I Have Never Experienced God Personally

Discuss strengths and weaknesses of new pages added to the God And Science website
Mary
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: I Have Never Experienced God Personally

Post by Mary »

Though I know nobody has poster here in a while, I just had to. I was feeling lik this earlier today, I was frustrated because I felt like I didn't know if God was actually listening or not, and I felt somewhat alone. Of course the day that happens, I start browsing and I find this post. ;) This really helped me feel better though.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Mary wrote:Though I know nobody has poster here in a while, I just had to. I was feeling lik this earlier today, I was frustrated because I felt like I didn't know if God was actually listening or not, and I felt somewhat alone. Of course the day that happens, I start browsing and I find this post. ;) This really helped me feel better though.
We all have days like you do!

He is there and cares for you as he lead you here to read this section and it helped you :D

So Welcome to the Forum!
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
derrick09
Valued Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by derrick09 »

Wow, this is a great thread, I wish I had seen this a long time ago. It's good to know that all of people's God experiences have been a lot like mine. Up until just a few years ago, I thought I was spiritually out of touch with most real Christians because I've never had the big experiences like hearing a audible voice, or having dreams or visions that were distinctively from God, or anything like what many chrismatics experience. I'm glad I'm not alone and I'm glad that you guys are in the same boat I'm in and if you all are in the same boat I'm in, than I have nothing to worry about as far as trying to strive to get God to talk back to me. But anyway, I thought I would share that. Thanks and GB.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Derrick09,

I'm glad you've found it encouraging.

I've spent a lot of my early Christian life seeking after experience and wanting that experience to somehow convince me to where I never have any intellectual doubts about God's reality in my life. Personally, I think it's a bit of treadmill. It's never enough. People get comfortable and familiar with things and then they go looking for the next experience.

I've had experiences that are very special in my memory and which serve in part to convince me of God's reality in my life, but with very rare exception they've come when I've not been looking for them. That's as it should be I think. If God is real, then I can expect that God can and will take initiative in my life like this and that's part of walking with God.

I've watched some of your posts and frustrations and I've been reluctant to say too much, because frankly, it looks like you're trying to work through and understand some things, and that is fine. I've gone through (and still go through) seasons like that.

It seems however that you might be focusing so strongly on the logical and intellectually that you're limiting the venues through which God can speak to you. I believe Christianity and a walk with Christ are logical and rationale. However, there are elements of it that some call Irrational, but I think are better described a suprarational.

I understand it this way: Logic is a structure. It provides a way to examine things to see if they are consistent internally so that the conclusion drawn can be trusted. There's more to truth however than just internal logic (the techinical word for this is validity.) In addition to being consistent internally, the premises that a logical construct are based on have to be true. This is where some forms of atheism get twisted around the axle. Some atheists take the position that only that which can be experienced through our senses and which exists in the physical realm can be proven and therefore, anything outside of that is irrational and by definition is not real.

That in and of itself is an assumption that cannot be proven or disproven, but it is accepted as foundational. So, everything that is logically based on that assumption is only as true as the foundational assumption itself. Do you see that? It doesn't matter how complicated and appealing the resultant construct is, if it's based on the assumption that nothing spiritual can exist and the spiritual does in fact exist then that construct is not true and not reliable.

Christianity, by definition, accepts that there is more to reality than just the physical universe. God doesn't exist outside of physical reality. God isn't irrational. God exists thoroughout and above that physical reality because God created it, and supercedes it and in that instance, I think the better word is suprarational.

I'd challenge you to think about that and as that sinks in, begin to ask yourself what that means in terms of your personal search for God's reality in your life. Do you have a spiritual sense that exists beyond your physical senses? If so, how might God show Himself to be real to you in that context?

hope this helps,

bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
daywalker1966
Acquainted Member

Post by daywalker1966 »

I quit the church routine some time back and have not had much motivation to mess with it these days. The outfit I started with wa part church and part cult and they taught many things I found to be wrong later. But among the things they taught that I aggreed with was the seventh day sabath. I never found evidence that this was changed except by man. They also taught about paganistic worship and this I found to be intermingled with christianity.

We experimented with one church after moving and they made the wife write an essay for membership, she did it while I laughed at them. They did not accept it. She found a church where they had spend tons on their building and decorations, and they were very friendly-till the sermon ended and they stampeded the door. I was invited to a third because they felt Goths need Jesus alot, and the minister screamed and yelled so much that twenty people ended up walking out.

I tired of it all. Enough was enough. I do my own research and have found that even when something is not right those who teach it stick with it. One pastor railed on how the Goth image is an image of evil and he presented scripture. when presented with a Goth pastor's oposing view, the conversation was over and he refused to address any of the evidence given.

Some people believe that there will be a rapture in a few years, others believe Jesus is right around the corner, still others see the future going for many decades. I just finished speaking to a deist who believed Mary was a rape victim with mental problems and who believed Jesus was either mentally ill or was just a cult leader who wanted the fame and fortune, none of this with evidence to back it up. That conversation ended on a "Just go away" note too.

If nothing else 2012 should be interesting.

Gene ****"Bury them facing the enemy that is how they died"*****
SnowDrops
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by SnowDrops »

Where I live I certainly don't know any good church or something similar. I have been to "corporate churches" and honestly, they feel almost... commercial. I used to go to a smaller church, which was quite nice - most of the people were from one neighborhood and knew each other well. I don't live there anymore though.
I'll admit there was something good specifically about gathering together to praise God. I know right now it would be nice to have that sort of community.
The first step to learning is to admit that you don't know.
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Post by StMonicaGuideMe »

In my own experience, it is times of great suffering and turmoil in my life that I'm aware of God's presence in my life even more, not when things are "easier".
God never promised He would be in contact with us 100% of the time. Even Saints experienced "dry faith periods" where they were very aware of a silent period between themselves and God. So, if some of the most holy and pious individuals in history have admitted feeling "dry" (lack of zeal, urge to speak of God, etc) imagine how much the rest of us go through it :P I think the dry spells, however, are a test for us. Even if we pray sometimes without our heart in it, God will still grant us blessings because of the obedience and, subsequently, the trust we are showing. In spite of our temporary darkness or dryness, we are still reaching for Him and calling for Him. He would not leave His children abandoned in the dark when they are calling for Him. It's just another opportunity for us to sanctify ourselves :)

In regards to Church attendance, these are trying times. I find many of your comments very interesting, and at times, scary! I'm a Catholic, and attend Latin Mass, so I've never really experienced what some of you are describing -- loudness before the altar, lack of respect for parishioners, etc. It's terrifying that there are some people who think this is acceptable! I'm not saying that all Catholic parishes are void of these things (of course there are) but it takes some serious discernment to figure out which one is safe and truly practices the teachings of Christ.

Also, there are many wolves in sheep's clothing; those who attend church just to attend (without having any desire to); those who go not knowing why, etc. Going to Church should be part of our lives because a) we were commanded to and when we start to pick and choose what rules we listen to, we get into dangerous waters (unless there is little choice and the choices you have are loaded with the wolves...) b) routine is good for the soul :P and c) we assist in Christ's sacrifice each time (coming from the Catholic perspective here).
To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge".
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

Do you think chooses certain people to send a strong message too?

Like many Christians drink, have sex, use drugs ect... But whenever I even think of doing these things I have a crappy day the next day, a lot of it actually dealing with these things in some way, but then the Christians that actually do these things do not seem to have the consequences like I do, almost like god is trying to keep me inline but is not trying to send as strong a message to the others
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Post by StMonicaGuideMe »

Murray wrote:Do you think chooses certain people to send a strong message too?

Like many Christians drink, have sex, use drugs ect... But whenever I even think of doing these things I have a crappy day the next day, a lot of it actually dealing with these things in some way, but then the Christians that actually do these things do not seem to have the consequences like I do, almost like god is trying to keep me inline but is not trying to send as strong a message to the others
It's very possible. Your strengths and weaknesses are not the same as others. And those "Christians" who do those things may just be superficially Christian. Sometimes, God stops sending the messages and the warning of punishment in this life when people shut Him out for good and serving another god --the things they want.
To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge".