WAS it an angel?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
RickD
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 889 times

Re: WAS it an angel?

Post by RickD » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:53 pm

Philip wrote:
God works through the natural, and logical, much more than He uses miracles. It's all part of the natural world in which we live.
And yet, the natural world is all part of a massive, ongoing miracle of sustaining the Creation. Compartmentalizing God's works, or how He might be working - while we often can't know, we shouldn't discount the possible nuances in how he might have done this or that. Of course, to balance that, unless we know or are told differently, we should see cautions about making certainties out of specific incidences. We can't know what we can't know. But we can always be open to how an unlimited God might operate - or how He might operate differently than we've ever previously known of.
I don't disagree with anything you said here. My only point, I guess, is that when we may think there's some supernatural occurrence/miracle, such as a possibility of an angel, we first need to see if it's consistent with scripture. Of course we can have a disagreement on interpreting scripture, but if it's not found in scripture at all(good angels disguised as women), then I think it's reasonable to be skeptical, at the very least.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Philip
Board Moderator
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 481 times

Post by Philip » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:34 pm

BTW, Rick, I would definitely agree that, BY FAR, we see God working in ways that aren't obviously immediately miraculous/supernatural - meaning, thought the world's every finetuning works per his sustaining it, it's mostly done within the everyday / natural ways He has set things to typically run. People so often desire God to supernaturally solve an issue, whereas He appears to more often want us to be obedient, honoring of Him, and about our daily tasks and making plans - as THOSE are how He more typically works in our lives.

When horrifically ill, with hope of my life diminishing, I experienced about three interconnected developments that I knew were truly miraculous - with particularly one of those done is such a way so I would not miss it. So, for a short period, I was always looking for more such experiences - and yet, these all went down with specific occurrences within a year and a half. And those were IT - all happening about 25 years ago. I've never experienced any such things ever since. I know of a long-time pastor - says he might count on one hand what he would say he'd experienced such a thing personally - a guy who has led thousands of people in ministry.

But the thing with the coach has a feeling of authenticity to some special event - it changed a lot of people. It did him - and I'd noticed he was a lot different over the years since. What exactly transpired - angel, simple miraculous use of a stranger - really, it's not something knowable. But it's a very nice story, whatever the truth of it.

1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 231 times

Post by 1over137 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:47 pm

Phil, may I ask what have you experienced?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart

BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Post by BavarianWheels » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:52 am

Angels can be reg'lur humans that God has guided into our path or ours into theirs. It's not necessarily always a 'heavenly' angel that shows up.

RickD
Board Moderator
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 889 times

Post by RickD » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:36 am

BavarianWheels wrote:Angels can be reg'lur humans that God has guided into our path or ours into theirs. It's not necessarily always a 'heavenly' angel that shows up.
I had a gardener once, named Angel Hernandez. He was such a blessing to my rhododendrons.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony