Religion as Child Abuse

Discuss strengths and weaknesses of new pages added to the God And Science website
Mariolee
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes

Religion as Child Abuse

Post by Mariolee »

I was browsing the Intertubes as I found some critiques of this page which tackles Richard Dawkin's view of Religion being a main form of child abuse. The critiques I found are from this page from the Atheists and Agnostic section of democratic underground.
What points do you guys agree and disagree on?
How do some people mess up a message about "love" and "forgiveness" so much?!
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Religion as Child Abuse

Post by Kurieuo »

I only briefly read responses, but why even seriously contemplate this?

One can just look to the foundations of Atheism vs say Christianity and the logical outworking of each worldview. Atheists like to think they don't hold any positive beliefs and therefore have nothing to defend... but they have many beliefs. Atheism carried to its logical conclusion, can say nothing on matters of morality other than right and wrong is a matter of personal taste. Including child abuse.

But then... if we're all determined by an outworking of chemical reactions, then well... can a chemical process commit child abuse? Or if religion "evolved" then would not evolution be responsible for any abuse of children... I could go on highlighting inconsistencies, but see no point.

An Atheist making the statement that "religion is child abuse" just shows how incoherent and illogical they can be.
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Technically a child in the mind of an atheist is simply a walking pool of chemicals that evolved from a swamp pond... I don't know what is more degrading. Calling them slimy mud accidents or calling them real children created in the image of a loving God. I would think the later... y:-?
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Murray »

Atheism is child abuse because when you cram your ignorant atheistic thoughts into a highly adaptable child they will most likely accept your views as you are "the all knowing adult". By doing this atheist create more ignorant, hate screaming, block heads like themselves. And lets not forget this great quote from mark 3:29 But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin.", so by commiting a child to atheism( and the child never changes the position in his lifetime) you have just condemed a soul to hell. Congratz, you have just destroyed a soul.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
kmr
Valued Member

Post by kmr »

Looking through the responses on that page, I could only hope but notice one thing: all the examples given by the atheists about traumatized children "due to religion" are examples of pedophiles and such who had tormented them. Obviously, this is not the fault of religion, it, once more an example of all history (wars, discrimination etc.), is merely people using the church as a means or an excuse to exercise their own desires. The children were traumatized because a man used the church in order to find children he could molest, not because the church itself was wicked. It is the same for other examples, like Pizarro and Atahualpa. Pizarro forced Atahualpa to try to read the bible, and when the native got frustrated (because he couldn't read) and tossed it aside, Pizarro used it immediately as an excuse to conquer that kingdom and claim the riches. He even had his men in ambush positions before he "tested" Atahualpa's faith. One example of many.
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

Religon generally causes happyness.

However, those disgusting perverts to destroy a childs life; atheist though are actually claiming that religon is causing a child to devolop a mental disorder.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte