skeptical about Paul

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

August wrote:
And so I affirm Biblical inerrancy on positive grounds rather than it simply being a case of sola faith.
Don't you think it can lead to a possible position of finding something that you accept as errant, which would invalidate your position of positive affirmation. Even if you choose to accept that you have found a 'mistake', it in all likelyhood means you made the mistake, and that the Bible remains inerrant.
Well there have been times I've found what I consider to be contradictions. Yet, I don't just throw up my hands and walk away thinking the Bible is in error. I consider the Bible in the same way many scientists treat nature. If scientists come across something in nature that doesn't make sense or they can't explain, they don't throw up their hands and walk away thinking nature is in error. As a theologian who considers the Bible God's revelation, I work from the position there is a solution and go seeking it out. I try to never let my questions build up, and the fact I've been able to resolve many leads me to have even more faith in a Biblical inerrant position, even when I first percieve something like a mistake. I assume based on past experiences that I just need to look into the issue further.

Now if there is a "mistake," then there is a mistake. This would mean I would drop a Biblical inerrant position. Yet, I always assume not guilty and go first seeking out answers. If I were forced to concede a mistake, then I can always fall back to a less restrictive "divine inspiration" position; however, I don't see that need.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

As a theologian who considers the Bible God's revelation, I work from the position there is a solution and go seeking it out.
OK, I don't want to beat the issue to death, but logically which comes first: The assumption that there can be no mistake, due to the divine inspiration and therefore we must continue to seek, or, the does the mistake come first which may or not be explained, but we keep on looking just in case?

Check your pm
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Felgar »

arretium wrote:I think his argument is valid. He questions whether or not these portions of the NT are relevant or are God's word. I'd love to find some sort of logical based answer to these questions, but I suspect the only answer is pure faith. Or at least that's the answer you are advocating Just to draw a parallel: the Mormons have faith too, but they believe that you'll get your own planet when you die.
That's a fair comment - it does come down to faith and ultimately there is an element that is not logical. Kurieuo does make some good points that it's not a faith that is completely blind. But when it comes right down to it, everyone must choose to believe something and I accept it as an axiom that the Bible is the Word of God and therefore is truth. After all, it's by faith that we receive God's grace, not by superior intellect and inductive reasoning.

And btw, my faith is in no way weakenned just because someone else believes something else. "Enter through the narrow gate" - and that wasn't Paul talking. :)
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

August wrote:OK, I don't want to beat the issue to death, but logically which comes first: The assumption that there can be no mistake, due to the divine inspiration and therefore we must continue to seek, or, the does the mistake come first which may or not be explained, but we keep on looking just in case?
I'm not sure I see that either needs to come first?? One doesn't need to assume anything to keep looking futher. Infact wouldn't one purpose of looking into something further be to see whether there is a mistake, or to see whether the problem is resolvable? To assume the answer without knowing all the facts just seems foolish—the fence is always a good place until one judges both sides. However, having resolved many issues Atheists bring up in the Bible, my faith has become strengthened that the Bible is God's word. Therefore, I believe I have good reason from experience to assume the Bible is accurate even when a passage appears troubling at first glance.

Now the problem I see with your argument is that it glims past to main issue which is whether the Bible is God's revelation. As such, your argument can be used to justify even the Koran, or the Book of Mormon. For example, 1) God is perfect; 2) His revelation is perfect; 3) the Koran/Book of Mormon is His revelation; 4) therefore the Koran/Book of Mormon is perfect.

While there is nothing wrong with the argument, many would classify (3) as unproved, and therefore the whole argument is unpersuasive. What I've attempted to do is create positive reasons for accepting the Bible as His revelation. This doesn't undercut your argument, but rather it attempts to strengthen point (3) based on positive grounds.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

What I've attempted to do is create positive reasons for accepting the Bible as His revelation. This doesn't undercut your argument, but rather it attempts to strengthen point (3) based on positive grounds.
You're right of course. The original question was around a logical statement, and it seems to be a little complicated to put in a syllogy.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
monotheist
Acquainted Member

Keep it going...

Post by monotheist »

I'ma bring this topic into existence again. By what i've read in this topic, chomputer's logical thinking hasn't been put into an end. Infact, you guys drifted off from the main reason this topic was started. This is like saying, "Go now, i wish you luck". But, what good is that? You've fought logic with logic, instead of logic with proof. Which is what chomputer is looking for. I, for one, agree with chomputer, Paul did take advantage of the people. He sought to make things easier for the gentiles in order to believe in what he was "preaching". By doing so, he agreed with some of their current terms:

1. Multiple worshipping of "gods". (Trinity) - contradicts anything Jesus said.
2. No more circumcision.
3. Eat anything, although it's forbidden.
etc, etc, etc...

I believe it was Paul that said something similar to: "If i have to be one of them, in order for them to believe, then i shall". This is not the exact quote, word for word, but anyone who's read the NT will know of this.

The only reason why Paul's words are declared as "God-breathed" by other Christians, these "authorities", is cause it goes along with what they believe. You'd think they include the truth, if it contradicts what they believe, even if it truly is true?

As for Paul being filled with the Holy Spirit, i have no reason to believe that, from what was provided in this topic. Since Barnabas, a man of truth, was with Paul at the time the Holy Spirit told them to go to wherever. So, the Holy Spirit could have told Barnabas, who later told Paul. Can you deny this?

Btw, God would allow His word to be defiled, in order to make a final version of His word, where this time, no man could defile. For example, the OT was defiled by the Jews, that's why Jesus was sent, to make things right. And he was sent only to the Jews.

Oh, also, Jesus was never crucified. But, Paul wouldn't know that, cause it wasn't revealed to him. All that was revealed to him was Jesus saying, "why do you persecute me?". This amazes me that from just that sentence, Paul was able to come up with: "Jesus is the Son of God", "Jesus is God", and so on. And if not from that, then from where? There's really no backing proving that Paul actually received the word of God. We can only assume. There's too many assumptions in Christianity, that it's not even funny.
SUGAAAAA
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by SUGAAAAA »

First off, I'd like to ask, what about the other Gospel writers who wrote about the crucifixion of Jesus?
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Keep it going...

Post by Canuckster1127 »

monotheist wrote:I'ma bring this topic into existence again. By what i've read in this topic, chomputer's logical thinking hasn't been put into an end. Infact, you guys drifted off from the main reason this topic was started. This is like saying, "Go now, i wish you luck". But, what good is that? You've fought logic with logic, instead of logic with proof. Which is what chomputer is looking for. I, for one, agree with chomputer, Paul did take advantage of the people. He sought to make things easier for the gentiles in order to believe in what he was "preaching". By doing so, he agreed with some of their current terms:

1. Multiple worshipping of "gods". (Trinity) - contradicts anything Jesus said.
2. No more circumcision.
3. Eat anything, although it's forbidden.
etc, etc, etc...

I believe it was Paul that said something similar to: "If i have to be one of them, in order for them to believe, then i shall". This is not the exact quote, word for word, but anyone who's read the NT will know of this.

The only reason why Paul's words are declared as "God-breathed" by other Christians, these "authorities", is cause it goes along with what they believe. You'd think they include the truth, if it contradicts what they believe, even if it truly is true?

As for Paul being filled with the Holy Spirit, i have no reason to believe that, from what was provided in this topic. Since Barnabas, a man of truth, was with Paul at the time the Holy Spirit told them to go to wherever. So, the Holy Spirit could have told Barnabas, who later told Paul. Can you deny this?

Btw, God would allow His word to be defiled, in order to make a final version of His word, where this time, no man could defile. For example, the OT was defiled by the Jews, that's why Jesus was sent, to make things right. And he was sent only to the Jews.

Oh, also, Jesus was never crucified. But, Paul wouldn't know that, cause it wasn't revealed to him. All that was revealed to him was Jesus saying, "why do you persecute me?". This amazes me that from just that sentence, Paul was able to come up with: "Jesus is the Son of God", "Jesus is God", and so on. And if not from that, then from where? There's really no backing proving that Paul actually received the word of God. We can only assume. There's too many assumptions in Christianity, that it's not even funny.
Lots of statements. No evidence. No basis of authority for your own statements.

Several threads hanging with questions waiting for a response from you.

All you're doing is driving by and sniping.

This board is for honest seekers. You give very little evidence of being here for any discussion and simply to attack that which you chose not to agree with.

I hope it changes and my impression is wrong. That is up to you however.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
LowlyOne
Established Member

Post by LowlyOne »

Chompter wrote
Jesus never even knew Paul.

How do you know this? Is it because the bible never says so? This is just an argument from silence, which may or may not be true. It is true that we are not told whether Paul had any actual contact with Jesus during His ministry. However, it is unlikely that Paul was unaware of the claims Jesus made or of the miracles He performed, particularly if he was in Jerusalem at this time. It's not impossible to think that he may even have witnessed Jesus' trial or even His crucifixion.
I think Paul realized that Christianity was the next big thing. It was catching on and Paul saw an opportunity to become an extremely powerful influence by using people's faith against them.
You say you think Paul saw an opportunity to become an extremely powerful influence. In saying Paul would become this great influence, you are asserting by implication that he wasn't already a peson with great influence, and that the reason he (according to you) faked his conversion is because of his hunger for power. This thought, which is known as the "power theory" just shows the lack of familiarity of Paul's background before his conversion. There are at least three problems with this. Yes, there are three reasons why the "power theory" applied to Paul is unlikely.

Before I give the three reasons, Let's get some background on Paul.

Mark A. Copeland explains:

1. Paul began his life known as Saul of Tarsus...
a. Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe
of Benjamin
b. A Hebrew of the Hebrews, a Pharisee and a son of a Pharisee - Ph
3:5; Ac 23:6

2. He was on the "fast track" as far as his Jewish faith was
concerned...
a. Living according to the strict sect of His religion - Ac 26:5
b. Advancing in Judaism beyond many of his contemporaries - Ga 1:14

3. His zeal for Judaism led to his persecution of the church...
a. He tried to destroy it - Ga 1:13
b. By seeking to imprison and put Christians to death - Ac 22:3-5
c. This he did because he believed it to be God's will - Ac 26:9-12

From these 3 points and sub points, we can see that Paul already had power and influence. He had enough power to get some Christians imprisoned and others put to death. Now here are the three reasons why Paul didn't convert for power (assuming he didn't already have it)

First, if Paul was looking for some fast power through a position of authority in Christianity, then why did his actions not provide an indication that this was the case? I mean, based on Paul's own testimony, even after being a Christian for 17 years, he visited Jerusalem in order to compare the gospel he preaching with the gospel preached by the apostles. He done this, to make sure that his labors had not been in vain and that he was not preaching a false gospel. Perhaps it was at that time that the apostles completely accepted him into fellowship as a leader in the Church. (See Gal. 2:1-10).

Second, if Paul was after great power and influence, then why didn't he pursue a place of power within the Roman government? After all, he was a Roman citizen.

Third, it is true that a hunger for great power and influece comes is rooted in a desire of self-gratification. The problem we have here, is that Paul's life as a Christian isn't portrayed as one who's after that (self-gratification). Why?

1 Cor. 11:24 (Paul says) From the Jews five times I received forty stripes minus one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods; once I was stoned; three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been in the deep; 26 in journeys often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils of my own countrymen, in perils of the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; 27 in weariness and toil, in sleeplessness often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness-- 28 besides the other things, what comes upon me daily: my deep concern for all the churches. {emphasis mine) Gal. 6:17 From now on let no one trouble me, for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.

He endured all of this, for the sake of the churches, for the gospel's sake, and to imitate Christ. In fact, Paul resisted self-gratification.
1 Cor 9:27 - But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.
Paul taught to by the Spirit, put to death the deeds of the body, (Rom. 8:13) which he taught to be selfish ambitions, envy and the like among with several other things/deeds. (Gal. 5:19-22). He taught that nothing should be done out of selfish ambition, that we are to esteem others better than ourselves, (Philp. 2:3) and that each of us should look out not only for our own interests, but also for the interests of others (Phil. 2:4).

Then he went on and said "Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." (Phil. 2:9-11).

This was the way of Christ, and Paul uses this here to teach us that we are to follow the example of Christ, which is humility. If Paul lusted after power and influence, then why don't we find this in his teaching? In fact, we find the opposite. I am convinced that those who try to use the "power theory" to explain Paul's conversion and perserverance as a follower of Christ, have not thoroughly examined his letters. In fact, if Paul made up his conversion and testified to it which would have been a lie, then why did he endure such hardships all because of a lie? Furthermore Paul died for what he believed, and if all along he had been lieing about the reason for his conversion, the why did he become a martyr? Let's look at Paul's death.

M. G. Easton gives this poignant account of the death of Paul:

"There can be little doubt that he appeared again at Nero's bar, and this time the charge did not break down. In all history there is not a more startling illustration of the irony of human life than this scene of Paul at the bar of Nero. On the judgment-seat, clad in the imperial purple, sat a man who, in a bad world, had attained the eminence of being the very worst and meanest being in it, a man stained with every crime, a man whose whole being was so steeped in every nameable and unnamable vice, that body and soul of him were, as some one said at the time, nothing but a compound of mud and blood; and in the prisoner's dock stood the best man the world possessed, his hair whitened with labors for the good of men and the glory of God. The trial ended: Paul was condemned, and delivered over to the executioner. He was led out of the city, with a crowd of the lowest rabble at his heels. The fatal spot was reached; he knelt beside the block; the headsman's axe gleamed in the sun and fell; and the head of the apostle of the world rolled down in the dust" (probably A.D. 66), four years before the fall of Jerusalem.13

The power theory crumbles as we examine the Pauline epistles, and the martyrdom of Paul.

chompter, you wrote
I am having a hard time believing that Paul was anything but a con man or maybe a power/authority freak.

You shouldn't anymore. Would a con-man or a man with a power/authority obsesion die for a lie?
It seems like that majority of Christianity is based more on what Paul said than on what Jesus said.

Paul letter's make up a small portion of the bible in comparison to the rest of the bible.

I am starting to wonder if any of it is true... It just doens't seem to stand up to critical reasoning.
The bible claims to world is corrupt. Is that a true depiction of the world? The reason it doesn't stand up to critical reasoning, is because the things of God (message of the bible) are spiritually discerned, and fleshly (critical) reasoning can't receive it (the bible's message). We must learn to think spiritually..l