Prayer for a dear friend

Post all your prayer requests and responses here.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

Byblos wrote:Is it cruel or heartless to pray for his suffering to end, whatever that entails? I remember watching my father agonize more than any human should bear, before he succumbed to lung cancer at 53 (I was 16 at the time). I also remember wishing, hoping, praying he'd die already and how confused I was for even suggesting such a thing to God.
Thanks for saying that, Byblos.
Me too. I sat at my Dad's bedside after he had suffered a catastrophic CVA and while not a Christian at a time, I begged God to finish what had been done to him - the devastation was so terrible. And again 2 years later, because he had to live for those two years with that devastation, as he succumbed to an aggressive and debilitating cancer. It is soul-wracking to watch someone you love so dearly have to suffer so much and there is nothing you can do to fix it for them. He was so dear to me, the best father ever, and it was just too much to bear.

Now I can see there was some sense in those two years before he died as I was able to give to him all the love he had given to me, doing for him whatever needed doing - including strenuous advocacy against hospital systems for better care and seeing worthwhile changes made. Others saw and asked me to advocate for their relatives too, and hospital staff called me from their homes with significant "inside" information to use, and yes, there was some good that came out of all the bad. I see that now, but I certainly couldn't see it then. There was a lot of real love that was shared, and that was certainly good.
August
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

I believe God will not let more suffering come over us than He thinks is needed to achieve His ends, or that we can handle. I do not even contemplate praying for my friends life to end. God alone has power over life and death, and He will take my friend when his mission on earth is complete.

Having said that, it is very sad to see a man who has such a zest for life in his psyche not have the physical ability to do what he used to.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
August
Old School

Post by August »

A short update, unfortunately the end is near for my friend. I saw him last night, and he has lost about 30 pounds in the last 2 months. He will probably have to start treatment for kidney and liver failure next week, and he is in excruciating pain almost all the time.

Please keep Kerry in your prayers, pray for the relief of his suffering, and also that he will trust God fully in his last days.

Thanks.
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

Will do so, August, and that the pain will be managed well and that Kerry will not be too troubled by it. This is hard for all concerned, but hopefully much love and faith, thanksgiving and joy will be shared among the tears as well.
August
Old School

Post by August »

Thanks Judah. It is tough, I presided over his wedding, and now it looks as if I will conduct his funeral too.

godslanguage

Post by godslanguage »

August wrote:Thanks Judah. It is tough, I presided over his wedding, and now it looks as if I will conduct his funeral too.
OMG...this is terrible August. I'm usually reading here on this thread but I feel so bad and sick to my stomach I cannot read further and I'm usually hesitant to post anything. August...I will pray for your friend...if this is really the final outcome than he is in God's hands now...we can only pray that your friend does not suffer anymore than he already has. But miracles do happen and Gods works are abundant, God will be looking over your friend I have no doubt about it.

I have just recently found out my mom's sister is dieing from brain cancer. She had lung cancer a few years ago and even though the operation was successful she has another fatal complication to worry about. She is only 54 years old. I have a feeling this is it for her as well. For the past 35 years she has smoked 1 or even 2 packs of cigarettes a day...because of that it is no surprise that she is in this situation. I don't know what to say August...i'm out of words...hearing you and everyone here and now experiencing the same difficulties has really drained me mentally and physically.

Everyone should know that I am praying even though I'm not posting.

God bless you August and your friend, hope you make it through with peace and with the power of the holy spirit.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

August - my prayers are indeed with you. God is the only thing that makes sense in this world of suffering. Without him it is all in vein. I believe that and I pray that your friend also believes that, and that whatever the outcome, his future is secure in the loving arms of our Father and his Son and the Holy Spirit.

God Bless.

Silvertusk
August
Old School

Post by August »

Friends, thanks for the uplifting words and prayers.

It is so true that it is all in God's hands. There is good in all that happens, even if we do not understand why. I try to understand, and ask for wisdom from God, but it's still hard, especially when your friend looks you in the eye and says that he doesn't want to die like that. How do you answer that? Most things you say sound hollow and meaningless.

All we can do is listen, and try to make sure as far as possible that they completely trust God.

Thanks for listening and praying for my friend.

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

August,

I'm very sorry to hear this news.. I have no idea what I'd be doing if I was in this situation... It's only something that God can reveal...

Someone told me the other day something that gave me some comfort. She said, "It isn't over till God says it's over."

You and your friend will be in my prayers..

God bless...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

August, is there an update for us about your friend?
How is he doing? He was about to start treatment about 3 weeks ago, and it was looking then that the end wasn't far away. I hope the docs have got him on some effective pain management, but that he is still able to talk with you all and appreciate your love for him.
August
Old School

Post by August »

Judah, thanks for asking. He is doing ok, but slowly getting weaker. The original diagnosis gave him no longer than March 1st, but now it seems as if he may hang on a little longer.

Please continue to keep him and his family in your prayers.

Also, please add Tony to your list if you don't mind. He is one of my son's football coaches who was diagnosed with colon cancer on Friday, and will be having surgery on Tuesday.

Thanks

John

Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

Oh no, colon cancer is what took my Dad in the end. But I am sure Tony is much younger and far more resilient than my Dad was, and that the prognosis will be much brighter for him. I will remember him too, along with Kerry, and I am glad to hear that you are being allowed more time together than first thought.
August
Old School

Post by August »

I am sad to share with all of you that my friend Kerry has gone to be with the Lord today. His place on earth will be empty. Please remember his wife and 3 children in your prayers.

Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

I had that horrible sinking feeling when I saw your name against this thread, August, and knew then that Kerry had gone.
That is so sad for all who are left, but there will be much rejoicing in heaven as he is greeted there by our Lord.
A great many mixed feelings, no doubt. I am so sorry, August - but happy for him as well.

BTW, how is Tony doing?
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

August wrote:I am sad to share with all of you that my friend Kerry has gone to be with the Lord today. His place on earth will be empty. Please remember his wife and 3 children in your prayers.
Very sorry to hear this news John... He was only 42? Our prayers will be for his wife and his children...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8