"Why Do You Fear Death?"

Discuss strengths and weaknesses of new pages added to the God And Science website
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

"Why Do You Fear Death?"

Post by Mallz »

I'm pretty sure this post is old. And I could be posting this in the wrong thread... but I wanted to add something.
In the conclusion:
If you fear death, yet believe that God does not exist, then you are being irrational. Then again, maybe you uncertain whether death is the end of your existence. Are you ready to die?
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... death.html

What about the fear of ceasing to exist? For the longest time I was afraid of dying, and living forever. Illogical, I know. Now I don't fear living forever. But I don't want to cease to exist, and fear that. If I fear it, others must (to what extent I don't know).

I think its a bit too hasty to assume no one can fear nonexistence. Why wouldn't anyone not fear your total destruction? The end of life?
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: "Why Do You Fear Death?"

Post by Silvertusk »

Mallz wrote:I'm pretty sure this post is old. And I could be posting this in the wrong thread... but I wanted to add something.
In the conclusion:
If you fear death, yet believe that God does not exist, then you are being irrational. Then again, maybe you uncertain whether death is the end of your existence. Are you ready to die?
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... death.html

What about the fear of ceasing to exist? For the longest time I was afraid of dying, and living forever. Illogical, I know. Now I don't fear living forever. But I don't want to cease to exist, and fear that. If I fear it, others must (to what extent I don't know).

I think its a bit too hasty to assume no one can fear nonexistence. Why wouldn't anyone not fear your total destruction? The end of life?

Terrifies the hell out of me!
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Silvertusk wrote:Terrifies the hell out of me!
:lol: very appropriate answer silver and I could not agree more. For me there's nothing more terrifying than non-existence, infinitely more so than the prospects of hell itself. One is by choice, the other is fatal determinism.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Byblos wrote:
:lol: very appropriate answer silver and I could not agree more. For me there's nothing more terrifying than non-existence, infinitely more so than the prospects of hell itself. One is by choice, the other is fatal determinism.
Byblos, if you would just accept the assurance of salvation in Christ, then you'd not fear non-existence. There's still a seat reserved for you on the "assurance" bandwagon. Climb aboard, and enjoy the ride. ;)
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:
Byblos wrote:
Byblos, if you would just accept the assurance of salvation in Christ, then you'd not fear non-existence. There's still a seat reserved for you on the "assurance" bandwagon. Climb aboard, and enjoy the ride. ;)
Where did I say I feared it?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Byblos wrote:
RickD wrote:
Byblos wrote:
You said:
For me there's nothing more terrifying than non-existence, infinitely more so than the prospects of hell itself. One is by choice, the other is fatal determinism.
If one is terrified, one is afraid. Correct? To be afraid is to have fear. Correct?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:
Byblos wrote:
RickD wrote:
Byblos wrote:
You said:
For me there's nothing more terrifying than non-existence, infinitely more so than the prospects of hell itself. One is by choice, the other is fatal determinism.
If one is terrified, one is afraid. Correct? To be afraid is to have fear. Correct?
And once again I ask, where did I say the fear I speak of is one I am experiencing? And even if that were true (and it's not), what on earth does that have to do with assurance?

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Byblos, you said,"For me there's nothing more terrifying than non-existence..."
Did I misread that?

-Edward R Murrow

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:Byblos, you said,"For me there's nothing more terrifying than non-existence..."
Did I misread that?
You did, but it's my fault. For me, those who do not believe logically face an eternity of nothingness. For those who do not believe, for me there's nothing more terrifying than an eternity of nothingness. I should've been clearer.

Lonewolf
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Lonewolf »

Byblos wrote:
:lol: very appropriate answer silver and I could not agree more. For me there's nothing more terrifying than non-existence, ..
When you really get tired of everything, non-existence doesn't seem that terrifying., it probably would be just like falling asleep and that's it. :sleep: