Re-populating the earth

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Anonymous

Re-populating the earth

Post by Anonymous »

I am having difficulty with Genesis...

God creates Adam and Eve.
Human population on the Earth = 2

Adam and Eve give birth to Cain and Abel
Human population on Earth = 4

Cain murders his brother Abel
Human population on Earth = 3
(Adam, Eve and Cain)

It seems like the only way for the human race to multiply is through Eve. So either Adam must have impregnated Eve once more to have a daughter (Which Cain or Adam would of had to impregnate) or Cain must have impregnated his own mother in order to have a sister (Which Cain or Adam would of had to impregnate) to give birth in place of Eve. How do you know which option occured if the bible does not state it?

And either option would be propigating within family - Which is pretty gross.

The same problem occurs again after Noah's flood!

It clearly states in the bible that the flood wipped out all life other then that which was inside the Ark. After the flood, all the animals propigated - ok no problem there. The problem appears when one comes to consider the fact that Noah only had sons! How could the human population re-populate itself through only men? Did they too impregnate their own mother? The bible doesnt take any other account of Noah having a daughter.

SO HOW DID HUMANS RE-POPULATE THE EARTH?!
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Hi Nevermind,

I'm guessing you're looking for an evangelical Christian response? It's not really that hard when one reads more carefully. For Cain's wife, there is a reasonably good article over at Reasons to Believe on this:
The first step in the solution of this problem is to recognize that Adam and Eve had many more children than Cain, Abel, and Seth. Genesis 5:4 says that "after Seth was born, Adam lived 800 years," and it also tells us that "he had other sons and daughters." In fact, the genealogy of Genesis 5 records that every descendant of Adam down to Lamech had "other sons and daughters."

Finding a Wife for Cain - http://www.reasons.org/resources/apolog ... shtml?main
With the flood, "On that very day Noah and his sons, Shem, Ham and Japheth, together with his wife and the wives of his three sons, entered the ark" (Gen 7:13).

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Ahhh I see.

I must have missed that.
thx.