Issues at work

Post all your prayer requests and responses here.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Issues at work

Post by 1over137 »

Business is about business. Not about people.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

1over137 wrote:Business is about business. Not about people.
Hana,

The smart managers realize that it takes people to run a business.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

RickD wrote:
Hana,

How many of them are? Seems to be there are less smart managers than unwise ones.
I have also some experiences.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:You sound like you know what you're doing Rick.
It's kind of interesting, hearing similar management stories elsewhere.

Really, what you are experiencing, is one reason I basically walked out and went back to my business.
Thankfully, the second time around it's treated me well... better now than when I was employed.
And I've been able to spend much time with kids. BUT, also high stress.
If you don't mind my asking, where is the stress coming from? I ask because I'm starting to get stressed here for the first time.
With my business there is more flexibility, but it's not like you just rock up and can take a paycheck.
You need to bring in customers and make your own money and there is stresses associated with that you just don't get working for someone else.

Especially in the industry I'm in, there are many associated stresses with being able to constantly move and adapt.
If I don't, then clients may not be happy with results not to mention I won't be.

BUT, there were different types of stresses as an employee.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

1over137 wrote:
RickD wrote:
Hana,

How many of them are? Seems to be there are less smart managers than unwise ones.
Yes. Maybe I should've written, "The wise managers realize it takes people to run a business."
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:
RickD wrote:

Really, what you are experiencing, is one reason I basically walked out and went back to my business.
Thankfully, the second time around it's treated me well... better now than when I was employed.
If you don't mind my asking, where is the stress coming from? I ask because I'm starting to get stressed here for the first time.
With my business there is more flexibility, but it's not like you just rock up and can take a paycheck.
You need to bring in customers and make your own money and there is stresses associated with that you just don't get working for someone else.

Especially in the industry I'm in, there are many associated stresses with being able to constantly move and adapt.
If I don't, then clients may not be happy with results not to mention I won't be.

But I bet if you put a lot into your own business, you get a lot out of it. I think that's the advantage in working for yourself.

-Edward R Murrow

1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

RickD wrote:
1over137 wrote:
RickD wrote:
Hana,

Yes. Maybe I should've written, "The wise managers realize it takes people to run a business."
Smart, wise,..

Yes I agree.

#foreverinmyheart
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
RickD wrote:

But I bet if you put a lot into your own business, you get a lot out of it. I think that's the advantage in working for yourself.
Yes, and no.
You can put a lot into your business and get nothing out of it.
I see it all the time with small businesses that I try to avoid.
They're so focused on the technical aspects that they neglect the business side.

People in a profession often think if they went into business for themselves they'd do such a better job because management is clueless.
But, what management often do understand, especially in any business successful in the commercial sector, is working on the business is of a high importance.

My biggest issue is keeping on top of things, research and development and adaptation.
This is a full time job in itself. And then I have to take on projects that can last several months -- keeps me working in the business.
And then work on marketing my business better. And then worry about getting good results for clients especially when the game changes.
It's no picnic. And your mind can be consume at any hour and often constantly, even on holidays.

It's really more a matter of it's always greener on the other side.
Having been on both sides, there are just advantages and disadvantages.
BUT, I wouldn't turn to employment now. No one would employ me at what I'm currently earning nor offer me the time I get being around family (working from home).
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Well,

It came to an end today. I was let go from my job. I knew it was going to get to this point(if I didn't quit first).

The last straw for me, came when they hired someone off the street, for the position I had before they demoted me. They said they were going to fix the mistake they made. Instead of fixing it and just giving me back the position I had before, they hired someone off the street. And THEN, before I was let go this morning, they promoted someone else to that position as well.

Oh well. I guess it's on to bigger and better things now. I'm just staying open to wherever God leads me.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

I am sorry to hear about what happened Rick.
BUT, and I have to be honest here, GOOD RIDDANCE to a crappy environment like that !
You are far better off away from people like that.

Our Lord will provide my friend and you are in my prayers.

Deep down it seems to me that you KNEW that was not the place for you and, perhaps, this was Our Lord's way of getting you out of a place that you didn't want to be in and I feel that He will open a door for you soon :)
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Am curious Rick to ask you whether you learned something for future life while working there.
Because that is how I look at my being and working at my current job. Sometimes I really take it as a life training.

May God lead your future steps according to his will.

#foreverinmyheart
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:I am sorry to hear about what happened Rick.
BUT, and I have to be honest here, GOOD RIDDANCE to a crappy environment like that !
You are far better off away from people like that.

Our Lord will provide my friend and you are in my prayers.

Deep down it seems to me that you KNEW that was not the place for you and, perhaps, this was Our Lord's way of getting you out of a place that you didn't want to be in and I feel that He will open a door for you soon :)
Thanks for the encouragement Paul.

Yes, I knew from the writing on the wall, that I wasn't going to be there much longer. The thing I'm going to miss the most, is the relationships I had with my coworkers. I was the guy people went to when they had problems. They felt comfortable talking to me about things that they wouldn't tell other people. I'm going to miss that.

But yes, I know God will open a door for me. He always has.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

1over137 wrote:Am curious Rick to ask you whether you learned something for future life while working there.
Because that is how I look at my being and working at my current job. Sometimes I really take it as a life training.

May God lead your future steps according to his will.
Hana,

That's a great question! I hadn't really thought about it until you brought it up. Let me think about it, and I'll get back to you.

-Edward R Murrow

Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

I feel like you were supposed to leave that job. Let the Holy Spirit guide you, He's got your back!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Mallz wrote:I feel like you were supposed to leave that job. Let the Holy Spirit guide you, He's got your back!
Thanks Mallz. :D

I know God has a place for me somewhere. Having been in similar situations, the tough part for me is keeping my wife from wanting to strangle me because I'm home a lot more now. :lol:

On the positive side, I'm really looking forward to what the Good Lord has in store for me next.

-Edward R Murrow