Writer Christopher Hitchens to undergo chemotherapy

Post all your prayer requests and responses here.
Post Reply
User avatar
August
Old School
Posts: 2402
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:22 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Texas
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time
Contact:

Writer Christopher Hitchens to undergo chemotherapy

#1

Post by August » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:50 pm

Folks, please offer your prayers for Hitchens...that he may find comfort and healing, and also that this turns out to be the life-changing event that we hope for for all people.
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) — British-born author Christopher Hitchens on Wednesday cut short a book tour to undergo chemotherapy, which several media outlets reported was because the heavy smoker has been diagnosed with cancer.

"I have been advised by my physician that I must undergo a course of chemotherapy on my esophagus. This advice seems persuasive to me. I regret having had to cancel so many engagements at such short notice," Hitchens, 61, said in a statement released through his publishers Twelve.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100630/sta ... s_hitchens
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com

User avatar
Gman
Old School
Posts: 6081
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 10:36 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Northern California
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Writer Christopher Hitchens to undergo chemotherapy

#2

Post by Gman » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:43 pm

August wrote:Folks, please offer your prayers for Hitchens...that he may find comfort and healing, and also that this turns out to be the life-changing event that we hope for for all people.
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) — British-born author Christopher Hitchens on Wednesday cut short a book tour to undergo chemotherapy, which several media outlets reported was because the heavy smoker has been diagnosed with cancer.

"I have been advised by my physician that I must undergo a course of chemotherapy on my esophagus. This advice seems persuasive to me. I regret having had to cancel so many engagements at such short notice," Hitchens, 61, said in a statement released through his publishers Twelve.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100630/sta ... s_hitchens
Nice post John.. :clap:

Even though he opposes us.. Prayers are up for him. Or any atheist for that matter...

Christ's message is always one of love and not hate.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8

User avatar
zoegirl
Old School
Posts: 3927
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:59 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: east coast
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Writer Christopher Hitchens to undergo chemotherapy

#3

Post by zoegirl » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:54 am

will be praying
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"

User avatar
zoegirl
Old School
Posts: 3927
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:59 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: east coast
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Writer Christopher Hitchens to undergo chemotherapy

#4

Post by zoegirl » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:18 pm

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... =3&t=34476

I split the topic (first time I did that!) and placed it under "Purpose of prayer" in the Questions for Christians in the link above.

I agree that it was weird in the prayer forum
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"

DannyM
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3301
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:31 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: A little corner of England
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Writer Christopher Hitchens to undergo chemotherapy

#5

Post by DannyM » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:06 pm

I offer Christopher and his family - in particular Peter, with whom I am somewhat aqauinted - my prayers and best wishes during this trying time. I disagree with your views, Christopher, but I also know that you have a well-intentioned heart. Be well, and be safe.

Danny
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia

cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2333
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:09 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Southern California
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Writer Christopher Hitchens to undergo chemotherapy

#6

Post by cslewislover » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:29 pm

zoegirl wrote:http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... =3&t=34476

I split the topic (first time I did that!) and placed it under "Purpose of prayer" in the Questions for Christians in the link above.

I agree that it was weird in the prayer forum
:clap:
Image
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis

User avatar
madscientist
Valued Member
Posts: 359
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 5:29 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: St Andrews, Fife, UK / Prievidza, Slovakia
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Writer Christopher Hitchens to undergo chemotherapy

#7

Post by madscientist » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:58 am

Good idea :P it's been a while ago i got a bit concerned about him and people like him, really... they're strong, persuasive atheists who won't give up and don't even try the possibility of any deity at all.

Only God can help him, but I know there've been cases when someone (e.g. a preacher) came and prayed for the person and he instantly got better. there's been cases healed of cancer, alcoholism, tobacco addiction etc. And many of these happened THE MOMENT the person accepted Jesus as their Savior, recognized his sinfulness, placed faith in Him etc. So I wonder, that perhaps, if all other means fail, Hitchens would be so desperate and "give in"? I sincerely believe that if he did try praying to God He'd hear him and within several days/weeks he'd get better. Only if... these people had the will to at least accept the possibility of a God and stop being so anti-religious and ignorant of any spiritual things.
There've also been cases where someone ELSE (a believer) prayed for the sick and they got better. whether the sick was a believer not 100% sure but I think in this case they were.

Well, perhaps sounds as it does, but really, maybe sending a bunch of "Christ's ministers" (is that the right term? :lol: ) over such people and allowing them to pray over the sick would do the job...

And we'll keep on praying... In addition, let's imagine what impact would that have. Let's imagine an anti-theist or strong atheist e.g. Hitchens, Dawkins, Dennett etc. turning around. Can we imagine the impact? Perhaps those whose ideas and faith (or lack thereof) have been influenced by them would now have to change their hearts... people who have had such a significant impact may have an even greater impact when they become believers in Christ...

May God change their hearts for the good of the world and His glory! :amen:
"Love is only possible if a choice of either love or rejecting the love is given." One of the most true things id ever heard, not so long ago.

-MMS-

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 9135
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 342 times

Re: Writer Christopher Hitchens to undergo chemotherapy

#8

Post by PaulSacramento » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:06 am

I like Christopher.
Of all the militant atheists out there he is the most likeable, probably because he doesn't cover his atheism with a fake layer of intellectual superiority or "science", he just says he doesn't like religion because it can cause people to do bad things in his opinion AND because he wants to live his life without a "god looking over him".
He states his personal opinion and never makes it out to be any more than just that.
Sure he can be smug and arrogant at times, but that sells people !
LOL !
From what I gather from people who met him and even from the writings of those that debated him, he is a great guy, great sense of humour that just doesn't believe in God.
I hope he gets well and yes, part of me hopes that God gets through to Him, but you know what?
What happens, happens.

User avatar
August
Old School
Posts: 2402
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:22 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Texas
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Writer Christopher Hitchens to undergo chemotherapy

#9

Post by August » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:54 am

Well he has passed away. I hope he made his peace before he did, but I did not see anything like that reported.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com

User avatar
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:15 pm
Christian: Yes
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Writer Christopher Hitchens to undergo chemotherapy

#10

Post by StMonicaGuideMe » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:49 pm

August wrote:Well he has passed away. I hope he made his peace before he did, but I did not see anything like that reported.
Or if he did, do you really think "his people" would want that broadcast?
To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge".

User avatar
August
Old School
Posts: 2402
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:22 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Texas
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Writer Christopher Hitchens to undergo chemotherapy

#11

Post by August » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:53 am

StMonicaGuideMe wrote:
August wrote:Well he has passed away. I hope he made his peace before he did, but I did not see anything like that reported.
Or if he did, do you really think "his people" would want that broadcast?
O heck no. His body wasn't even cold when they starting turning him into an atheist martyr or saint. When will they understand that we don't care about public relations victories? It doesn't matter if we never know if he converted or not, all that matters is whether he did.

If he did not, then we are genuinely sad for him.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com

User avatar
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:15 pm
Christian: Yes
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Writer Christopher Hitchens to undergo chemotherapy

#12

Post by StMonicaGuideMe » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:44 pm

August wrote:
StMonicaGuideMe wrote:
August wrote:Well he has passed away. I hope he made his peace before he did, but I did not see anything like that reported.
Or if he did, do you really think "his people" would want that broadcast?
O heck no. His body wasn't even cold when they starting turning him into an atheist martyr or saint. When will they understand that we don't care about public relations victories? It doesn't matter if we never know if he converted or not, all that matters is whether he did.

If he did not, then we are genuinely sad for him.
Well said, well said.
To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge".

Post Reply