please help me....tormented :(

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
marcg
Newbie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:58 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

please help me....tormented :(

#1

Post by marcg » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:08 am

Hi all,
I am writing to you as a Christian who is lossing his faith :(. Let me introdcue myself.

My name is Marc and I am in my late 20's. about 2 and a bit years ago I was a staunch atheist, my family is christian...but i rejected god and replaced him with science a long time ago.... then around 2 and a bit years ago I met a girl, and I fell in love with someone magical about her.....she just shined from the inside...if that makes sense? anyway she was christian....a devout christian...she lives her whole life for god..... anyway about a year or so it all ended and in my darkest moment I realised that I had put my faith in all these scientests that I had never met.....but necver trusted my parents or indeed this girl i clained to love.... so I picked up a bible and started reading...... and I believed.... anyway a year later, my faith is disapearing and my scientific mindf is kicking in....I've smothered myself in creation science, like what this website contains....trying to grasp to my faith.....but its slipping...to add fuel to the fire my girl went to a rather charasmatic church....u know speaking in tongues, laying of hands....and I wasn't able to accept that..... so now she's gone :( :( and so I fear is my faith...please please help me :(

Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1071
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:29 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#2

Post by Fortigurn » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:22 am

Let's figure out what your key issue is first. In what way is your faith currently in danger? What are the problems? What are the issues which are making it difficult for you to believe?

marcg
Newbie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:58 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#3

Post by marcg » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:30 am

thanks for the extremely quick reply.....

ok firstly.... I don't really know why I'm losing my faith.... I think the problem is...well I don't know....for some reason something in my heart is telling me the jesus wasn't a god.... :( I can't explain it...... when I used to pray.... I used to feel something, a connection...like chills down the back of my spine.....now I feel nothing...like i'm talking to myself :(... I used to be moved by my bible but now...I'm not.... and I guiess the whole speaking in tongues, laying of hands stuff has thrown me off.... I don't want to get into an argument about it with anyone...belvei me I've done enough of that with my X.....
thank u for caring.

User avatar
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Posts: 10030
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 646 times
Been liked: 664 times

Re: please help me....tormented :(

#4

Post by Kurieuo » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:54 am

marcg wrote:I've smothered myself in creation science, like what this website contains....
Actually this website in no way advocates "creation science" as that is usually understood. And I see no reason to split reason from experiences and/or faith. I believe all are required in order for each to properly function. I suppose I just don't really understand where people come from when they see their Christian beliefs as incompatible with science or rational thought. Although I do know what charasmatic churches are like regarding such issues...
marcg wrote:ok firstly.... I don't really know why I'm losing my faith.... I think the problem is...well I don't know....for some reason something in my heart is telling me the jesus wasn't a god....
What is "faith"? I think some clarification may be required here. This thread, What is "Faith"? may prove helpful.

Kurieuo
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1071
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:29 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#5

Post by Fortigurn » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:15 am

marcg wrote:when I used to pray.... I used to feel something, a connection...like chills down the back of my spine.....now I feel nothing...like i'm talking to myself :(... I used to be moved by my bible but now...I'm not.... and I guiess the whole speaking in tongues, laying of hands stuff has thrown me off.... I don't want to get into an argument about it with anyone...belvei me I've done enough of that with my X.....
thank u for caring.
Personal relationships constitute more than tingles down the spine. I'm going to suggest sensitively that your understanding of a personal relationship may need revision.

Your point about not being moved by the Bible is very important. People find themselves moved by things they hear, read and see every day. I've felt myself brought almost to tears by a good Charles Dickens book.

And yet I don't always feel that way when I read the Bible. Why is it? A lot of the time it's because I don't actually read the Bible as honestly as I read Dickens. I'm not really reading it as something which is part of my world. I'm reading it as if it belongs to another universe, written concerning people who have nothing to do with me. There is no personal connection.

I find myself most moved when I am able to preserve the sense that the Bible is written about real people, who had real lives, just like my own. I have heard many a good Bible study which has gripped me solidly and invoked a powerful emotinoal response because it brought the Word to life in my mind.

I suggest that this is something you need in your life. Forget the apologetics for the moment. Read the Bible as a description of real people. It doesn't matter for now if you have difficulty believing in God, the narrative will grip you regardless, if you read the Bible as something talking about human beings like yourself.

The issue of your personal faith in God can only be resolved by a revision of your understanding of what it means to have a personal relationship, and that's another issue. It is also a very sensitive issue, so I'm hesitant to say more about it, especially since I don't know you personally. But feel free to PM me if you like, or put it on this forum if you feel confident.

User avatar
August
Old School
Posts: 2402
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:22 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Texas
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time
Contact:

#6

Post by August » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:26 am

This is good advice from both Kurieou and Fortigurn. The only thing I would add is that you should continue to pray too, as it is through prayer alone that we can aqcuire wisdom.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com

Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1071
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:29 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#7

Post by Fortigurn » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:17 am

That's a good point August. Keep praying, even if you can't summon the words. The feelings are more important.

Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:26 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: please help me....tormented :(

#8

Post by Jbuza » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:09 am

marcg wrote:Hi all,
My name is Marc.
Hi Marc my names John.

Jesus was tormented by the Devil in the wilderness. You weren't tormented when you believed in nothing and accepted the worldview. No of course not that wretched liar would have been happy with that, now his trying to tell you things. The Bible promises that if you resist him he will flee far from you. HE walketh about like a roaring lion seeking who he can turn from God. Once he is convinced that he cannot sway you from your faith he will look for someone else to lie to, he has only so many days before he received his judgement.

Jesus tells us that Satan will try to snatch away that thing that caused you to believe before it begins to grow in your life. Look at this Girl you love, the seed has grown, it can be seen. I wonder why you think she is Gone? Perhaps you should open your heart to her and see what happens.

This is from MAtthew 13
When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side. 20 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it; 21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended. 22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful. 23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

User avatar
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2125
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:44 am
Christian: No
Location: Washington D.C.
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 12 times

#9

Post by BGoodForGoodSake » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:55 pm

marcg wrote:thanks for the extremely quick reply.....

ok firstly.... I don't really know why I'm losing my faith.... I think the problem is...well I don't know....for some reason something in my heart is telling me the jesus wasn't a god.... :( I can't explain it...... when I used to pray.... I used to feel something, a connection...like chills down the back of my spine.....now I feel nothing...like i'm talking to myself :(... I used to be moved by my bible but now...I'm not.... and I guiess the whole speaking in tongues, laying of hands stuff has thrown me off.... I don't want to get into an argument about it with anyone...belvei me I've done enough of that with my X.....
thank u for caring.
You're problem is simple. You are judging those around you. Do not worry yourself about how others think or beleive. And stop trying to make sense of everything.

Hold on to those you love and accept them for who they are. The world is more than you and her. If you realize this than maybe you will no longer be stuck inside yourself. Live for her and she will be there for you.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

marcg
Newbie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:58 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#10

Post by marcg » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:38 pm

I want to start by saying thank you.....your responses mean a lot to me.
I'm at work now, so I can't write to much and will write more later..,,, a lot of what you guys have said has made a lot of sense to me... and I will attempt to respnd to them all when I get a chance after work(I live in Sydney Australia).

thank you all....

smrpgx
Acquainted Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:06 pm
Christian: No
Location: right behind you
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

#11

Post by smrpgx » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:07 pm

This same exact thing is happening to me, probably because of what I did on Halloween. I went door-to-door, refused the candy, and gave out gifts and said that God loved them. Now, I believe Satan is furious at me and trying to shake my faith. I can compare it to a lion that has bitten my leg and won't let go.

My mind is constantly going to thoughts such as "Is God even real?" and "Is the Bible even true?". I keep reasurring myself that God is real and the Bible is true, but I'm worried it's slipping. I know this is a stupid question, but do I believe?

Though this thread isn't about me, so ignore what I said if you wish.

User avatar
Believer
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:44 pm
Christian: No
Location: Oregon
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#12

Post by Believer » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:58 pm

smrpgx wrote:This same exact thing is happening to me, probably because of what I did on Halloween. I went door-to-door, refused the candy, and gave out gifts and said that God loved them. Now, I believe Satan is furious at me and trying to shake my faith. I can compare it to a lion that has bitten my leg and won't let go.

My mind is constantly going to thoughts such as "Is God even real?" and "Is the Bible even true?". I keep reasurring myself that God is real and the Bible is true, but I'm worried it's slipping. I know this is a stupid question, but do I believe?

Though this thread isn't about me, so ignore what I said if you wish.
I second the above quote. Halloween did some things to me I wish didn't happen, I got a little too much into it (obsessed) by going to too many haunted house attractions and some supposed real haunted place used as a Halloween haunted house, I also started talking demonically which was just me as the result of too much Halloween. Thank goodness it's over. I also know this thread doesn't pertain to me, but I find myself having issues where I believe in God and the Holy Spirit, but for some reason, not really with Jesus. I mean, Abraham Lincoln lived, I don't know anything much about him except that he was a president of the U.S.A. and his picture. I believe Abraham Lincoln existed, but the same should apply to Jesus (minus picture), and I should believe Jesus exists, but something in me is not believing it. In fact, I now have a problem with ANY biblical matter, meaning anything I see, read, or hear biblically, I dislike, I don't know why, I really don't, but I just write it off as a test or satan trying to steal my seed. All I can do is hope and pray. Although I do find it very frightening to have something lack like this in me all of a sudden.

User avatar
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Posts: 8365
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:17 am
Christian: Yes
Location: Colorado
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 260 times

#13

Post by B. W. » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:28 am

Thinker wrote:
smrpgx wrote:This same exact thing is happening to me, probably because of what I did on Halloween. I went door-to-door, refused the candy, and gave out gifts and said that God loved them. Now, I believe Satan is furious at me and trying to shake my faith. I can compare it to a lion that has bitten my leg and won't let go.

My mind is constantly going to thoughts such as "Is God even real?" and "Is the Bible even true?". I keep reasurring myself that God is real and the Bible is true, but I'm worried it's slipping. I know this is a stupid question, but do I believe?

Though this thread isn't about me, so ignore what I said if you wish.
I second the above quote. Halloween did some things to me I wish didn't happen, I got a little too much into it (obsessed) by going to too many haunted house attractions and some supposed real haunted place used as a Halloween haunted house, I also started talking demonically which was just me as the result of too much Halloween. Thank goodness it's over. I also know this thread doesn't pertain to me, but I find myself having issues where I believe in God and the Holy Spirit, but for some reason, not really with Jesus. I mean, Abraham Lincoln lived, I don't know anything much about him except that he was a president of the U.S.A. and his picture. I believe Abraham Lincoln existed, but the same should apply to Jesus (minus picture), and I should believe Jesus exists, but something in me is not believing it. In fact, I now have a problem with ANY biblical matter, meaning anything I see, read, or hear biblically, I dislike, I don't know why, I really don't, but I just write it off as a test or satan trying to steal my seed. All I can do is hope and pray. Although I do find it very frightening to have something lack like this in me all of a sudden.
----

Remember I John 1:9 — “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (NKJV).”

As a Christian — the best advice is to live this!

Another, is that I recommend that your read John Bunyon's book — Pilgrims Progress, in the modern English language text. He describes the Christ walk and much of what you are experiencing at the Vanity Fair.

2 Timothy 4: 18

Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1143
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:24 am
Christian: No
Location: Calgary, Canada
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#14

Post by Felgar » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:00 am

Marc,

There are certainly many reasons why we are encouraged not to walk alone. All you need to do is remember your X's eyes; when you know someone who's well-founded in their faith and on fire for Jesus it's impossible to refute; they are those who's seed is in good soil, and that's why they multiply. Think back, and hopefully it will come to you. You should know from her that Jesus is real and that you are born again.

marcg
Newbie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:58 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#15

Post by marcg » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:09 pm

Thanks for the further replies.....
My X is totally 'on fire' for god sa you would say.....Me....I don't think I ever was.... I mean I like going to church, and praying and I like reading my bible...butI kind of keep my faith to myself unless it comes up in a conversation and even then I don't push it. I've always questioned my faith.

In a way I really really wish I was born into christianity...I mean I was in a way....but not really....my folks took me to church like at easter and christmas..... I just see all these younf kids born into faith and they end up like my X...with all the faith in the world.... Me....I feel like I'm grasping at it constantly...and right now I'm considering walking away from it totally :(. I went to chruch yesterday and just found myself questioning everything in my mind as an Atheist..... I hate this... I'm praying and reading my bible.....but I just feel it slipping still.... and as a result I've lost a girl I love... I just don't know what to do.

I thank u all for ur support

Post Reply