Debunking Dawkins?

Discuss strengths and weaknesses of new pages added to the God And Science website
Seraph
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Debunking Dawkins?

Post by Seraph »

I thought I would ask about the future of the remaining "Debunking Dawkins" chapters on the site challenging The God Delusion. Did Rich get so disgusted with the book that he abandoned trying to argue with it? :P
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Tevko
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Debunking Dawkins?

Post by Tevko »

Good question, I too have been waiting for a few months to read another incredible Godandscience rebuttal to Dawkins' book. Can't come soon enough!
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Seraph wrote:I thought I would ask about the future of the remaining "Debunking Dawkins" chapters on the site challenging The God Delusion. Did Rich get so disgusted with the book that he abandoned trying to argue with it? :P
Stopped on the account of boredom...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
FearlessLlearsy
Established Member

Post by FearlessLlearsy »

May I ask exactly who Rich is?? I have a confession to make, i never actually read the board's announcements and guidelines, i just came right into the discussion forum :esmile:
Live a life with no FEAR, for the battle is already won. The Devil and his minions only cry in agonizing pain, realizing the victory is OURS.
SnowDrops
Established Member

Post by SnowDrops »

FearlessLlearsy wrote:May I ask exactly who Rich is?? I have a confession to make, i never actually read the board's announcements and guidelines, i just came right into the discussion forum :esmile:
Try reading the "Personal" section of the main site. And more of the main site in general.
I think Rich also recently made a Youtube account.

Rich is a man living in California, with an MD, is a Christian, OEC and works in a hospital. But seriously, read the "Personal" section.
The first step to learning is to admit that you don't know.
SnowDrops
Established Member

Post by SnowDrops »

I'm no longer sure it's worth Riches' time to do the other chapters. Honestly, the book could be debunked by anyone with a bachelors degree in philosophy.
The first step to learning is to admit that you don't know.
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member
Sex: Female

Post by Jonouchi Katsuya »

I don't see the point in that. So many people on this site misquote him anyway... I think some people would just assume put devil horns on him and call it good.
Hi I am a Buddhist and I seek enlightenment. I do not know everything. I do not pretend to know everything. I desire strongly to discuss the Bible as you see it. Please correct me when I get something wrong.
Mariolee
Recognized Member

Post by Mariolee »

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:I don't see the point in that. So many people on this site misquote him anyway... I think some people would just assume put devil horns on him and call it good.
Whoa. That was a little bit extreme don't you think?
How do some people mess up a message about "love" and "forgiveness" so much?!
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

I don't see the point in that. So many people on this site misquote him anyway... I think some people would just assume put devil horns on him and call it good.
For being a Buddhist, you sure put up a very good defense of atheism. Well...an interesting point you brought up though,

Sam Harris (the eminent atheist, like Dawkins) said and I quote

"If I could wave a magic wand and get rid of either rape or religion, I would not hesitate to get rid of religion."
—Sam Harris

Now please, tell me is there a point in this, or am I just reading it wrong y/:)

Personally, I would love to have the doctors check his mental state of health.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DannyM »

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:I don't see the point in that. So many people on this site misquote him anyway
Can you show us where?
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:I don't see the point in that. So many people on this site misquote him anyway... I think some people would just assume put devil horns on him and call it good.
Can we get an example? y:-/
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Where can I read critics on chapter 3 of Dawkins' The God Delusion?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Dudeacus97
Established Member

Post by Dudeacus97 »

Even if it is very easy to debunk, Rich should continue with it anyway. If atheists see that the refutation was not finished, then they'll think that he couldn't finish it because it's too hard.
"Christianity has always embraced both reason and faith."
-Dinesh D'Souza

"Stop listening to John Lennon and start listening to John Lennox! What about a world without the atheists? A word with no Stalin, no Mao, no Pol Pot? A world with no Gulag, no Cultural Revolution, no Killing Fields? Wouldn't that be a world worth dreaming about?"
-John Lennox
Beanybag
Valued Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Beanybag »

neo-x wrote:
For being a Buddhist, you sure put up a very good defense of atheism. Well...an interesting point you brought up though,

Sam Harris (the eminent atheist, like Dawkins) said and I quote

"If I could wave a magic wand and get rid of either rape or religion, I would not hesitate to get rid of religion."
—Sam Harris

Now please, tell me is there a point in this, or am I just reading it wrong y/:)

Personally, I would love to have the doctors check his mental state of health.
I think he would be implying that the latter would also solve much of the former, or solve more problems so as to make the latter seem much less important. I don't see, from the perspective of the US, how it would change much not to have religion. Maybe science would progress more but problems like racism, rape, violent crime, etc. wouldn't go away.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Of course Sam doesn't have as much of a problem with rape, as a naturalist why would he?
It is a perfectly acceptable form of propagation in the natural world.