Does Jesus Marriage Negate His Deity

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
waynes world
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by waynes world »

I am not sure either but I was reacting to what someone else said. I don't think he has a problem with Jesus being married. I know thats tradition that he never married, but the scriptures never say one way or the other. At least I have never found any verse anywhere that says that Jesus was single. I believe the Catholic priesthood idea of not marrying is related to Jesus not marrying. But again thats tradition, and not necessairly what the Bible says. Either way Jesus is still divine.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Josh McDowell would never say such a thing... He's even more conservative than Jerry Falwell...

Christ's soul purpose on this earth was to become a living sacrifice for our sins.. Not to go around the planet getting married and having kids as the Mormons would have us believe... Most of those gnostic fables were written well after the facts...

Just a thought.

G -
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I would be pretty surprised if McDowell made those comments. Not that he couldn't. It just seems inconsistent with what I know of his writings.

There is no indication of Christ's having been married anywhere in canonical scripture. It would be rather presumptuous to assume otherwise.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
waynes world
Established Member

Post by waynes world »

But we don't know that Jesus was single. Like I said thats just tradition. He may well have been but we don't know. I think the point McDowell probably had in mind was that whether or not Jesus was married he was still divine. Marriage doesn't affect Jesus divine nature. I would have a hard time with Jesus marrying Mary Magdeline given her reputation. Jesus' wife if he had one would have to have been a special person.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Here is Josh McDowell's refute of that claim in a podcast. In fact he even wrote a book about it called "The Da Vinci Code: A Quest for Answers"

http://davinci.thelife.com/2006/06/04/p ... -of-jesus/

Hope this helps..

G -

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
waynes world
Established Member

Post by waynes world »

I didn't see anything. However, married or not, Jesus is still the Son of God who died for us and paid the penalty for our sins. I hope there is agreement on that! I am sure Josh would agree on that. He is a big defender of Jesus being God.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Wayne,

If you listen to the full podcast you will get the message... I don't want to spend much more time on this because I think there are more interesting things to talk about than this, (like the beattitudes or what Jesus said throughout the bible) but I will have a go at this...

As far as Jesus getting married, if people really believe that, I can see only three reasons for it..

1. Jesus wanted to have sex.
2. Jesus just wanted to be married to be close to a woman for companionship (and not have any children).
3. Jesus wanted to have children.

I don't think number one would be a reason. Would you? Since God created sex I don't think there would be any reason for him to experience sex. So let's rule out 1., ok? That leaves us with two choices. I don't think number 2 would really be valid here either. I think it raises more questions than answers.. Here are some problems with that..

1. If Jesus knew that he was going to die, why would he get married before his death?
2. Why would God have a desire to be married to a woman whom he created? Since God made man and women after his own image, is he lacking in anything?
3. Didn't Jesus get companionship from his followers as well? Was he really lacking in companionship? What about the angels that visited him? Was Jesus God or wasn't he?

Ok, I think we can rule out 2 here too.. Would you agree to this? That leaves us with number 3. Now 3 perhaps is the most plausilbe answer here. But this raises questions here too...

1. What is Jesus's motive for having children? Perhaps he wanted to spread his bloodline? Why would he want to spread his bloodline through children? Why can't the family of Christ be spiritual instead of physical as is says throughout the bible? What is the need (use) of a physical family? Does God not trust the spiritual family? Why would he change that message now?
2. If Jesus knew that he was going to die, why would he have children? Again, was he lacking in companionship? If not, the ONLY reason would be for this crazy bloodline.
3. There is NO scriptural proof of this bloodline. If there is, where is it?

Here is one such example of how Jesus thinks of his physical family compared to his spiritual family.. Matt 12: 46-50. They were viewed as the same.. If they are the same, then why is there the need for a physical bloodline family on this earth?

Matt 12: 46-50

46 While he was yet speaking to the multitudes, behold, his mother and his brothers stood outside, seeking to speak to him.

47 One said to him, "Behold, your mother and your brothers stand outside, seeking to speak to you."

48 But he answered him who spoke to him, "Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?"

49 He stretched out his hand towards his disciples, and said, "Behold, my mother and my brothers!

50 For whoever does the will of my Father who is in heaven, he is my brother, and sister, and mother."

Anyways, to me this whole topic, in my view, degrades Christ (and his role to the spiritual family) and tries to put him on a human level of understanding. Like he was just like us... That he just wanted to have sex like us, that he just wanted a family like us, or that we wanted to run a business and work for his family just like us.. I think people forget the he was GOD ALMIGHTLY and should be worshiped as such... Instead don't you think we should understand his role as a savior to mankind and not a savior to himself fulfilling his own desires? I also think it is very dangerous to put God on our level.. Did you know that most people in the Old Testement were absolutely TERRIFIED to be in the presence of God?

These so called "scholars" outside the bible don't know anything about the Bible or don't even care about what it says either... They just try to degrade God's message with nonsense with Jesus's ancestry running around the planet, like he really needs that or something... Instead, they turn the whole message of God into a big joke and try to define the whole message on their own (human) terms.. It really saddens me... A joking Jesus... A common guy with common problems living in his common world...

I've also lost a lot of respect for Ron Howard and Tom Hanks too... Trying to make a fast buck at God's expense... I don't think I'll watch another one of their cheap movies again.

That's my take on this.. No offense to the rest... I guess I'm getting more upset in my older age...

Take care,

G -