.
Last edited by FFC on Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?

IRQ Conflict
Senior Member
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:01 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: AB. Canada
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#8

Post by IRQ Conflict » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:53 pm

In Canada it is a legal medicinal drug (we have farms for it here), however like any other drug, it can and does get abused. Any mind altering drug I believe to be wrong.

Isa 28:7 But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment.

RoyLennigan
Recognized Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:13 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#9

Post by RoyLennigan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:29 pm

puritan lad wrote:
RoyLennigan wrote:But for the most part, the people who use cannabis and have been using it do so just as you or I might eat chocolate.
First of all, those who use it today are committing a crime, and that in and of itself makes it wicked.
I'm sure there are some things in US law that go against the bible. If so, which would you say is the higher authority? Would you fight against the government to change the law so it allows for (at least) christians to be under God's law instead?

Besides, what if I live in British Columbia?
puritan lad wrote:Second, those who want to make it legal do so in order to satisfy their own vain desires. Otherwise, cannabis laws wouldn't mean so much to them.
Yes, that lazy old woman with cancer who can't eat and is in constant pain is certainly vain by trying to make cannabis legal :roll:

It is also 'vain desire' for those who stereotypically antagonize and persecute users of certain substances. They do more harm to those they discriminate against than the discriminatees do to them.
puritan lad wrote:Granted, if it were a legal substance in the civil arena, there may be some debate as to whether or not it's use is sinful. However, you know as well as I do that the pro-hemp advocates aren't interested in obedience to God. For them, cannabis is an obsession. It is the very thing that drives their worldview, and they cannot rest until they are able to partake of this stuff without fear of civil authorities.
I know very many christians who smoke weed. It does not lessen their faith to God or Christ, in fact, I would say it strengthens it. I think it is crude and unchristian for you to label such people as you did without even knowing them. Your harsh and unforgiving words make me think that it is they who are more worthy of Christ's love than you.
puritan lad wrote:Yes, it is idolatry and wickedness.

Did not God say to make no graven images of him? Do you not idolize him as a man on a cross? or as an old white guy with a beard? Do you not idolize so many aspects of your own beliefs? What is the difference? God made cannabis, after all.

User avatar
Gman
Old School
Posts: 6081
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 10:36 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Northern California
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

#10

Post by Gman » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:49 pm

Hold the phone here guys... Marijuana isn't exactly as harmless as you may think..

Dr. Robert L. DuPont, former director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse in the United States, who in the past was quoted as minimizing danger from marijuana, more stated: "The real issue is the health danger posed by this epidemic [of marijuana use by the younger generation], danger of at least two kinds.

1. One is the effects of the intoxication, ranging from the hazardous impact on driving to caring less about everything.

2. The other area is purely physical. Here the concerns range from the regular occurrence of chronic bronchitis among marijuana users to the very real possibilities of harmful hormonal effects, effects on the immune system and possibly even cancer."-Montreal Gazette.

As for me, a former pot smoker myself, I had an extreme case of chronic bronchitis in which I was on medication for weeks to cure. God only knows what damage that smoke did to my lungs..

Science Digest also provided these details: "Regular marijuana puffing may, in the long run, widen the gaps between nerve endings in the brain that are necessary for such vital functions as memory, emotion and behavior. In order for nerves to perform their functions, they must communicate between themselves." Then, commenting on the results of tests involving animals, the article continues: "The most marked effects occurred in the septal region, associated with emotions; the hippocampus, concerned with memory formation; and the amygdala, responsible for certain behavioral functions."

Alcohol is a food and is metabolized by the body to provide energy; the end products are disposed of by the body. However, a psycho pharmacologist said: "Marijuana is a very potent drug, and the biggest mistake we make is comparing it to alcohol." "Molecule for molecule, THC [in marijuana] is thousands of times stronger than alcohol in its ability to produce mild intoxication. . . THC is removed slowly from the body, and many months are required to recover from its effects."

God knows how we are made, and his Word permits moderate use of alcoholic beverages. (Ps.104:15; 1 Tim. 5:23) But he also strongly condemns immoderate consumption of alcohol, just as he condemns gluttony.-Prov. 23:20, 21; 1 Cor. 6:9, 10. PL was right here...

Simply put we should stay away from smoking marijuana use..

HOWEVER with all of this said, in some cases, in a controlled environment and with doctor supervision, I don't see why it can't be used for medical treatments.. There are many other drugs on the market that have the same affect as marijuana anyways.. But if we were to do this right, it should NOT be smoked... Period. That smoke is full of toxins and it can cause the same damage to your lungs as smoking a cigarette...

Just my two cents... :wink:
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8

User avatar
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 956
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:23 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Location: New Zealand
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time
Contact:

#11

Post by Judah » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:50 pm

In response to RoyLennigan's post above...

I write from a Christian worldview that acknowledges there is a Supreme Being who is our Creator and to whom we are beholden for our existence and continued well being. Our knowledge of Him comes from many avenues but principally from revelation in Scripture and the life of Jesus who is the human expression of God. From this perspective I add the following to this discussion.

God's law is always the highest authority. There is none other that is higher. Christians are to obey the law of the land, but should that put one in conflict with God's law, then obedience to God's law takes precedence. The Christian is always under God's law. That remains true wherever in the world one happens to live, including British Columbia. Yes, a Christian may be politically active to work to bring national laws more in line with God's overarching laws. Many indeed are so.

There are already a range of highly effective pain relief medications available. Marijuana is one that is not legal in many countries, but it's legalization for medical purposes would give one additional option alongside many legal ones that already exist. All drugs have risks as well as advantages, and these need to be weighed up carefully in their prescription. Marijuana adds risks that have to be considered in proportion to whatever advantages it may offer, and given the range of other drugs already available, these risks are not seen to outweigh overall any additional advantages it may have.
It is also 'vain desire' for those who stereotypically antagonize and persecute users of certain substances. They do more harm to those they discriminate against than the discriminatees do to them.
Protecting others from harm is often seen as patronizing and interferring by those who don't want that protection, but the reality often is that harm does occur and that others get to pay the cost - such as the citizen who, abiding by the law, suffers from the actions of those who have just broken it. We do not live in isolation from each other, and the actions of one invariably affects another. It is a matter of finding a balance between safeguarding citizens from the actions of others (and any self-harming ones of their own) and allowing freedom of choice. It may well be far more harmful to put no obstacle before those who would take a particular action than it is to try and stop them. Also, the cry of discrimination is frequently heard these days by those who would renounce responsibility for any harmful consequences to others in the pursuit of ill-considered self gratification. Discrimination occurs constantly, and often for the good of everyone. If we do not discriminate, then we can make no proper decisions at all.
I know very many christians who smoke weed. It does not lessen their faith to God or Christ, in fact, I would say it strengthens it. I think it is crude and unchristian for you to label such people as you did without even knowing them. Your harsh and unforgiving words make me think that it is they who are more worthy of Christ's love than you.
If smoking weed is a sin, then it goes without saying that those Christians you know are committing a sin. Where smoking it is illegal, then it is a sin by definition in that we are to abide by the law of the land where it does not transgress God's law. I have seen a lot of damage done by the smoking of weed and any self-harm is in opposition to God's will for His dearly loved children. I doubt very much that such an activity strengthens Christian faith. The strengthening of Christian faith comes through living according to God's will and by the grace of the Holy Spirit. It has nothing to do with weed. Indeed, weed may give one the false impression of wellbeing and peace which is not God-given at all. That some Christians do something certainly does not make it right. Sin is defined by God, not by ourselves. None of us are worthy of Christ's love - not one of us, weed smoking or not. We receive it solely by the goodness and grace of God, by His mercy, not by any doing on our part.

Speaking of God's will for us as Christians may make a Christian sound harsh and unforgiving, but that is a reaction possibly arising from indignation and guilt (if it "struck a cord" so to speak). God rebukes those who offend, and it is His words that are heard - His words found in Scripture and spoken aloud. Christians are to hold each other to account, and we do so in love such that we may be reminded of our need for repentance and forgiveness from God. It certainly isn't comfortable, but it is vital to spiritual growth.
Did not God say to make no graven images of him? Do you not idolize him as a man on a cross? or as an old white guy with a beard? Do you not idolize so many aspects of your own beliefs? What is the difference? God made cannabis, after all.
Images are ways of beholding God - such as art, poetry, music, and even our simple thoughts that we have of God. How we conceive of Him in our minds naturally make use of images. These are not what is meant by idols. An idol is a false god, something that is put up and worshipped (or held in utmost importance) instead of God. It is important to be clear about the object of worship - the piece of wood and plaster, or beyond that, the reality that is God Himself. I personally don't know any Christian who worships a piece of wood and plaster, nor do I know one who believes God is "an old white guy with a beard". You made mention earlier of stereotypes, but here you revert to one that is archaic and totally unworthy. Michelangelo created some wonderful works of art, but he did not create God Himself. Most Christians are quite clear about that.

Yes, God created the cannabis plant. But please show me where in Scripture He said we were to smoke it. He also created hemlock. :shock:

Vassal
Newbie Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:47 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#12

Post by Vassal » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:25 pm

RoyLennigan wrote:
puritan lad wrote:
RoyLennigan wrote:But for the most part, the people who use cannabis and have been using it do so just as you or I might eat chocolate.
First of all, those who use it today are committing a crime, and that in and of itself makes it wicked.
I'm sure there are some things in US law that go against the bible. If so, which would you say is the higher authority? Would you fight against the government to change the law so it allows for (at least) Christians to be under God's law instead?

Besides, what if I live in British Columbia?
Titus 3:1-2 wrote:1 Remind the believers to submit to the government and its officers. They should be obedient, always ready to do what is good. 2 They must not slander anyone and must avoid quarreling. Instead, they should be gentle and show true humility to everyone.
Nowhere do I remember God specifically ordering people to smoke marijuana, so if the law says it is illegal then it is sinful to do so.
puritan lad wrote:Second, those who want to make it legal do so in order to satisfy their own vain desires. Otherwise, cannabis laws wouldn't mean so much to them.
Yes, that lazy old woman with cancer who can't eat and is in constant pain is certainly vain by trying to make cannabis legal :roll:

It is also 'vain desire' for those who stereotypically antagonize and persecute users of certain substances. They do more harm to those they discriminate against than the discriminates do to them.
No one is persecuting users of marijuana here, we're just pointing out the facts because Marijuana asked whether smoking it is wrong from a biblical point a view. Sure, it can be used for medical purposes, but I highly doubt that is what he was asking. The fact is that marijuana is harmful to your mind and body. You can't be an effective example of Christ if you're high and out of touch with reality. Drugs are addictive and cause people to constantly seek out their next “fix”. While marijuana may not be the most addictive drug out there, I don't see any benefit from any degree of this type of behavior.
puritan lad wrote:Granted, if it were a legal substance in the civil arena, there may be some debate as to whether or not its use is sinful. However, you know as well as I do that the pro-hemp advocates aren't interested in obedience to God. For them, cannabis is an obsession. It is the very thing that drives their worldview, and they cannot rest until they are able to partake of this stuff without fear of civil authorities.
I know very many Christians who smoke weed. It does not lessen their faith to God or Christ, in fact, I would say it strengthens it. I think it is crude and unchristian for you to label such people as you did without even knowing them. Your harsh and unforgiving words make me think that it is they who are more worthy of Christ's love than you.
http://www.nida.nih.gov/ResearchReports/Marijuana/Marijuana3.html wrote:Heavy marijuana use impairs a person's ability to form memories, recall events, and shift attention from one thing to another. THC also disrupts coordination and balance by binding to receptors in the cerebellum and basal ganglia, parts of the brain that regulate balance, posture, coordination of movement, and reaction time.
How is a drug that causes such effects going to help you grow closer to God? If you want to grow in your faith then study the Bible and pray, for starters. If you honestly think there is anything good that can come from smoking drugs then you are in serious denial and need to get yourself to a rehabilitation center immediately. I'm sorry if that sounds cruel, but telling someone that using illegal drugs will help them grow closer to God is much, much worse.
puritan lad wrote:Yes, it is idolatry and wickedness.

Did not God say to make no graven images of him? Do you not idolize him as a man on a cross? or as an old white guy with a beard? Do you not idolize so many aspects of your own beliefs? What is the difference? God made cannabis, after all.
The real intent of the 'no idols' command was because people in biblical times often worshiped idols and thought there was more than one God. This doesn't happen much today but people still idolize different things, such as fame and wealth, not by bowing down of making offerings to them, but by making them the goal of their life. The cross is nothing more than a symbol and reminder of what God did for us. Worshiping the cross itself wouldn't be any different than worshiping a Nazi gas chamber, because that's what the cross was, a killing machine. Mental images, on the other hand, are pretty much necessary because of how we think. God is a spirit, which is something we can't understand because it is outside what we can observe, so we compare what we know about God to things that we do understand. How you do that doesn't really matter too much as long as you understand that God isn't a physical being.

While there is nothing inherently wrong with churches having elaborate artwork, the church I attend has no images of any kind, primarily because they cost money and serve no real purpose. Creating works of art just isn't an efficient use of time and money, but giving to those in need is a very powerful way to share God with someone (Mark 9:41, Matthew 25:34-40). God himself doesn't want your money (Matthew 15:4-6) nor does he need you to create works of art in his honor (Psalms 19:1). Each person has a responsibility to use what they have been given responsibly. If you are giving something, specifically money, to a person or organization that obviously isn't making good use of it, then are you really helping anyone?

User avatar
Gman
Old School
Posts: 6081
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 10:36 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Northern California
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

#13

Post by Gman » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:13 am

Whoa.... Nicely put there Vassal.... Good work.. :wink:
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8

User avatar
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Posts: 1654
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:11 pm
Christian: No
Location: Calgary
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#14

Post by bizzt » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:51 am

IRQ Conflict wrote:In Canada it is a legal medicinal drug (we have farms for it here), however like any other drug, it can and does get abused. Any mind altering drug I believe to be wrong.

Isa 28:7 But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment.
You can say Morphine is mind Altering. Some people don't know if they are coming or going :shock:

User avatar
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1491
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:44 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Stuarts Draft, VA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

#15

Post by puritan lad » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:48 am

I'm sure there are some things in US law that go against the bible. If so, which would you say is the higher authority? Would you fight against the government to change the law so it allows for (at least) christians to be under God's law instead?
Does God have a law that says that we are to use cannabis? I wasn't aware of that one :) .
Yes, that lazy old woman with cancer who can't eat and is in constant pain is certainly vain by trying to make cannabis legal

It is also 'vain desire' for those who stereotypically antagonize and persecute users of certain substances. They do more harm to those they discriminate against than the discriminatees do to them.
Why doesn't that “lazy old woman” use legal drugs that doctors can prescribe for her pain, drugs that will be far more effective?
I know very many christians who smoke weed. It does not lessen their faith to God or Christ, in fact, I would say it strengthens it. I think it is crude and unchristian for you to label such people as you did without even knowing them. Your harsh and unforgiving words make me think that it is they who are more worthy of Christ's love than you.
No, you know of many “professed” Christians who smoke weed. They do not know God, because they live a life in violation His commandments and commit Crimes against God's ministers of good (Romans 13:10-4). They have no fear in Him whatsoever.

I would suggest repentance, so that you may escape the wrath of God. That, however may be to “harsh” and “judgmental” for you and yours. Worshipping dope seems to remove many of God's attributes, particularly his wrath.
It does not lessen their faith to God or Christ, in fact, I would say it strengthens it.
That about says it all. Too bad the apostles and prophets weren't aware of this faith building exercise :lol: :lol: :lol:
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/

Post Reply